Race in America: The Marital Counselor Analogy

A place to discuss history and historical events.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Race in America: The Marital Counselor Analogy

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:02 pm
RZehr wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:54 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:50 pm From what I know, I think this was a factor with one person.
But is that really a race issue, or is it a general issue? after all, many white people have left (at least apparently) for the same reason - the way things are discussed here.
I think people kept talking about what black people should think and feel and how they should vote, and she decided this was not a friendly place to engage with white Christians.

Too many white people convinced they are the experts about black people. It wasn't comfortable for her.
I don't doubt that she experienced that.
I would point out, that there are just as many people on this forum convinced that they are experts about any given topic. And that this forum is color blind. At least until someone volunteers their color.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:01 pm I would point out, that there are just as many people on this forum convinced that they are experts about any given topic. And that this forum is color blind. At least until someone volunteers their color.
I don't think this forum is color blind. I think color affects the way people respond to events in the news. I think some people feel free to say how black people should think, feel, and act, but don't talk about how white people should think, feel, and act. I think most people do see color, just as they see gender.

But I do think that some black people who have shown up here, briefly, have chosen not to divulge their skin color.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:54 am
RZehr wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:01 pm I would point out, that there are just as many people on this forum convinced that they are experts about any given topic. And that this forum is color blind. At least until someone volunteers their color.
I don't think this forum is color blind. I think color affects the way people respond to events in the news. I think some people feel free to say how black people should think, feel, and act, but don't talk about how white people should think, feel, and act. I think most people do see color, just as they see gender.

But I do think that some black people who have shown up here, briefly, have chosen not to divulge their skin color.
Maybe you read a different portion of the forum than I do, but I certainly have never felt there was a dearth on this forum of people being very free to talk about how white people should think, feel and act....
3 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

You can tell someone’s color before it is divulged? Is this the sort of racial assumption you don’t want white people to make?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:30 pm

You can tell someone’s color before it is divulged? Is this the sort of racial assumption you don’t want white people to make?
Not all communication is public.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?