Knife Attack in Australia

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Knife Attack in Australia

Post by GaryK »

SYDNEY (AP) — A man stabbed six people to death at a busy Sydney shopping center Saturday before he was fatally shot, police said. Eight people, including a 9-month-old, were injured in the attack.

The 40-year-old suspect began stabbing people at the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, which is in the city's eastern suburbs, before a police inspector shot him after he turned and raised a knife, New South Wales Assistant Police Commissioner Anthony Cooke told reporters.

Six of the victims — five women and a man — and the suspect died. Commissioner Karen Webb said the eight injured people were being treated at hospitals. The baby was in surgery, but it was too early to know the condition, she said.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sydney-aus ... ck-5-dead/

This is horrible! :shock:
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Knife Attack in Australia

Post by Josh »

We can be grateful that the police were armed and able to “not bear the sword in vain”. However, the long term effect of (a) tolerating violent people and (b) banning guns for self defence means that eventually people will start to carry knives with them for protection.

However, ultimately, in order to have peace on earth, men must choose to follow the Prince of Peace, including following the whole gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ, teaching us we may lay our lives down and not give in to either unlawful revenge and urges to hurt others, or even lawful self defence.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

GaryK wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:21 am
SYDNEY (AP) — A man stabbed six people to death at a busy Sydney shopping center Saturday before he was fatally shot, police said. Eight people, including a 9-month-old, were injured in the attack.

The 40-year-old suspect began stabbing people at the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, which is in the city's eastern suburbs, before a police inspector shot him after he turned and raised a knife, New South Wales Assistant Police Commissioner Anthony Cooke told reporters.

Six of the victims — five women and a man — and the suspect died. Commissioner Karen Webb said the eight injured people were being treated at hospitals. The baby was in surgery, but it was too early to know the condition, she said.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sydney-aus ... ck-5-dead/

This is horrible! :shock:
Horrific! We will include them in our prayers.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:28 am We can be grateful that the police were armed and able to “not bear the sword in vain”. However, the long term effect of (a) tolerating violent people and (b) banning guns for self defence means that eventually people will start to carry knives with them for protection.

However, ultimately, in order to have peace on earth, men must choose to follow the Prince of Peace, including following the whole gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ, teaching us we may lay our lives down and not give in to either unlawful revenge and urges to hurt others, or even lawful self defence.
The police didn't take him out using swords. They used guns. There is clearly a hierarchy of weaponry in terms of its lethality.

fists < clubs < knives < small capacity bolt action type firearms < high capacity semi-auto firearms < full auto firearms < military weaponry and explosives

Society has to draw the line somewhere. Australia has chosen to draw the line at a different place than the US. And we can examine the the policy consequences of that choice. Australia has a murder rate that is 8-times lower than the US, and a rate of gun deaths that is 14-times lower than the US. That isn't coincidence.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:24 pm fists < clubs < knives < small capacity bolt action type firearms < high capacity semi-auto firearms < full auto firearms < military weaponry and explosives
Sounds like the action in one of those Stallone movies. Never have seen it but friends talk about it.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:24 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:28 am We can be grateful that the police were armed and able to “not bear the sword in vain”. However, the long term effect of (a) tolerating violent people and (b) banning guns for self defence means that eventually people will start to carry knives with them for protection.

The police didn't take him out using swords. They used guns. There is clearly a hierarchy of weaponry in terms of its lethality.

fists < clubs < knives < small capacity bolt action type firearms < high capacity semi-auto firearms < full auto firearms < military weaponry and explosives

Society has to draw the line somewhere. Australia has chosen to draw the line at a different place than the US. And we can examine the the policy consequences of that choice. Australia has a murder rate that is 8-times lower than the US, and a rate of gun deaths that is 14-times lower than the US. That isn't coincidence.
Australia also has different demographics than America, although as that changes Australia’s murder rate and amount of shootings are going up.

Likewise, Sweden had a rather brutal shooting last week of a Polish man on his bicycle by a group of “youths”. So much for their vaunted gun control and progressive criminal justice system.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Society has to draw the line somewhere. Australia has chosen to draw the line at a different place than the US.
Wife: So for some reason, this statement struck me as funny because it sounds just like an argument I hear in relation to church standards. Maybe that’s a little ridiculous, but that was the first thing I thought when I read that sentence.

I am not promoting one side or another gun control wise because I really don’t know what’s the best option. I think that is a very sad situation, and I hope the baby pulls through and still has some family to live with.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:51 pm

Society has to draw the line somewhere. Australia has chosen to draw the line at a different place than the US.
Wife: So for some reason, this statement struck me as funny because it sounds just like an argument I hear in relation to church standards. Maybe that’s a little ridiculous, but that was the first thing I thought when I read that sentence.

I am not promoting one side or another gun control wise because I really don’t know what’s the best option. I think that is a very sad situation, and I hope the baby pulls through and still has some family to live with.
It is accurate though. There isn't one thing called "gun control" It is a spectrum and every country has to decide where to put their line. Despite the 2nd Amendment, we don't allow people to defend their properties with land mines or drive around with RPGs, heavy machine guns, or hand grenades in their cars. And no one even thinks twice about it. So even in the most permissive state in the country we have still drawn lines.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:10 pm

It is accurate though. There isn't one thing called "gun control" It is a spectrum and every country has to decide where to put their line. Despite the 2nd Amendment, we don't allow people to defend their properties with land mines or drive around with RPGs, heavy machine guns, or hand grenades in their cars. And no one even thinks twice about it. So even in the most permissive state in the country we have still drawn lines.
True. And in Mexico where there are very restrictive laws, you have cartels with their own militias armed to the teeth with heavy duty military weaponry.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:14 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:10 pm

True. And in Mexico where there are very restrictive laws, you have cartels with their own militias armed to the teeth with heavy duty military weaponry.
Yes, virtually all those weapons are imported from the United States which is a huge problem for Mexico.
0 x