400 Years of African Slavery in America

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

400 Years of African Slavery in America

Post by Dan Z »

This summer marks the 400th anniversary of the first African slaves coming to American shores - in Virginia 1619. Twenty slaves were sold by pirates who had taken them from a Portuguese ship they had raided off of Mexico - and that began America's nearly 250 year history of enslaving those of African decent. It may seem like ages ago that slavery was abolished, but for reference, when I was born there were still black people alive who had been born into slavery - and the after-effects of that evil practice still ripple through society to this day.

In terms of moral opposition to slavery, Mennonites and Brethren, while not leaders in the abolitionist movement like Quakers and later Methodists, appear to have been among the faith groups opposing slavery. I would have hoped so - if they were true to their theological heritage, the teachings of Jesus would have compelled them to oppose slavery. The Quakers led the way in this country and England, but four Mennonite brothers signed the first Quaker-initiated Anti-Slavery declaration in the US 1688, in Germantown PA. In 1782 the Brethren church took up a question of a particular member's ownership and impregnation of a female slave. It was decided that the "negro wench" should be set free, and her children schooled and cared for. Not all Anabaptists took up the cause, some opposed it, and those who were Abolitionists were characteristically quiet and non-militant about it. However, a number of Mennonites participated in the underground railroad.

What are the dehumanizing causes of the day that we Anabaptists should be morally attuned to?
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: 400 Years of African Slavery in America

Post by Sudsy »

Dan Z wrote:This summer marks the 400th anniversary of the first African slaves coming to American shores - in Virginia 1619. Twenty slaves were sold by pirates who had taken them from a Portuguese ship they had raided off of Mexico - and that began America's nearly 250 year history of enslaving those of African decent. It may seem like ages ago that slavery was abolished, but for reference, when I was born there were still black people alive who had been born into slavery - and the after-effects of that evil practice still ripple through society to this day.

In terms of moral opposition to slavery, Mennonites and Brethren, while not leaders in the abolitionist movement like Quakers and later Methodists, appear to have been among the faith groups opposing slavery. I would have hoped so - if they were true to their theological heritage, the teachings of Jesus would have compelled them to oppose slavery. The Quakers led the way in this country and England, but four Mennonite brothers signed the first Quaker-initiated Anti-Slavery declaration in the US 1688, in Germantown PA. In 1782 the Brethren church took up a question of a particular member's ownership and impregnation of a female slave. It was decided that the "negro wench" should be set free, and her children schooled and cared for. Not all Anabaptists took up the cause, some opposed it, and those who were Abolitionists were characteristically quiet and non-militant about it. However, a number of Mennonites participated in the underground railroad.

What are the dehumanizing causes of the day that we Anabaptists should be morally attuned to?
Questioning what I bolded. So, why did Jesus and the letters written to the early church not compel the leaders of the country to oppose slavery ? Instead, the focus was on how to live as a Christian, whether a slave owner or a slave. I'm not saying abolition was wrong but I believe, regardless of the worldly system we are living under, there is a way to live as a Christ follower. Many believers are living under communism and very ruthless dictators. The same today, regardless of abortions and various abuses in the system we find ourselves in, our ways of Kingdom life is the same.

In my opinion, the less we are attuned to the ways of the Kingdom of Darkness, the more free we are to focus on being the Kingdom of Light.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-tod ... n-slavery/
Slavery did not end with abolition in the 19th century. Instead, it changed its forms and continues to harm people in every country in the world.

Whether they are women forced into prostitution, men forced to work in agriculture or construction, children in sweatshops or girls forced to marry older men, their lives are controlled by their exploiters, they no longer have a free choice and they have to do as they’re told. They are in slavery.

There are estimated 40.3 million people in modern slavery around the world.

10 million children
24.9 million people in forced labour
15.4 million people in forced marriage
4.8 million people in forced sexual exploitation
https://www.state.gov/what-is-modern-slavery/

It should be recognized that more people today are in slavery then int he 1700's. Does not make either right. Just means we do need to open our eyes to a few things.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Sudsy wrote: So, why did Jesus and the letters written to the early church not compel the leaders of the country to oppose slavery? Instead, the focus was on how to live as a Christian, whether a slave owner or a slave. I'm not saying abolition was wrong but I believe, regardless of the worldly system we are living under, there is a way to live as a Christ follower. Many believers are living under communism and very ruthless dictators. The same today, regardless of abortions and various abuses in the system we find ourselves in, our ways of Kingdom life is the same.
This is not surprising. Much of Christ's teachings, and most of the epistles are written to believers, as you say, to encourage them in their way of Kingdom life. Christ and his Apostles taught the sacredness of human life, love for neighbor and enemy, care for the "least of these," and they taught against exploitation, violence, oppression, etc. Jesus also had strong words for the excesses and wrongs of the wealthy and powerful. Just because Christ and his apostles didn't list slavery, prostitution, or other societal wrongs by name doesn't mean that they were ambivalent about these things. The ethical teachings of Jesus condemn the evils of slavery, he didn't have to name it - and his followers who were/are attuned to his teachings and example would have had no choice but to see this truth.

