The danger of “LGBT” teachers.

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: The danger of “LGBT” teachers.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

New York Times, on changing views on “Gender Therapy” in Europe. They have many of the same concerns I have long had. One grand uncontrolled trial.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/09/heal ... 20c215d6a3
1 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:38 am New York Times, on changing views on “Gender Therapy” in Europe. They have many of the same concerns I have long had. One grand uncontrolled trial.

Paywall. Could you add some text?
England is noted on P.79: Gender confusion / viewtopic.php?t=4689&start=780
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:29 pm
Grace wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:57 pm Still weird and creepy.
It’s not weird and creepy to not want children to undergo unnecessary cosmetic surgeries, especially ones that destroy perfectly good body parts.

I think female circumcision is wrong too and in fact should be outlawed.
Beyond the creep-factor, when TAXPAYER FUNDING is involved, EVERYONE who pays taxes has a vested interest.

Personal cosmetic/elective surgeries for adults, SELF-PAID, are another matter, ELECTIVE/COSMETIC surgeries for minors, other vulnerable ones, deserve scrutiny of laws for mental+physical safety, self-paid or not. Minors can’t buy alcohol, cigarettes.

Children+teens are not small adults.

Example:
ADULTS can get full body tattoos, SELF-PAID.
Minors are restricted (with parental permission)? - Still, SELF-PAID.
Leave taxpayers/ins companies out of it. Ins premiums are too high.

Libs have been so overly-indulged for decades wrt treating the Public Treasury as their personal go-to PETTY CASH DRAWER for all manner social engineering EXPERIMENTS. The sense of entitlement is off the charts.

Too much tolerance. The system is exploited. Gatekeepers are needed. Close the doors. $$$$
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:32 pm Do you feel the same way about the unnecessary mutilation for cosmetic reasons that is male circumcision?
I would prefer not to discuss my opinions on that publicly, but you can PM me if you really want to know.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:38 am New York Times, on changing views on “Gender Therapy” in Europe. They have many of the same concerns I have long had. One grand uncontrolled trial.

Europe is doing things the right way and is an example of what the US should be doing.

They are treating this as a medical issue and looking at the evidence-based medicine in this area and seeking to supplement it where evidence is lacking. So it is medical boards and public health agencies who are taking a critical look at the medicine. And not uninformed state legislatures responding to culture war hysteria ginned up for political purposes.

Politicizing these sorts of issues actually tends to be counterproductive because it just results in people hardening their positions and doubling-down rather than thinking intelligently. The whole saga of COVID vaccines and alternative treatments is a case in point of what happens when a medical issue gets overly politicized. It just makes people more stupid.

Here is a gift link to the NYT article above for those who are blocked by the paywall: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/09/heal ... =url-share
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ah, yes, very dangerous to have a democracy where the people’s elected representatives set policy.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:32 pm Ah, yes, very dangerous to have a democracy where the people’s elected representatives set policy.
I think they are out of their lane when they are setting health policy and know nothing about the subject. We already have public health agencies, medical boards, and so forth whose job it actually is to do those things. Especially when by doing so they are infringing on personal and family autonomy.

It is no different than when state and local authorities waded into COVID with all the uninformed nonsense that was happening the past couple years. If you thought the government inserting itself with church closures, lockdowns, and mask rules were infringements on personal freedom then you should equally agree that legislatures inserting themselves into transgender medicine is a similar infringement on personal freedom.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:03 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:32 pm Ah, yes, very dangerous to have a democracy where the people’s elected representatives set policy.
I think they are out of their lane when they are setting health policy and know nothing about the subject. We already have public health agencies, medical boards, and so forth whose job it actually is to do those things. Especially when by doing so they are infringing on personal and family autonomy.
Well said. Health department officials are often tempted to infringe on personal and family autonomy, sometimes out of excessive diligence and sometimes as a display of power. We need elected representatives to keep them in check and off balance.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:46 pm
Well said. Health department officials are often tempted to infringe on personal and family autonomy, sometimes out of excessive diligence and sometimes as a display of power. We need elected representatives to keep them in check and off balance.
Heath departments are established and funded by state legislatures and tasked with certain duties and powers. If they stray beyond their mandate then yes. If they are simply doing the job that they were created to do then no.

Legislatures actually have twin duties. The first is to pass budgets and laws as necessary. The second is to conduct oversight over the laws and agencies that they (or previous legislatures) enacted. To make sure that laws are still serving their purpose and agencies are still working within their mandates. In this day and age, the oversight responsibilities are often neglected when legislatures at the state or national level melt down into partisan gridlock or spend their time doing partisan grandstanding (like chasing after chemtrails) instead of their actual jobs.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Perhaps, but I disremember any provision in the Constitution authorizing an unelected agency to infringe on the personal rights of the citizenry.
0 x