400 Years of African Slavery in America

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: 400 Years of African Slavery in America

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:01 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:28 pm
mike wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:21 pm

I expect it's about profit. If it paid them to do that, they probably would already be doing that. At some point, it's easier and cheaper to just relocate the store to an area without such problems. Thus, food deserts and other deserts develop.
Which is an idiotic solution. Because all those thieves have cars. And there is nothing to indicate that particular store is located in a high crime area. It looks pretty suburban to me. They will just follow the stores wherever they go.
Really. That must be why flash mob thefts and looting happen all the time in Lancaster County, PA.
If all the stores between Philly and Lancaster close then they will drive all the way to Lancaster. Right now there is no reason to bother commuting 1.5 hours to Lancaster because there are probably a hundred closer stores.

I'm just pointing out that closing stores in specific neighborhoods isn't going to really accomplish much. Do they think the people in those neighborhoods will stop buying anything? Of course they won't. They will just be forced to drive further to do their shopping or thieving as the case may be.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:45 pm
mike wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:04 pm This is why we can't have nice things
Or maybe that store should actually hire some security rather than spending its profits on stock buybacks and such.
What do you expect “security” to do? They can’t do much except call the police.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:13 pmIf all the stores between Philly and Lancaster close then they will drive all the way to Lancaster. Right now there is no reason to bother commuting 1.5 hours to Lancaster because there are probably a hundred closer stores.

I'm just pointing out that closing stores in specific neighborhoods isn't going to really accomplish much. Do they think the people in those neighborhoods will stop buying anything? Of course they won't. They will just be forced to drive further to do their shopping or thieving as the case may be.
Actually, if store A has frequent theft and store B doesn’t, closing store A makes a lot of sense.

Perhaps the government in the two places is different. For example, where I live, the police and local businesses don’t tolerate theft, and prosecute anyone who tries. That means stores are more happy to be open here than in a place that tolerated it.

My little small town has better hours at the drugstore than San Francisco area drugstores do that now close at 6pm.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I thought I just heard on Mennonet that something similar IS happening with Amish bulk food stores.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:05 pm I thought I just heard on Mennonet that something similar IS happening with Amish bulk food stores.
Not similar at all, and that has been going on for years. The difference is that local law enforcement is very interested as is the prosecution in preventing and prosecuting theft.

Whereas big cities promoting “restorative justice” refuse to prosecute mass theft, which is now run by organised crime in places like California big cities or Philly.

Groups of people filling up bags of goods and marching out of a Target store is something entirely new. That did not used to be something that happened regularly. Now it is, because of the lack of prosecution.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:59 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:45 pm
mike wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:04 pm This is why we can't have nice things
Or maybe that store should actually hire some security rather than spending its profits on stock buybacks and such.
What do you expect “security” to do? They can’t do much except call the police.
They could re-design the stores like Costco where you go through a single exit point where there are staff and show your receipt. And yes, store security can detain people. In fact a lot of time stores hire off-duty cops who most certainly can detain and arrest people.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Most store owners prefer not to have armed security going around arresting people. This is a job for the police, not private business.
0 x