MLK and the churches behind him

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: MLK and the churches behind him

Post by Szdfan »

temporal1 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:54 am i find it reprehensible, altho 100% predictable, that silentreader’s thoughtful and honest observations “must be” immediately dismissed and silenced ..

it’s more of the peculiar reasoning, “minority voices MUST be heard!” - until they become the majority, or, even better, the majority legal power, then, it’s step aside, “majority rules.” it’s like magic. sleight of hand.

i believe, according to scriptures, “the scales” of what is sinful/criminal/unjust, are not tipped for skin color or by tribes.
This is where human law seeks to be “smarter than God,” and fails miserably.
Multiple things can be true at the same time. Silentreader and other white people have had uncomfortable or hostile experiences in black majority spaces and it’s more likely for POC to experience racism than white people. One situation doesn’t cancel out the other.

This is the problem with universalizing one’s own experience. For example, you wrote:
temporal1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:15 pm i honestly know of no (white) neighborhood, business, community in the U.S. where POC would not feel safe to go, to attend, live.
How do you know? How does your experience as a white person determine whether or not POC feel safe in white dominated spaces?
2 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford