Charlotte Shootout

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Charlotte Shootout

Post by Ernie »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68925453

4 Officers killed.
I'm really sorry that their lives needed to end this way. I wish there was much less evil in the world.
Last edited by Ernie on Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Charlotte Shootout

Post by Ernie »

A question though...

Is there really no way for law enforcement officers to avoid this sort of thing? It sounds like they eventually drove an armored vehicle right into the house.
For example, Could they not use such vehicles to serve the warrant initially, so they would have some protection?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:32 pm A question though...

Is there really no way for law enforcement officers to avoid this sort of thing? It sounds like they eventually drove an armored vehicle right into the house.
For example, Could they not use such vehicles to serve the warrant initially, so they would have some protection?
If they had used the vehicle first then they would be accused of excessive force. We too, grieve for their families and the officers who were shot.

In my experiences, second guessing by those who have no experience in battle or policing in the aftermath serves no one. One can never truly understand unless one was in a similar situation doing a similar action.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

Biden concluded his comments by demanding further gun laws. These officers died trying to enforce the ones we already have.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

It seems extreme when U.S. marshals are killed, in this case, several were ambushed and killed.
There is/will be a lot of coverage. i haven’t read much of what i’ve seen. It’s shocking. Who has the nerve to fire at U.S. marshals? Reports don’t seem to be jumping to conclusions about the motive, politics involved. i hope my perception is correct.

U.S.Marshals Service
https://www.usmarshals.gov/

History / In the Line of Duty
https://www.usmarshals.gov/who-we-are/h ... ne-of-duty

1794-2022 / Roll Call
https://www.usmarshals.gov/who-we-are/h ... /roll-call
On January 11, 1794, Robert Forsyth, U.S. Marshal for the District of Georgia, was shot and killed while attempting to serve civil papers. He was the first law enforcement officer in the United States of America to be killed in the line of duty.

Since then, over 200 federal Marshals, Deputy Marshals, Special Deputy Marshals and Marshals guards have given their lives in service to their nation. We honor their memory and their sacrifice. ..

i don’t believe i’ve ever been aware of presence of U.S. marshals, altho, because they are on commercial air flights, it’s possible/probable.
Ernie:
.. 4 Officers killed.
I'm really sorry that their lives needed to end this way. I wish there was much less evil in the world.
^^me, too.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

When our military clears houses in Iraq or Afghanistan, often the lead guy faces extreme risk of death due to being the first guy in. Making an effort to identify friend or foe before shooting increases the likelihood of getting shot.

Hypothetically, if they had an armored car, what would they have done with it? how would they have been able to serve the warrant?
Would they drive it into the house to begin with? start out with tear gas before even knowing if he would resist?

We would have sent in a drone which could have taken him out remotely but then the idea of using a drone for police enforcement has its own problems too.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sheriffs serve warrants every day.

Plowing into a tank into a house to serve warrants doesn't seem like the best way. Serving warrants is an important part of the justice system.

Note that many people who think we need more gun laws don't have much to say about the problems enforcing all the gun laws we already have. Lawlessness abounds, and politicians and ideologues who are against enforcing laws we already have because of notions like "racism" are making the problem much worse.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:25 am

Sheriffs serve warrants every day.

Plowing into a tank into a house to serve warrants doesn't seem like the best way. Serving warrants is an important part of the justice system.

Note that many people who think we need more gun laws don't have much to say about the problems enforcing all the gun laws we already have. Lawlessness abounds, and politicians and ideologues who are against enforcing laws we already have because of notions like "racism" are making the problem much worse.
Lawlessness abounds.

Last of the last days scenario.

Jesus said in Matthew 24:12 speaking of the end " Because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold "

See the connection? We are seeing being soft on crime leafs to more lawlessness leading to less live, hardened hearts, which will lead to more crime. Obviously soft on crime is making things worse. Foolishness abounds in these decisions.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 am When our military clears houses in Iraq or Afghanistan, often the lead guy faces extreme risk of death due to being the first guy in. Making an effort to identify friend or foe before shooting increases the likelihood of getting shot.

Hypothetically, if they had an armored car, what would they have done with it? how would they have been able to serve the warrant?
Would they drive it into the house to begin with? start out with tear gas before even knowing if he would resist?

We would have sent in a drone which could have taken him out remotely but then the idea of using a drone for police enforcement has its own problems too.
Very well considered.

Imagine this: I drive into Ernie's house with an armored vehicle. The person I encounter does not look at all like the suspect. Ooops. Or I cause great damage to the person's house, but in court, they are found innocent. Oooops ....

Do we want a police state? Do we want the police to look like a standing army that fights citizens here?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ernie wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68925453

4 Officers killed.
I agree. This feels kind of close to home for me.

Evil is not a new thing.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?