Tiffany Stained Glass Windows

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Tiffany Stained Glass Windows

Post by Szdfan »

Paul Brown, an antiques dealer from Lancaster, recently got lucky when the stained glass church windows he purchased turned to be from famed decorative glass company Tiffany.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/11/us/t ... sContainer
But last fall, he decided to buy two large round windows that were covered in grime and encased high in the stone walls of a dilapidated Gothic Revival church in West Philadelphia, which was built in 1901 and had originally been named St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church.

The church’s new owner, the Emmanuel Christian Center, planned to get rid of the windows to convert the building into a worship space and youth center for its 400 members.
Mr. Brown said he paid $6,000 for the windows, as well as some wooden pews and doors, and hired workers who spent weeks on scaffolds, grinding and cutting the glass out of the wall.

He packed the pieces in moving blankets, put them in the back of his truck and took them to Freeman’s, a Philadelphia auction house, to have them appraised, he said.

What the auction house told him days later was a shock, he said.

According to Freeman’s, the rose windows, roughly eight feet in diameter, had been crafted in about 1904 by Tiffany Studios, the renowned New York firm founded by Louis Comfort Tiffany, the Gilded Age designer known for his ornate leaded-glass lamps.

Both windows are slated for auction on May 18, and have an estimated value of $150,000 to $250,000 each, Freeman’s said.
It's my understanding that Tiffany stained glass windows are rare. The company is better known for its lamps.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Tiffany Stained Glass Windows

Post by Grace »

It's my understanding that Tiffany stained glass windows are rare. The company is better known for its lamps.
I saw that in the newspaper this morning. I am one who is is quick to throw things out. Hubby is the opposite, because he says you never know somethings worth, until you research it. The buyer of the church now regrets not researching the origins of the stained glass windows.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

A Holdeman church met for a while in a space that was full of Tiffany stained glass windows. Quite a piece of history there.

It's a shame that these kind of things end up sold off to the highest bidder for a private collection, instead of being visible for the public to enjoy.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Absolutely beautiful! I am surprised that King Richards Liturgical Design and Contracting did not get them.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God