Desmond Doss: The Adventist Conscientious Objector

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Desmond Doss: The Adventist Conscientious Objector

Post by Soloist »

Humble Disciple wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:32 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:20 pm as far as it goes, Mel Gibson is a very bloody director and as Christians we should not be involved in watching a movie to celebrate war.
No one from my church would even hardly be aware the a movie was made, but they would know his story.
Is it celebrating war or showing the reality of war in order to celebrate the heroism of a contentious objector?
I didn't watch the movie but the reality of war isn't something to sell on the screen. Why would we enjoy seeing men killed violently with blood and guts flying? Besides, Mel Gibson removed some of the factual heroism because he believed Americans wouldn't believe it.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:34 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:20 pm as far as it goes, Mel Gibson is a very bloody director and as Christians we should not be involved in watching a movie to celebrate war.
No one from my church would even hardly be aware the a movie was made, but they would know his story.
Is it celebrating war or showing the reality of war in order to celebrate the heroism of a contentious objector?
I didn't watch the movie but the reality of war isn't something to sell on the screen. Why would we enjoy seeing men killed violently with blood and guts flying? Besides, Mel Gibson removed some of the factual heroism because he believed Americans wouldn't believe it.
I found the movie inspirational. I think there is power in his approach of going to the front lines and facing the bullets as opposed to going somewhere safe in CPS.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Are you implying COs who go to MVS or CPSI etc are somehow not doing the right thing?

Is going to the front lines “better”?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

joshuabgood wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:00 pm
I found the movie inspirational. I think there is power in his approach of going to the front lines and facing the bullets as opposed to going somewhere safe in CPS.
Clips of this movie showed up on my Youtube feed, hence the reason I took notice of it. I may have seen bits of it over the years. I have a 4-day weekend in front of me.... maybe I'll check it out.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Only an Anz
Affiliation: ex-Eastern

Post by Only an Anz »

I was raised Mennonite and quite liked the movie.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:34 pm
Humble Disciple wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:32 pmIs it celebrating war or showing the reality of war in order to celebrate the heroism of a contentious objector?
JoshBGood - sorry, I'm just getting back to this discussion, but it seems like you may be implying that those who have gone the CPS route with their CO classifications generally did so in order to stay safe. Would that be a correct understanding of your comparison there?

As far as war movies and tales of heroism go, the movie was fairly inspirational, I thought. However, this being a discussion on a "Mennonite" site (and I do realize that has far looser implications than it used to), it might be noteworthy to consider that

A. Doss considered the war to be justified, even though he felt he could not personally kill, and therefore he chose to enlist because
B. he considered himself to be a "conscientious cooperator" rather than a "conscientious objector", a distinction that seems worthy of consideration...
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:36 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:34 pmI didn't watch the movie but the reality of war isn't something to sell on the screen. Why would we enjoy seeing men killed violently with blood and guts flying? Besides, Mel Gibson removed some of the factual heroism because he believed Americans wouldn't believe it.
JoshBGood - sorry, I'm just getting back to this discussion, but it seems like you may be implying that those who have gone the CPS route with their CO classifications generally did so in order to stay safe. Would that be a correct understanding of your comparison there?

As far as war movies and tales of heroism go, the movie was fairly inspirational, I thought. However, this being a discussion on a "Mennonite" site (and I do realize that has far looser implications than it used to), it might be noteworthy to consider that

A. Doss considered the war to be justified, even though he felt he could not personally kill, and therefore he chose to enlist because
B. he considered himself to be a "conscientious cooperator" rather than a "conscientious objector", a distinction that seems worthy of consideration...
The distinction between Doss and probably the majority of Mennonite COs was that he only objected to taking up arms himself. He did not object to putting on a uniform and being a part of the US military. A lot of Mennonite COs objected to being a soldier period, putting on any kind of uniform, and representing the state whether in a combat or non-combat role. So they would not have been combat medics like Doss.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Ken wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:56 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:36 pm
joshuabgood wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:00 pmI found the movie inspirational. I think there is power in his approach of going to the front lines and facing the bullets as opposed to going somewhere safe in CPS.

The distinction between Doss and probably the majority of Mennonite COs was that he only objected to taking up arms himself. He did not object to putting on a uniform and being a part of the US military. A lot of Mennonite COs objected to being a soldier period, putting on any kind of uniform, and representing the state whether in a combat or non-combat role. So they would not have been combat medics like Doss.
Yes. It's rooted in what seems to be a rather fundamental theological difference. It was really interesting to me that Doss essentially recognized said dichotomy and preferred to be considered a conscientious cooperator, even though the military lumped him under a CO classification.
0 x