The danger of “LGBT” teachers.

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: The danger of “LGBT” teachers.

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:00 pm
barnhart wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:14 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:58 am Yes, that is way more prevalent in social sciences. Psychology is rife with it. Calling “transgenderism” mental illness is sure to get one banned, but it is simply as bad as one wi the belief that they are God. Both notions are askew with reality, yet we need affirm one and reject the other. Laws have even been passed requiring this, look up “conversion therapy laws.” Many cover this delusion as well.
I may be stretching the topic too far but I've been curious about this for some time. Social conservatives seem disturbed by declassifying the urges toward transgender and homosexuality from mental illness. How should a biblical world view consider this type of classification.

I remember years ago christians opposing the classification of addiction as mental illness because they wanted it to be a sin that is repented rather than a condition to be treated. It seems like the sides have flipped somehow. Is anyone thinking deeply and biblically about this as opposed to culture war-ing?
Yes. This sort of identity (Transgenderism) is a problem because:

!>. God made them male and female. Creation has an order, and like homosexuality, that is an offense against God's creative order.
2. It is presenting a falsehood, in its core. While surgeons may mutate someone to appear similar to the opposite sex, that person is not what they purport to be. "Trans Men" cannot father children, "Trans Women" cannot give birth. It is a fraud to present oneself this way. Sex is not an opinion, it is not "assigned" at birth. It is simply the documentation of an observed fact.
3. To mutilate oneself is clearly forbidden in the Levitical code.
4. It is a cover for open homosexuality.

While addiction is occasionally misuse something that may be permitted, transgenderism is never not rooted in sin. Both are mental illnesses. Addiction can be a sin as well as a mental illness. Transgenderism is always both a sin and mental illness. Given the opportunity I am more than willing to point out the evils of alcohol and tobacco. I have had a family member die from an overdose.

More often than not, both are mental illnesses. As it stands now, legal constraints against conversion therapy limits your options for treating transgenderism.
I would dispute your 4th point. It can be that transgenderism is accompanied by increased homosexual interest but that's not a given. I know a few transgender and non-binary folk that feel attracted to the opposite sex and wouldn't ever find themselves with feelings of homosexual attraction. The larger point of Gender Theory (out of which much of the current Transgenderism/Non-Binarism comes) is the obliteration of the very notion of Gender and Sex and thus something like Sexual Preference. That is to say that the ideal of the gender theorists is that each of us express our own gender, independent of sex (which itself is a construct) and that we be free to sexually encounter other individuals free from a predefined "sexual preference" e.g. homosexual, heterosexual, etc.

This is in part why a lot of the old Gay/Lesbian activists from the 90's and early aughts are so dismayed by the Trans movement. Lesbians especially, feel set upon. Now, if a girl feels drawn towards male interests, dress, mannerisms, etc. instead of being labeled Lesbian, she's labeled as Trans and encouraged to explore transitioning and hormone therapy. I can't remember where, I think it was The Atlantic, but a few years ago I remember reading an essay by an old, leftover Lesbian activist from way back, lamenting the closing of so many "Lesbian bars" in the country as a result of fewer and fewer women identifying as Lesbian.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:38 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:00 pm 4. It is a cover for open homosexuality.
I would dispute your 4th point. It can be that transgenderism is accompanied by increased homosexual interest but that's not a given. I know a few transgender and non-binary folk that feel attracted to the opposite sex and wouldn't ever find themselves with feelings of homosexual attraction.
But which is the "opposite" sex and which is the "same"? Both? Neither?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:02 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:00 pm 4. It is a cover for open homosexuality.
I would dispute your 4th point. It can be that transgenderism is accompanied by increased homosexual interest but that's not a given. I know a few transgender and non-binary folk that feel attracted to the opposite sex and wouldn't ever find themselves with feelings of homosexual attraction.
Remember the new nomenclature, OJ. Sex is the body, gender is what we feel and express. So I can feel feminine and present as such but be sexed male and find myself attracted to others that are sexed female. It's confusing and hard to categorize for sure and I think that's kind of the meta-point of it all.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:04 pm Asked my wife, a career public health nurse. Far and away the majority of people seeking treatment for STDs are men who have sex with men. Seeing as these are only a small percentage of the male population, it tells you something about male homosexuals.
Most tragic, nearly 100% PREVENTABLE.
Also, that many inflicted are not men, but boys, who should not be engaging at all. “Waiting” is not a dirty word.

So much misery+damage for brief moments of self-indulgence.
The price is high. Nothing to be proud of.

HIV/AIDS in Children and Adolescents
https://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_an ... S-030.aspx

God designed us to be male/female from before conception, He designed humans to develop slowly, with instructions for self-restraint, for good reasons. “Just because you CAN do something, doesn’t mean you should.” Humans are more than barnyard animals, or robots.

There are many benefits to acquiring self-control, avoiding disease is one.

i’d prefer not to live under today’s ubiquitous carnal flag.
i hope to live to see it removed from its current position of power+glory. esp for the sake of children+teens.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:02 pm
That, my friend, is a can of worms. There are so many different varieties of this sort of things, and the surgeries offered. that it explodes my brain.

The only ones that I have known (two) were biological males, who were convinced they were actually women, got surgery of some sort to pass as women, and were attracted to, and on the prowl for men. It was not too difficult to tell they were not what they presented as. Let's just chalk it up to 40 years of experience.
0 x
:hug:
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

so let me ask you this

the natural order of things is, male and female.
and way deep down each person knows that it is wrong/against the natural order of things to be male and male, or female and female.

so to get around that, they change their sex so that they can feel better about male/male and female/female. bc after all, "i am now female, so when i get myself a male, i'm female now, i'm not homosexual."

is that maybe why there is so much transgenderism?
or maybe i'm completely off base and don't have any idea what i'm talking about.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

justme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:03 am so let me ask you this

and way deep down each person knows that it is wrong/against the natural order of things to be male and male, or female and female.

so to get around that, they change their sex so that they can feel better about male/male and female/female. bc after all, "i am now female, so when i get myself a male, i'm female now, i'm not homosexual."

or maybe i'm completely off base and don't have any idea what i'm talking about.
Well the fastest growing population of transgender seems to be female and from what I’ve heard, it’s not based on homosexuality.
Males are in some ways more complicated.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

justme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:03 am so let me ask you this

Oddly enough, the majority of transsexuals end up claiming they are “lesbians” or “gay men”. For example, Ellen Page now identifies as a “gay man”. Most transsexuals I’ve known (who used to be men, and now claim they are women) claimed to be lesbians.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:07 amWell the fastest growing population of transgender seems to be female and from what I’ve heard, it’s not based on homosexuality. Males are in some ways more complicated.
In my own small subsample of HS students I don't see any male trans students at all. Not one. There are a handful of gay students. I have one now who is pretty flamboyantly and openly gay. But definitely not trans. It is a pretty rough road to be a trans boy in an American HS, even today in 2024. They exist to be sure, but it's not a very cool thing to be. I think social media makes it seem like there are more than there really are (the odd viral video of some trans guy in sports for example).

Girls are different. I think there are girls who in the past would have been called tomboys who now identify as LGBT, trans, or nonbinary. I think some of it is just a rejection of the very intense sexualization of teenagers in our society and being unable or unwilling to fit with the very narrow societal notions of beauty, thinness, cuteness, etc. Social media makes it worse with endless streams of cute and pretty influencers talking endlessly about fashion, makeup, hair, diets, etc. A lot of social media for girls is an endless stream of influencer role models who are thinner and prettier than they will ever be. It is toxic. Guys get that but more for sports, not looks.

So while there are definitely girls who are classic gender dysmorphic and trans. I think there is some percentage who are just rebelling against mainstream society. In the 60s youth rebelled by becoming hippies, long hair, short skirts, flower power, drugs, and "dropping out" In the 80s when I was in HS it was more the punk scene: mohawks, leather, skinheads, etc. In the 90s it was the goth kids in all black who were the rebels. Today if you want to shock and annoy your parents and adult authority figures, tell them you are nonbinary and go by "they/them". Bringing home a black or Hispanic boyfriend doesn't do the trick anymore, but coming out as nonbinary or trans will. Even more fun if you can get all the adults to bend over backwards when it comes to language.

In another decade or so I expect teen rebellion will have moved on to something else. Personally as a teacher I find the whole thing to be a lot of annoying performative nonsense. There are some kids who are no doubt truly trans and others who are just playacting or being supportive. I indulge it as much as I'm required to for my job but that is about it. I refuse to use some performative jargon like LatinX or BIPOC. But I'm not going to make some big stand against it either because I frankly don't care that much. It isn't worth being a martyr over. Being a teenager is hard and they will mostly sort themselves out eventually. I have students who are facing REAL problems in their lives (homelessness, abuse, learning disabilities, life threatening illnesses, broken families, poverty etc.) I prefer to spend my time worrying about them and not the middle class kids who are playacting at being gender non-conforming for likes on Instagram or TikTok. My job is to teach science and not worry about whether they are trans or playacting or something inbetween.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:51 pm
Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:07 amWell the fastest growing population of transgender seems to be female and from what I’ve heard, it’s not based on homosexuality. Males are in some ways more complicated.
In my own small subsample of HS students I don't see any male trans students at all. Not one. There are a handful of gay students. I have one now who is pretty flamboyantly and openly gay. But definitely not trans. It is a pretty rough road to be a trans boy in an American HS, even today in 2024. They exist to be sure, but it's not a very cool thing to be. I think social media makes it seem like there are more than there really are (the odd viral video of some trans guy in sports for example).

Girls are different. I think there are girls who in the past would have been called tomboys who now identify as LGBT, trans, or nonbinary. I think some of it is just a rejection of the very intense sexualization of teenagers in our society and being unable or unwilling to fit with the very narrow societal notions of beauty, thinness, cuteness, etc. Social media makes it worse with endless streams of cute and pretty influencers talking endlessly about fashion, makeup, hair, diets, etc. A lot of social media for girls is an endless stream of influencer role models who are thinner and prettier than they will ever be. It is toxic. Guys get that but more for sports, not looks.

So while there are definitely girls who are classic gender dysmorphic and trans. I think there is some percentage who are just rebelling against mainstream society. In the 60s youth rebelled by becoming hippies, long hair, short skirts, flower power, drugs, and "dropping out" In the 80s when I was in HS it was more the punk scene: mohawks, leather, skinheads, etc. In the 90s it was the goth kids in all black who were the rebels. Today if you want to shock and annoy your parents and adult authority figures, tell them you are nonbinary and go by "they/them". Bringing home a black or Hispanic boyfriend doesn't do the trick anymore, but coming out as nonbinary or trans will. Even more fun if you can get all the adults to bend over backwards when it comes to language.

In another decade or so I expect teen rebellion will have moved on to something else. Personally as a teacher I find the whole thing to be a lot of annoying performative nonsense. There are some kids who are no doubt truly trans and others who are just playacting or being supportive. I indulge it as much as I'm required to for my job but that is about it. I refuse to use some performative jargon like LatinX or BIPOC. But I'm not going to make some big stand against it either because I frankly don't care that much. It isn't worth being a martyr over. Being a teenager is hard and they will mostly sort themselves out eventually. I have students who are facing REAL problems in their lives (homelessness, abuse, learning disabilities, life threatening illnesses, broken families, poverty etc.) I prefer to spend my time worrying about them and not the middle class kids who are playacting at being gender non-conforming for likes on Instagram or TikTok. My job is to teach science and not worry about whether they are trans or playacting or something inbetween.
So, do you think that much of this transsexual behavior is adolescents simply rebelling against societal norms and expectations? Just like many of the hippies became stockbrokers? That is fine, but if you add in the “treatment “ that is on offer, it will be more than changing clothes to get back. Many of these medical and surgical treatments have irreversible consequences.
1 x
:hug: