Iran - Israel War? Iran's state-run news agency says Iran has fired ballistic missiles at targets inside Israel

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: Iran - Israel War? Iran's state-run news agency says Iran has fired ballistic missiles at targets inside Israel

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:17 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:02 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:42 pm

Has Israel offered any reason for this provocation?

My neighbour sometimes has a dispute with me about the property line. He thinks it’s a few feet over, in the middle of a patch of Japanese knotweed infestation I’m trying to get rid of.

This is the equivalent of me responding by bombing his son’s car.
Add in the fact that your neighbor's son orchestrated an attack that killed one of your children and kidnapped another and you pretty much have it.
The better analogy is that you bombed your neighbor's son's car with him in it because he was the gun dealer who provided the guns to the criminals who kidnapped and killed your children.
That’s how you view Iran’s relationship with Hamas? As a mere weapons dealer?
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Iran - Israel War? Iran's state-run news agency says Iran has fired ballistic missiles at targets inside Israel

Post by Ken »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:20 pm
Add in the fact that your neighbor's son orchestrated an attack that killed one of your children and kidnapped another and you pretty much have it.
The better analogy is that you bombed your neighbor's son's car with him in it because he was the gun dealer who provided the guns to the criminals who kidnapped and killed your children.
That’s how you view Iran’s relationship with Hamas? As a mere weapons dealer?
Hamas is still more or less the elected government of Gaza. I give them agency. They are not children. And they are not simply puppets on a string any more than Israel is simply a puppet of the US despite what a lot of lefties think.

I would say that they currently have a common objective and that is to diminish Israel and disrupt what was a growing cooperation and normalization of relations between Israel and the Gulf States. But Hamas is a Arab Sunni organization and Iran is a non-Arab Shia nation. They are not one and the same and it is probably as much of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation as anything else.

At least that's how I see it.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

April 15 2024

KOMO / 46 pro-Palestinian protestors arrested for blocking road to Sea-Tac airport
https://komonews.com/news/local/protest ... -west-bank
WSDOT confirmed in a post on X that both directions of the SR 518 off-ramp to Airport Drive were fully closed.

According to Flightaware.com, 139 flights have been delayed at Sea-Tac airport.
However, it's unclear how many were directly impacted by the protest.

"The airlines have instructed us to tell travelers to check in with them and their specific flight," Cooper continued. "So that's up to them as to whether they delay those flights or make other arrangements with those travelers." ..
.. The protest is part of a globally coordinated protest, according to a post on X. ..
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:42 pm

Has Israel offered any reason for this provocation?

My neighbour sometimes has a dispute with me about the property line. He thinks it’s a few feet over, in the middle of a patch of Japanese knotweed infestation I’m trying to get rid of.

This is the equivalent of me responding by bombing his son’s car.
Add the detail that my children stole the land and houses from the “criminals” and had been squatting there for years. Despite many court orders to move, I just refuse to do so because I’m so well armed not even the police can get me to behave.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 am April 15 2024

KOMO / 46 pro-Palestinian protestors arrested for blocking road to Sea-Tac airport
WSDOT confirmed in a post on X that both directions of the SR 518 off-ramp to Airport Drive were fully closed.

"The airlines have instructed us to tell travelers to check in with them and their specific flight," Cooper continued. "So that's up to them as to whether they delay those flights or make other arrangements with those travelers." ..
.. The protest is part of a globally coordinated protest, according to a post on X. ..
It’s unclear to me why police in riot gear aren’t simply deployed to remove such people. And I’m sympathetic why they’re protesting.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 am

It’s unclear to me why police in riot gear aren’t simply deployed to remove such people. And I’m sympathetic why they’re protesting.
But the police arrested and removed the protestors. According to the article, tow trucks removed the vehicles blocking the traffic within an hour. Why would the police need riot gear?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 am

From appearances, police (in riot gear?) were present to protect the protestors.
i’m surprised there were arrests. i doubt the arrests will go anywhere. Convictions, punishments, deterrence, are no longer goals of arrests, right? Arrests are for show.

These “global” protests were, evidently, unexpected, so, presumably, no permits, etc.?

If so widespread how was U.S. Homeland “Security” unaware?

If the purpose of Homeland Security has been hijacked to Homeland Insecurity, should the department be dissolved, taxpayer funds returned to taxpayers?

i’m not a fan of just slushing public funds around at will.
The U.S. Public Treasury should not be a big petty cash drawer for lib dreams. Do the stated job, or return funds to taxpayers.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:58 am
Add the detail that my children stole the land and houses from the “criminals” and had been squatting there for years. Despite many court orders to move, I just refuse to do so because I’m so well armed not even the police can get me to behave.
That might be where the analogy breaks down...as Israel didn't steal the land but potato - Potahto.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 am
Josh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 am It’s unclear to me why police in riot gear aren’t simply deployed to remove such people. And I’m sympathetic why they’re protesting.
From appearances, police (in riot gear?) were present to protect the protestors.
i’m surprised there were arrests. i doubt the arrests will go anywhere. Convictions, punishments, deterrence, are no longer goals of arrests, right? Arrests are for show.
The police were there to arrest them and seize/tow away all their vehicles. 46 protesters were arrested and they will face consequences. It took hours to untangle them all because they chained themselves across the roadway using metal pipes over their arms so the police couldn't easily just use bolt cutters to cut them all loose: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... rotesters/
46 people arrested in pro-Palestinian protest at Sea-Tac Airport

Police arrested 46 people accused of blocking the expressway leading to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport for three hours Monday afternoon as part of a nationwide day of protest calling for an end to the Israel-Hamas war.

A blockade of cars and dozens of pro-Palestinian demonstrators — including some who lay across the road with their arms locked together using tubes in a formation called “sleeping dragon” — brought traffic to a standstill at the peak of rush hour. Travelers got out of their cars and walked around the group toward the terminal, pulling luggage behind them.

Organizers said the demonstration was part of a “global call for an economic blockade” on April 15, Tax Day.

“For 6 months we have written our politicians and flooded the streets asking for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza,” a post on Instagram said. “Instead, our government continues to use our tax money to fund the genocide we are witnessing on our screens.”

An email from organizers pointed to Alaska Airlines’ partnership with Boeing, which supplies planes and other military equipment to the Israel Defense Forces.

Sea-Tac spokesperson Perry Cooper said the people arrested were being processed Monday evening at the Des Moines jail, South Correctional Entity, known as SCORE.

Airport Expressway reopened shortly before 6 p.m., after police led demonstrators away in handcuffs and tow trucks removed vehicles blocking the roads.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

If organisers and an organisation openly call for economic “blockade” then they should receive a bill for the amount they cost everyone else with their theatrics.

For what it’s worth, America is trying to do a lot to broker a peace deal, including fixing the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. I don’t see how blockading people in Washington State accomplishes any goal except making a lot more people unsympathetic with them.
0 x