When the Puritans Banned Christmas

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

When the Puritans Banned Christmas

Post by Szdfan »

https://slate.com/human-interest/2005/1 ... equel.html
Between 1659 and 1681, Christmas celebrations were outlawed in the [Massachusetts] colony, and the law declared that anyone caught “observing, by abstinence from labor, feasting or any other way any such days as Christmas day, shall pay for every such offense five shillings.” Finding no biblical authority for celebrating Jesus’ birth on Dec. 25, the theocrats who ran Massachusetts regarded the holiday as a mere human invention, a remnant of a heathen past. They also disapproved of the rowdy celebrations that went along with it. “How few there are comparatively that spend those holidays … after an holy manner,” the Rev. Increase Mather lamented in 1687. “But they are consumed in Compotations, in Interludes, in playing at Cards, in Revellings, in excess of Wine, in Mad Mirth.”

After the English Restoration government reclaimed control of Massachusetts from the Puritans in the 1680s, one of the first acts of the newly appointed royal governor of the colony was to sponsor and attend Christmas religious services. Perhaps fearing a militant Puritan backlash, for the 1686 services he was flanked by redcoats. The Puritan disdain for the holiday endured: As late as 1869, public-school kids in Boston could be expelled for skipping class on Christmas Day.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: When the Puritans Banned Christmas

Post by Sudsy »

Romans 14:5,6
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.
Unity with diversity. verse 19 -
Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
These verses suggest to me that if any believer is persuaded in their thinking that celebrating Christmas is a celebration they care to do regarding the Lord's birth or if the opposite is the conviction of another Christian, then both should follow their conviction and not judge each other for their stand. We are to seek after peace and that is what the heavenly host proclaimed at Christ's birth - “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!”
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

... the law declared that anyone caught “observing, by abstinence from labor, feasting or any other way any such days as Christmas day, shall pay for every such offense five shillings.”
I wonder what happened when Christmas day fell on a Sunday, as it tends to do approximately 1/7 of the time? Were they required to abstain from labor per the blue laws, or to not abstain from labor per the red and green laws? :?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

ohio jones wrote:
... the law declared that anyone caught “observing, by abstinence from labor, feasting or any other way any such days as Christmas day, shall pay for every such offense five shillings.”
I wonder what happened when Christmas day fell on a Sunday, as it tends to do approximately 1/7 of the time? Were they required to abstain from labor per the blue laws, or to not abstain from labor per the red and green laws? :?
I understand that the viewpoint was that Christmas was to be ignored. It would be treated as any other Sunday. That's better than the churches that cancel Christmas Sunday services these days.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

JimFoxvog wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
I understand that the viewpoint was that Christmas was to be ignored. It would be treated as any other Sunday. That's better than the churches that cancel Christmas Sunday services these days.
As a youngster I was glad when a Sunday service was cancelled so we could do our gift exchanges and prepare for the big meal and not need to go to church. But when it came to New Year's celebration we had to attend a 'watch night service' that began around 10 PM and we were to be on our knees in prayer as the New Year came about at mid-night. Looking back this seems a bit odd to me to put the spiritual side of things somewhat aside at one date but not another.

Currently our MB church has a short Christmas Eve service. That, too, is puzzling on shorting that service so we can 'hang up our stockings' and such ? I suppose the argument for quality family time trumps some of the celebration of Christ's birth ? Interesting what we do and what could be/are the reasons we do it. Although we are not to judge each other's convictions, I think it is good to think about some traditions we may have picked up and are acting out for ourselves.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Szdfan wrote:https://slate.com/human-interest/2005/1 ... equel.html
Between 1659 and 1681, Christmas celebrations were outlawed in the [Massachusetts] colony, and the law declared that anyone caught “observing, by abstinence from labor, feasting or any other way any such days as Christmas day, shall pay for every such offense five shillings.” Finding no biblical authority for celebrating Jesus’ birth on Dec. 25, the theocrats who ran Massachusetts regarded the holiday as a mere human invention, a remnant of a heathen past. They also disapproved of the rowdy celebrations that went along with it. “How few there are comparatively that spend those holidays … after an holy manner,” the Rev. Increase Mather lamented in 1687. “But they are consumed in Compotations, in Interludes, in playing at Cards, in Revellings, in excess of Wine, in Mad Mirth.”

After the English Restoration government reclaimed control of Massachusetts from the Puritans in the 1680s, one of the first acts of the newly appointed royal governor of the colony was to sponsor and attend Christmas religious services. Perhaps fearing a militant Puritan backlash, for the 1686 services he was flanked by redcoats. The Puritan disdain for the holiday endured: As late as 1869, public-school kids in Boston could be expelled for skipping class on Christmas Day.
Was it a case of "If it's not commanded, it's forbidden"?
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i recently viewed a documentary on the Pilgrims. kinda sad.

Trailer: Ric Burns / The Pilgrims / 3 min.

i enjoy historical documentaries, attempts at reenactments.
it’s so hard to understand people IN ACCURATE CONTEXT of their day.
i always wonder, “where would i have been?” “what would i have done?” :?
i imagine tough times.

i have a lot of empathy, people TRY so hard.

i think it’s pretty safe to guess, we would be no better than any, and, maybe not as good.
one day we will be, might be, remembered in some light. what will it be?

i honestly doubt our current significance in history. i’m not sensing anything-much worth remembering. “The Annoying Ones?!” :lol:
many grand cultures have been covered up in history, leaving little or nothing behind.

i believe scriptures about this temporal world. :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN