Marches to Capitols / Washington D.C. / Moscow

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Marches to Capitols / Washington D.C. / Moscow

Post by Ernie »

This is a thread to discuss the similarities and differences between the march to the D.C. Capitol, January 6, 2021, and the march to Moscow, June 24, 2023.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Marches to Capitols / Washington D.C. / Moscow

Post by Ernie »

Both claimed to be the true patriots.

Both brought weapons with them.

Both shocked the world and their own country.

Both had a populist leader ordering the march to happen.

People died in both situations.

March to D.C. did not include a division of the military like the march to Moscow.

March to Moscow turned back before reaching the capitol.

Many more and larger weapons were included in the march to Moscow.

March to Moscow had 25,000 people. 120,000 people showed up at the D.C. mall.

The leader of the Moscow march fled to a neighboring country.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I don't see many similarities

One was a public protest over election results that turned violent and that certain organizers may have intended to turn violent. To the extent that there was an objective, it seems to have been to disrupt and delay certification of the election.

One was a military operation by a rogue quasi-private army with somewhat vague objectives that seem mostly to do with disagreements about the overall direction and leadership of military operations in Ukraine.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Question can be raised about intent of those who marched on DC. There is no question as to the intent behind the March on Moscow.

Questions then can be raised as to what lies were fed to both. I doubt for example that the people marching on Moscow knew they would end up part of the Russian army. They were lied to.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:19 pm Questions then can be raised as to what lies were fed to both. I doubt for example that the people marching on Moscow knew they would end up part of the Russian army. They were lied to.
Part of what seems to have sparked Prigozhin‘a coup attempt was a new requirement that mercenaries and volunteer soldiers fighting for Russia would have to sign new contracts with the Russian military, which meant that Prigozhin was going to lose control of Wagner Group soldiers in Russia anyway. It’s my understanding from the deal is that only Wagner Group soldiers that didn’t participate In the coup would now be given contracts with the Russian army.
Last edited by Szdfan on Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Ernie wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:59 pm Both had a populist leader ordering the march to happen.
Prigozhin isn’t really a populist leader. He’s an oligarch with his own paramilitary that the Kremlin used for military operations around the world while maintaining plausible deniability. Outside of Putin’s patronage, Prigozhin didn’t really have political support.

I think that before and during the coup, Prigozhin was trying to transition into a populist leader, but that’s not really been his role until now.

There’s also a difference between a populist leader inciting his followers to march versus the leader (and owner) of a paramilitary ordering his private military to move towards a target.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:19 pm Question can be raised about intent of those who marched on DC. There is no question as to the intent behind the March on Moscow.
Really?

What in your mind was the actual intent behind the march on Moscow?

Because none of the news sources I have read seem to have a definitive grasp on the actual motivations and intent behind it.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr