Worldbook Encyclopedia Censorship Topics

A place to discuss history and historical events.
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Re: Worldbook Encyclopedia Censorship Topics

Post by cooper »

I wasn't able to find contact information, but there is a conservative Mennonite guy who downloaded Wikipedia onto a flash drive and censored topics conservative Mennonites find objectionable. It costs around $120.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

cooper wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 pm I wasn't able to find contact information, but there is a conservative Mennonite guy who downloaded Wikipedia onto a flash drive and censored topics conservative Mennonites find objectionable. It costs around $120.
Considering Wikipedia’s licence which mandates unrestricted copying, if you can find someone with a copy of that, you can legally make as many copies as you want to give to other people.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

cooper wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 pm I wasn't able to find contact information, but there is a conservative Mennonite guy who downloaded Wikipedia onto a flash drive and censored topics conservative Mennonites find objectionable. It costs around $120.
Is that actually legal and does it fall under the "fair use" copyright restrictions for Wikipedia content?

I'm not sure it is actually legal to appropriate Wikipedia content as your own and sell it. But I could be wrong about that.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Of all the literature in my house, my 2001 set of encyclopedias is the least of my concern. Unless something really changed in the last 20+ years 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:38 pm
Is that actually legal and does it fall under the "fair use" copyright restrictions for Wikipedia content?

I'm not sure it is actually legal to appropriate Wikipedia content as your own and sell it. But I could be wrong about that.
Wikipedia has a ShareAlike licence. So you can modify it and sell it, but:

- You must give attribution that the text came from Wikipedia
- You must grant the same licence for your own changes
- You can’t prohibit someone from redistributing it including your new changes.

Anyone you sold it to could resell it, or just distribute copies for free.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Samuel Hoover. Home Office Resource.
I have both his address and email, and will send it via private message if anyone wants it. (I would need to ask him before posting it publicly.)

He has several different versions, for children, for parents, and for teachers. He also updates it every year. He also includes other helpful resources for medical care centers, etc.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Neto wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 am
I have both his address and email, and will send it via private message if anyone wants it. (I would need to ask him before posting it publicly.)

He has several different versions, for children, for parents, and for teachers. He also updates it every year. He also includes other helpful resources for medical care centers, etc.
This is advertised in Plain Communities Business Exchange.

1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:38 pm

Most of Wikipedia is under the Creative Commons license, which is legal to reuse for commercial use.
https://creativecommons.org/share-your- ... al%20terms.
This license enables reusers to distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon the material in any medium or format, so long as attribution is given to the creator. The license allows for commercial use. If you remix, adapt, or build upon the material, you must license the modified material under identical terms.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

mike wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:02 am
Neto wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 am

This is advertised in Plain Communities Business Exchange.

Yes, that's him. I'd say he has done a tremendous amount of work, pouring through basically all of the articles that might contain photos, diagrams, or text info that a conservative parent would not want to have available to a child. (It is, of course, a parent's rightful place to be able to do this. I remember the remarks I heard from other HS kids, looking at their biology books. And they were also passed around to younger students. It's the nature of the beast - lust.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Neto wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:00 pm Yes, that's him. I'd say he has done a tremendous amount of work, pouring through basically all of the articles that might contain photos, diagrams, or text info that a conservative parent would not want to have available to a child. (It is, of course, a parent's rightful place to be able to do this. I remember the remarks I heard from other HS kids, looking at their biology books. And they were also passed around to younger students. It's the nature of the beast - lust.)
Definitely one of many business opportunities to serve the portions of the plain community that don't want to use the Internet.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3