MennoNet and Genealogy

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: MennoNet and Genealogy

Post by Szdfan »

silentreader wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:44 pm It is interesting to me that there are numerous words in the PA Deutsch that are also in Yiddish. I am not sure which direction the 'contamination' went but I am guessing it was Schwaben Deutsch words that were taken into the Yiddish.
Yiddish is influenced by High German, not Schwaben Deutsch. Ashkenazim Jews came to Central Europe during the Roman era and it's believed that Yiddish first emerged among Jews in the Rhineland Valley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish
The established view is that, as with other Jewish languages, Jews speaking distinct languages learned new co-territorial vernaculars, which they then Judaized. In the case of Yiddish, this scenario sees it as emerging when speakers of Zarphatic (Judeo-French) and other Judeo-Romance languages began to acquire varieties of Middle High German, and from these groups the Ashkenazi community took shape. Exactly what German substrate underlies the earliest form of Yiddish is disputed. The Jewish community in the Rhineland would have encountered the Middle High German dialects from which the Rhenish German dialects of the modern period would emerge. Jewish communities of the high medieval period would have been speaking their own versions of these German dialects, mixed with linguistic elements that they themselves brought into the region, including many Hebrew and Aramaic words, but there is also Romance.
The word "Yiddish" comes from "yidish daytsh" (Jewish German) and is a corruption of the German word for Jewish (jüdisch)
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Ken wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:03 pm
Szdfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:57 pm
joshuabgood wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:40 pm Yiddish is close to/influence by German. PA Dutch, as has been said, is really PA Deutsch. That is, Deutsch is German. So the Yiddish/Deutsch connection is pretty obvious.
I can understand both bits of PA Dutch and Yiddish because of my fluency in High German. There's also a lot of Hebrew in Yiddish that I don't understand.
When the state of Israel was formed it was apparently a close call whether to make the official language Hebrew or Yiddish. Yiddish was favored by conservative religious Jews and more spoken by the lower classes. Hebrew was favored by the more cultural and political elite.
Apparently, Yiddish was banned in Israel from the 1950s until the 80s but has made a revival since then.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Yiddish is estimated to be 200,000 speakers in Israel. For comparison, standard German is estimated (in Israel) to be 100,000 speakers.

Yiddish is estimated to have 100,000 speakers in America and PA Dutch 300,000... although those numbers probably are higher now than when this data was last collected. There are about 400,000 Amish people in America and it can be safely assumed nearly all of them are PA Dutch speakers. Some analysts think the number of Yiddish speakers is also growing. For comparison, about 1.9 million Americans claim to speak German as a first language, most likely because they are migrants from a German-speaking country.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Szdfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:14 pm
silentreader wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:44 pm It is interesting to me that there are numerous words in the PA Deutsch that are also in Yiddish. I am not sure which direction the 'contamination' went but I am guessing it was Schwaben Deutsch words that were taken into the Yiddish.
Yiddish is influenced by High German, not Schwaben Deutsch. Ashkenazim Jews came to Central Europe during the Roman era and it's believed that Yiddish first emerged among Jews in the Rhineland Valley.

The established view is that, as with other Jewish languages, Jews speaking distinct languages learned new co-territorial vernaculars, which they then Judaized. In the case of Yiddish, this scenario sees it as emerging when speakers of Zarphatic (Judeo-French) and other Judeo-Romance languages began to acquire varieties of Middle High German, and from these groups the Ashkenazi community took shape. Exactly what German substrate underlies the earliest form of Yiddish is disputed. The Jewish community in the Rhineland would have encountered the Middle High German dialects from which the Rhenish German dialects of the modern period would emerge. Jewish communities of the high medieval period would have been speaking their own versions of these German dialects, mixed with linguistic elements that they themselves brought into the region, including many Hebrew and Aramaic words, but there is also Romance.
The word "Yiddish" comes from "yidish daytsh" (Jewish German) and is a corruption of the German word for Jewish (jüdisch)
If you look back you'll notice I said 'contamination' not origin. There are several words that are pretty much exactly the same in pronunciation and meaning in PA Deutsch and in Yiddish. One that readily comes to mind is 'mensch'.
We live in a largish (real) Dutch community. Our common language is English.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

silentreader wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:55 pm

If you look back you'll notice I said 'contamination' not origin. There are several words that are pretty much exactly the same in pronunciation and meaning in PA Deutsch and in Yiddish. One that readily comes to mind is 'mensch'.
We live in a largish (real) Dutch community. Our common language is English.
"Mensch" is the high German word for "person."The word originates from the Old High German word "mennisco."

PA Dutch and Yiddish both got that word from German.

What other words are similar in PA Dutch and Yiddish?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: Speaking of genealogies and language similarities, I found out that the meaning of an ancestor’s maiden name was “grasping innkeeper”. Oy. :roll:

I’m sure someone could guess the ethnicity of that relative, and maybe the language similarity might get you to guess close to the name. Google or chatgpt is cheating
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Soloist wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:27 pm

Wife: Speaking of genealogies and language similarities, I found out that the meaning of an ancestor’s maiden name was “grasping innkeeper”. Oy. :roll:

I’m sure someone could guess the ethnicity of that relative, and maybe the language similarity might get you to guess close to the name. Google or chatgpt is cheating
I cheated. That is interesting
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Soloist wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:27 pm Wife: Speaking of genealogies and language similarities, I found out that the meaning of an ancestor’s maiden name was “grasping innkeeper”. Oy. :roll:
This is not genealogically related, and doesn't give anything away, but my favorite fictional innkeeper name is Barliman Butterbur of Bree, proprietor of the Prancing Pony.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

ohio jones wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:53 pm
Soloist wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:27 pm Wife: Speaking of genealogies and language similarities, I found out that the meaning of an ancestor’s maiden name was “grasping innkeeper”. Oy. :roll:
This is not genealogically related, and doesn't give anything away, but my favorite fictional innkeeper name is Barliman Butterbur of Bree, proprietor of the Prancing Pony.
Nerd.
0 x