Pictures of Bible Lands

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Pictures of Bible Lands

Post by Ernie »

I'm looking for a stash of pictures from Bible Lands that gives pictures for mountains, bodies of water, and places found in the Bible.

BiblePlaces.com has exactly what I am looking for, but I can't pay their prices.
20 Volumes = $389 | https://www.bibleplaces.com/pictorial-l ... ble-lands/

Any other suggestions?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Pictures of Bible Lands

Post by Ken »

You could probably find them all individually on places like Wikimedia and other sites that host uncopyrighted photos. But you would need to search for each location individually.

For example: Sea of Galilee: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... of_Galilee
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:14 am You could probably find them all individually on places like Wikimedia and other sites that host uncopyrighted photos. But you would need to search for each location individually.

For example: Sea of Galilee: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... of_Galilee
I've been doing that but I want a collection instead.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

To add to your collection, the link below is to footage filmed in 1897 of Jerusalem's Jaffa Gate. The film has been digitally improved of course.
Article
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 am To add to your collection, the link below is to footage filmed in 1897 of Jerusalem's Jaffa Gate. The film has been digitally improved of course.
Article
While historically interesting, it doesn't show the cut in the adjacent wall made in 1898 to install a road. So the video shows neither what it looks like today, nor what it looked like in Bible times.

Ernie, you might want to look at the Biblical Archaeology Society library. It's not free (but at $35-$40 a year, certainly more affordable) and perhaps not organized quite as efficiently for your purposes as the other site, but does have a great deal of content.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:14 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 am To add to your collection, the link below is to footage filmed in 1897 of Jerusalem's Jaffa Gate. The film has been digitally improved of course.
Article
While historically interesting, it doesn't show the cut in the adjacent wall made in 1898 to install a road. So the video shows neither what it looks like today, nor what it looked like in Bible times.

Ernie, you might want to look at the Biblical Archaeology Society library. It's not free (but at $35-$40 a year, certainly more affordable) and perhaps not organized quite as efficiently for your purposes as the other site, but does have a great deal of content.
Nevertheless it does give a feel for the activity in that area. Human activity rarely changes over centuries. Any painting, photograph or film is, by its very nature, simply a snapshot of a moment in time. That is the case with any photo Ernie collects. Places change every moment, every day from the minute erosions of materials to the maximal renovations of an urban renewal project. I think it is important that we give Ernie as much support as possible without nitpicking each contribution.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God