Historic Anabaptist Places (Pictures itt)

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Historic Anabaptist Places (Pictures itt)

Post by Swiss Bro »

I've been visiting a few historic anabaptist places since I am attending my current church which has anabaptist heritage. I thought I might as well share some pictures in particular as most of y'all don't live in the region. If this is the wrong subforum mods feel free to move the thread. If anyone else has pictures please share.

Here is a map with the locations of the places (green dots):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JvyhO ... sp=sharing

I'll start with a few pictures of the house at Gstadstrasse 25 in Zollikon, which belonged to Anabaptist Rudolf Thomann. Here, an assembly was held on 25 January 1525, where Hans Bruppacher was baptised by famous Jörg Blaurock. This was one of the first baptisms of the anabaptist movement. There is now a memorial plaque fixed to the house. You can see it on the second picture above the entrance. It says:

"The Free Church movement was realised for the first time in Zollikon by the Anabaptists. In this house one of the earliest assemblies took place on 25 January 1525"

0 x
Swiss Bro

Re: Historic Anabaptist Places (Pictures itt)

Post by Swiss Bro »

Next station is the "Anabaptist Trail" in and around Sumiswald in the Emmental region. Here's the link to an English pamphlet about the trail.

https://www.sumiswald.ch/wAssets/docs/t ... glisch.pdf

I walked it end of May of this year on a beautiful day. It is actually a circular path but we only did a bit more than half of it. We started at the Haslibacher homestead, home of the last anabaptist martyr in the canton of Berne, Hans Haslibacher. He was killed by the government in 1571 for his beliefs. The farm is still inhabited by the descendants of Hans who are not anabaptist, though. They are friendly and have set up a small "museum". It's really a small room only with a few memorabilia.

The "museum" is in that small barn. You got to get the key from the grandparents living in the small "Stöckli", next to the real farm. The cow on the stick is a custom announcing a new born baby. The Haslibacher family is not going to die out anytime soon, we had the chance to meet young baby Ben, the future heir to the farm.

The path goes through green pastures and with magnificent views to the Bernese alps. There are stations with informative plaques along the way. The next monument is the castle of Trachselwald, where anabaptist were imprisoned back in the day. It's a bit touristy (although we were alone to visit it on that day) with a prison chamber you can attach yourself to chains and listen to the Haslibacher Lied. The wood in the tower is carved over and over with names of anabaptist tourists from all over the world.

You then continue to the village of Sumiswald where a memorial plaque remembers the anabaptist martyrs who died there for their faith with Hans Haslibacher being the last.

0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Great photos, Swiss Bro. In some ways it seems the structures have changed very little. They're doing a good job of preserving the history.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

I've got one more for you. The Anabaptist Cave (Täuferhöhle) above Bäretswil in the Zurich highlands. It is a hiding place of the anabaptists. Felix Manz hid there, amongst others. It can be approached from Bäretswil in about 20 Minutes but we approached it from Girenbad, which takes about an hour. It involves some stairclimbing as well and I can imagine that it was quite inaccessible before these stairs were built.

Approaching the cave. Looking closely you can spot the waterfall in front of the cave on the second picture.

Inside the cave, it's quite spacious and nowadays also used by boyscouts for spending a night in the wilderness.

Meet my wife.

Looing out of the cave. Idyllic on a sunny day but I imagined how hard it was for these anabaptists to leave everything behind and to hide up here without knowing how things would develop for them. For some, like Manz, they did not end well as we all know.

That's all for now but if everything pans out as planned I should soon be able to post some new pictures. Watch this space :wave:
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The cave reminds me of the caves where Native Americans built their pueblos in the American Southwest. Here's one example
Balcony House
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ok, let me try my hand at this.
Cages in Munster, wherein was held the remains of the "Theocrats."

The "Mennokate, where Menno lived the last days of his life.

The Memorial stone for the Sattlers, in Rottenberg an Im.

The part of the Im, where Margaretha was likely drowned.

More later, God willing.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus

and finally, the Emmenthal "Old Baptist" church, likely the oldest Mennonite church in continuous operation.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cOG0N ... 81-h665-no
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

And finally, the Emmenthal "Old Baptist" church, likely the oldest Mennonite church in continuous operation.
0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Judas, your pictures don‘t work :cry:
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Swiss Bro wrote:Judas, your pictures don‘t work :cry:
Noted. They worked when I sent it. I am using google pictures. Any advice?

J.M.
0 x