Reinländer Mennonite Church in Campeche, Mexico

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Disciple of Christ
Affiliation: Impartial Christian

Reinländer Mennonite Church in Campeche, Mexico

Post by Disciple of Christ »

There are three colonies associated with the Reinländer Mennonite Church (Reinländer Gemeinde) in Mexico: two in Chihuahua (Swift Current and Santa Rita) and one in Campeche.

Does anybody know the name of the colony in Campeche?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Reinländer Mennonite Church in Campeche, Mexico

Post by Sudsy »

Disciple of Christ wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:24 pm There are three colonies associated with the Reinländer Mennonite Church (Reinländer Gemeinde) in Mexico: two in Chihuahua (Swift Current and Santa Rita) and one in Campeche.

Sorry, I don't but we do have a New Reinland Mennnonite Church here in Ontario Canada down here in the south near Wheatley. Curious - would they be associated with those you mentioned ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Disciple of Christ

D. E. Kraybill wrote in his "Concise Encyclopedia of Amish, Brethren, Hutterites, and Mennonites" (2010):

"Reinländ Mennonite Church (Reinländer Gemeinde) After the most conservative faction of Old Colony Mennonites in Mexico's Swift Current Colony migrated to Boliva in 1979, the remaining members affiliated with the Reinländ Mennonite Church in Manitoba, which had divided from the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church in Manitoba in 1958. The Reinländ Church in Mexico has about 1,675 members in three colonies (...)"

I'm not sure how the Reinländ MC in Manitoba is related to your RMC in Ontario.
Sudsy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:15 am
Disciple of Christ wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:24 pm There are three colonies associated with the Reinländer Mennonite Church (Reinländer Gemeinde) in Mexico: two in Chihuahua (Swift Current and Santa Rita) and one in Campeche.

Sorry, I don't but we do have a New Reinland Mennnonite Church here in Ontario Canada down here in the south near Wheatley. Curious - would they be associated with those you mentioned ?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

The GAMEO article on Old Colony Mennonites lists several in Campeche, but it's not obvious which are more closely associated with Reinländer than the others, if there's a difference.

Here's the church Sudsy referred to.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Disciple of Christ

The main difference is that most Old Colony mennonites in Campeche reject cars and stress steel wheels and the Reinländer Church for obvious reasons doesn't.
ohio jones wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:41 am

The GAMEO article on Old Colony Mennonites lists several in Campeche, but it's not obvious which are more closely associated with Reinländer than the others, if there's a difference.

Here's the church Sudsy referred to.
0 x