Winning versus Annihilation

A place to discuss history and historical events.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Winning versus Annihilation

Post by temporal1 »

Larry Elder / America is not a racist country | Larry Elder LIVE at University of Michigan / -55min

He speaks during the first half, then takes Q+A. ^^^

From the former page:
.. i suggest “may not,” because, in keeping with the spirit of your overall post, any change should be discussed and agreed by all parties. to my knowledge, no such attempt was ever made. it’s been wholesale aggression without intent of mutual understanding/agreement, actually war-like, and proudly so. further, altho some suggest transfer of statues to museums, predictably, the next step is to abolish such museums or spaces in museums. (not a way to “make friends and influence people,” so to speak.)

Dr Alveda King has a level-headed response with helpful suggestions regarding statues:

”Alveda King tells protesters: 'If you find yourself going into a rage over a statue, step back’ “

https://www.foxnews.com/media/alveda-ki ... tatue-rage
This link should work. ^^ June 2020 report.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

Ken wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:13 pm I would argue that understanding and studying actual history is valuable. Glorifying false narratives and mythologies such as the "lost cause" is not.
For the vast majority who fought on the Confederate side of the war, a "lost cause" is exactly what it was. It was not sold to them as a way to preserve slavery, but as "states rights". This majority had no slaves, only about 20% were invested in it. Southern papers were even calling it the "rich man's war" by the second or third year.

Actual history is that it was not a glorious crusade to free the negro, it was to "preserve the Union" (and the taxes drawn from states like Mississippi- which was the richest state in the union at the time).

Let's not forget that 5 slave states- Deleware, Maryland, Kentucy, Missouri, and West Virginia, remained in the Union and their slaves were not freed by the emacipation proclamation.

And the vast majority of slaveholders lived in 2 states, Mississippi and S. Carolina. And the man who held the most slaves in S. Carolina- and indeed the entire country- was a black man.

It's not a clear-cut, black and white (no pun intended) issue.
0 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:41 pm
TY SMITH is a Christian, i presume not Anabaptist.

“Was America founded on racism? Is American history taught w/ truth? Were the founding fathers racist” / 1hr 36mn

Thomas Sowell has some (more formal, more academic) views that are similar.
Larry Elder has interesting insights.

i think many are disappointed in the narrowness of U.S. education. and, narrow specifically for partisan politics.
gov ed has never cost more. yet. results are lackluster.
It has become very much the indoctrination over education, IMO.

i’m encouraged graduates are getting out and searching for more. this is priceless.
Yes I follow Dr. Sowell, Ty Smith, and Larry Elder on You Tube. They all have interesting content, which I agree with more often than not.
1 x

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Outsider wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:43 pm
barnhart wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:29 am Outsider, in what way was General Lee anti-slavery.
https://libquotes.com/robert-e-lee/quotes/slavery

https://www.theoleseagull.com/general/a ... as-debate/
I see we likely agree on Lincoln's views concerning race, but I don't see evidence in these quotes that Lee was anti-slavery. As far as I can see in those quotes he said it was undesirable but necessary for an unknowable period of time.
1 x
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

barnhart wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:27 pm I see we likely agree on Lincoln's views concerning race, but I don't see evidence in these quotes that Lee was anti-slavery. As far as I can see in those quotes he said it was undesirable but necessary for an unknowable period of time.
Their chauvinism is reflected in the slavery still going on in Africa today.

0 x

barnhart

Post by barnhart »

If you enjoy that content, you might like the Glen Lowry show. I try to catch it when John McWhorter is co-hosting.
0 x
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

barnhart wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:32 pm If you enjoy that content, you might like the Glen Lowry show. I try to catch it when John McWhorter is co-hosting.
Is it on You Tube? Do you have a link?
0 x

barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Podcast. I find it an elevated discussion platform that covers some of the area I suspect the other options may focus on. Especially McWhorter.

Edit: Loury not Lowry.
Last edited by barnhart on Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

12 min edited version:
Outsider wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:29 pm Their chauvinism is reflected in the slavery still going on in Africa today.

Balanced history should not be a surprise. Not in the U.S.!
Gov school ed has never cost more in taxpayer dollars.
The U.S. DOE is in need of a complete overhaul.

Thanks for adding this short version of the lengthy livestream above. The lengthy version is not easy to get through, but it’s worthwhile. [i’m not sure if he was able to get all of what (Afridamus) said?]

Anyway, an interesting informal chat between these men.

This is where home schools and private schools can do so much better than gov schools. BALANCED CONTENT.
There is so much fascinating history.

It’s such a shame to be so limited in scope.
Esp when realizing it’s all about partisan politics, all about access to the Public Treasury.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

barnhart wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:22 pm Podcast. I find it an elevated discussion platform that covers some of the area I suspect the other options may focus on. Especially McWhorter.

Edit: Loury not Lowry.
I think I've heard of him or seen him in "replying" posts on YouTube, I may be wrong. But I'll try to check him out. If his podcast is free... :shock:
0 x