In 1688 the Quakers (along with a few Mennonites) wrote their statement opposing slavery based simply on the Golden Rule - "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." That's enough right there for a Christ follower to reject slavery. Slaves were property, and they could be treated as such - whipped, raped, worked to exhaustion, starved, sold, traded, used and abused at their master's will - enriching the lives of their owners and slave-traders, and reaping virtually no personal benefit for their labors. If the ethics of Christ do not teach against such a thing as slavery, I'm not sure what they do say then.
In my opinion, the less we are attuned to the ways of the Kingdom of Darkness, the more free we are to focus on being the Kingdom of Light.

Sudsy, I understand that you are pushing back agains activist Christianity - that get's sidetracked by politics and political causes. I'm with you in that regard. Our primary role is not to reform the Kingdoms of this world, but to help usher in an entirely new and upside-down Kingdom - the rule of King Jesus. But we are called to care about those oppressed, and to bear witness in word and deed to the way of Jesus. We are not given license to ignore the sufferings of others, near or far. It should be noted that Christians played a central role in ending government sanctioned slavery in this country and in England and I, for one, am glad they paid attention to what was going on in the "Kingdom of Darkness." I suspect the spirits of millions of freed slaves would echo that "Amen."
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

What does the Bible say to both masters and slaves? The New Testament speaks directly to both.
0 x
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote:What does the Bible say to both masters and slaves? The New Testament speaks directly to both.
Yes it does - It says serve one another, and seek the lowest place. It says do not consider yourself more highly than you ought. It says do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It says if you don't love your neighbor, then you don't love God. It says the workman is worthy of his wages. It says that the difference between the sheep and goats is how they cared for the lowest members of society. It says to pray for those who persecute you, and despitefully use you. It says overcome evil with good. It says lots to slaves and slave owners - and its teaching is a moral indictment against the evils of slavery.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Dan Z wrote:
Josh wrote:What does the Bible say to both masters and slaves? The New Testament speaks directly to both.
Yes it does - It says serve one another, and seek the lowest place. It says do not consider yourself more highly than you ought. It says do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It says if you don't love your neighbor, then you don't love God. It says the workman is worthy of his wages. It says that the difference between the sheep and goats is how they cared for the lowest members of society. It says to pray for those who persecute you, and despitefully use you. It says overcome evil with good. It says lots to slaves and slave owners - and its teaching is a moral indictment against the evils of slavery.
But notably absent is any impetus at all to agitate for broad societal change (other than preaching the good news and winning converts). This is where, I believe, authentic Christianity and Quakerism diverged, and why you eventually ended up with Nixon being a good Quaker but obviously not an authentic Christian.
0 x
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
But notably absent is any impetus at all to agitate for broad societal change (other than preaching the good news and winning converts). This is where, I believe, authentic Christianity and Quakerism diverged, and why you eventually ended up with Nixon being a good Quaker but obviously not an authentic Christian.
So, what is this good news then and who is it for? What is being salt and light all about? Jesus tells us here at the very beginning of his ministry...
  • Luke 4: So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written:
    • “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
      Because He has anointed Me
      To preach the good news to the poor;
      He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
      To proclaim liberty to the captives
      And recovery of sight to the blind,
      To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
      To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”

Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”
The cause of Christ is the ultimate agitation for "broad societal change." To quote the Seventh Angel of Revelation -"The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!”

If Christians proclaiming the ethics of Christ help ended slavery, bravo. If the Christian voice helps put an end to abortion, hooray. We are not given license to ignore or spiritualize the suffering of others at any level, local or global.
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Slavery, Sabbath, War, and Women: Case Issues in Biblical Interpretation (Conrad Grebel Lectures)
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Dan Z wrote:What are the dehumanizing causes of the day that we Anabaptists should be morally attuned to?
Human trafficking of sex slaves in our society comes to mind.
0 x