MLK and the churches behind him

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: MLK and the churches behind him

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:54 am And what is this business about Black stores and White stores? That is the language of Jim Crow. Maybe you should visit the US and see how things actually are.
Maybe you should visit certain towns in Mississippi then. Whilst there aren't any "white only" stores, there are definitely "black only" stores (off the top of my head, they would be a self-service car wash, a barber shop, a package store (liquor store), and a gas station/convenience store). A customer like myself is not welcome in those establishments.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Joy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:45 pm There are still black businesses in the town, meaning run by people of color and not friendly to white people.
But it's not because of legal segregation that prohibitted whites and black from congregating togther. That's an important difference.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:49 pm
Ken wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:54 am And what is this business about Black stores and White stores? That is the language of Jim Crow. Maybe you should visit the US and see how things actually are.
Maybe you should visit certain towns in Mississippi then. Whilst there aren't any "white only" stores, there are definitely "black only" stores (off the top of my head, they would be a self-service car wash, a barber shop, a package store (liquor store), and a gas station/convenience store). A customer like myself is not welcome in those establishments.
I have lived and traveled in the south for a decade and a half. I have never felt unwelcome anywhere including in Black-run businesses in predominantly Black sides of town. Black-run businesses have been some of the warmest and most welcoming places I have ever visited. People might look at your curiously, especially in a barbershop that caters mostly to Black clients, but most will be friendly and happy to take your money or direct you to someone who can better help.

You seem to constantly expect the worst from people who aren't like you. Whether it is life in diverse cities, diverse schools, crime, and now here with Black-run businesses. Maybe you should examine your own prejudices because they seem to get in your own way far too often.
2 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:42 pm\
I have lived and traveled in the south for a decade and a half. I have never felt unwelcome anywhere including in Black-run businesses in predominantly Black sides of town. Black-run businesses have been some of the warmest and most welcoming places I have ever visited. People might look at your curiously, especially in a barbershop that caters mostly to Black clients, but most will be friendly and happy to take your money or direct you to someone who can better help.

You seem to constantly expect the worst from people who aren't like you. Whether it is life in diverse cities, diverse schools, crime, and now here with Black-run businesses. Maybe you should examine your own prejudices because they seem to get in your own way far too often.
... there are some places you haven't been to, then. It's a bit of a running joke or a hazing ritual for visitors in that particular town to take send some Northerner on an errand to one of those establishments and see what story he comes back with. (And it's often not that the business owner himself doesn't want you there, but he would prefer there be no mischief or crime scene in front of his store when you leave.)

I never said I had a problem with those particular towns, too. I think it's fine if some of them want to operate their businesses that way, and only cater to their own ethnic group. Lots of ethnic groups do that.

(Why do you always capitalise "black"?)
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:01 pm
Ken wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:42 pm\

... there are some places you haven't been to, then. It's a bit of a running joke or a hazing ritual for visitors in that particular town to take send some Northerner on an errand to one of those establishments and see what story he comes back with. (And it's often not that the business owner himself doesn't want you there, but he would prefer there be no mischief or crime scene in front of his store when you leave.)

I never said I had a problem with those particular towns, too. I think it's fine if some of them want to operate their businesses that way, and only cater to their own ethnic group. Lots of ethnic groups do that.

(Why do you always capitalise "black"?)
I think you will find that the number of Black-owned and run businesses where Whites are unwelcome is a tiny fraction of the total. Not saying they don't exist. There are rude people everywhere. But the are by no means the norm, even in the most Black neighborhoods in the country.

I capitalize Black and White in reference to race because it is now the standard accepted style when referring to people if you go by current style guides. It is capitalized when referring to race or ethnicity, not capitalized when just a color like a black t-shirt.

Black Americans
Hispanic Americans
White Americans
Anabaptist Americans
Asian Americans
Muslim Americans
etc.
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Szdfan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:40 pm
Joy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:45 pm There are still black businesses in the town, meaning run by people of color and not friendly to white people.
But it's not because of legal segregation that prohibitted whites and black from congregating togther.
That's an important difference.
It’s an important difference, unfortunately, one-sided.
i honestly know of no (white) neighborhood, business, community in the U.S. where POC would not feel safe to go, to attend, live.
There are strict laws as well as social constructs that demand this. (Not to say there might be edgy “feelings.”) Edgy feelings are not the same as fear of physical safety. (Granted, this is not as true presently, after the advent of snowflake mentality, wherein feelings are “everything.”)

As Joy and Josh are describing, the reverse is not true. This has been one oversight since the 1960’s.
There are plenty of places (white) folks are unwanted and unsafe due to skin color. It’s under the radar. Unfortunately, it may be increasing. We may pray not.

There are places where it’s risky to take a wrong exit off a highway.

There is ‘way more good than bad. There’s no honest denial of the presence of plenty of bad.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:15 pm i honestly know of no (white) neighborhood, business, community in the U.S. where POC would not feel safe to go, to attend, live.
There are strict laws as well as social constructs that demand this. (Not to say there might be edgy “feelings.”) Edgy feelings are not the same as fear of physical safety. (Granted, this is not as true presently, after the advent of snowflake mentality, wherein feelings are “everything.”)

As Joy and Josh are describing, the reverse is not true. This has been one oversight since the 1960’s.
There are plenty of places (white) folks are unwanted and unsafe due to skin color. It’s under the radar. Unfortunately, it may be increasing. We may pray not.

There is ‘way more good than bad. There’s no honest denial of the presence of plenty of bad.
I do know of such places. In fact, I know of a greater number of places where it is unsafe for Black people to be due to their skin color, than of places where it is unsafe for White people to be due to their skin color.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:28 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:15 pm i honestly know of no (white) neighborhood, business, community in the U.S. where POC would not feel safe to go, to attend, live.

I do know of such places. In fact, I know of a greater number of places where it is unsafe for Black people to be due to their skin color, than of places where it is unsafe for White people to be due to their skin color.
This surprises me, but i believe you because i generally believe you. It’s hard to imagine.
My experience seems normal+average, maybe it’s not. My life is pretty much in blue states. i go nowhere that isn’t mixed, where that isn’t considered normal.

This is another post-60’s problem, painting with broad brushes. There isn’t 1 U.S., there are many experiences within.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:39 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:28 pm

This surprises me, but i believe you because i generally believe you. It’s hard to imagine.
My experience seems normal+average, maybe it’s not. My life is pretty much in blue states.
Just to start, a whole lot of country and western bars in rural Texas and certainly many biker bars. Especially ones with confederate flags out front. Which is the modern way of putting up a “whites only” sign. But I wouldn’t expect you to be a well versed in such places.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I wouldn't expect anyone here to be well versed in such places.

But you never know with t1, she can be full of surprises. Nonetheless it did sound rather condescending.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited