Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Post by steve-in-kville »

In the first hours after this tragedy, the rumors were thick how this was a terrorist act by the Chinese government because the boat was from China. When in reality, none of this is true. The boat was sold a few times and is operated by Maersk which, to my immediate knowledge, is based out of Greece and/or Singapore.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:01 am In the first hours after this tragedy, the rumors were thick how this was a terrorist act by the Chinese government because the boat was from China. When in reality, none of this is true. The boat was sold a few times and is operated by Maersk which, to my immediate knowledge, is based out of Greece and/or Singapore.
Maersk is Danish. They have a series of shell companies, this one being based in Singapore but using primarily Sri Lankan crews with some Ukrainian captains (or “masters” in shipping parlance).

The only conspiracy here is to cut costs by scrimping on maintenance, equipment, and wages.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Crews scramble to build temporary channel for 'essential' ships at Baltimore port
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 164312007/
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:45 am Crews scramble to build temporary channel for 'essential' ships at Baltimore port
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 164312007/
They are not as much "building" one as marking channels through the still standing approach spans. There is 10-20 feet of water there, and those of us with local knowledge and boats that only drew a 4-6 feet always went that way. They need to put buoys to mark where you ACTUALLY have the depth they want.

My grandfather's summer home was in Stoney creek. First major creek down on the southern shore. Those waters used to be good for crabbing. Have not been down there in 40 years.
0 x
:hug:
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:44 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:01 am In the first hours after this tragedy, the rumors were thick how this was a terrorist act by the Chinese government because the boat was from China. When in reality, none of this is true. The boat was sold a few times and is operated by Maersk which, to my immediate knowledge, is based out of Greece and/or Singapore.
Maersk is Danish. They have a series of shell companies, this one being based in Singapore but using primarily Sri Lankan crews with some Ukrainian captains (or “masters” in shipping parlance).

The only conspiracy here is to cut costs by scrimping on maintenance, equipment, and wages.
Sails under a Singapore flag but is leased to the Danish parent company of Maersk. I watched a YouTube video about it, so it must be true 8-)
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

So what were the original guesses on how long it would take them to get the harbor back open? Yesterday was exactly 2 months since the bridge collapsed

We will see how long it takes to get the bridge replaced. That is obviously the more difficult project.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm So what were the original guesses on how long it would take them to get the harbor back open? Yesterday was exactly 2 months since the bridge collapsed

We will see how long it takes to get the bridge replaced. That is obviously the more difficult project.
I saw 8 months and 10 months for temp bridge predictions. I said a non-specific “they could do it quickly if they wanted”
For a proper bridge I saw the shortest prediction at 4 years.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Sometimes projects get expedited quickly if the will is there. Several years ago a major bridge between NYC and New Jersey was raised by 65' to clear larger container ships into the NJ harbor. Planning drug out but once it started, it didn't take long.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm So what were the original guesses on how long it would take them to get the harbor back open? Yesterday was exactly 2 months since the bridge collapsed

Are you related to MaxPC? By your timeline I assume you count yourself to be around 100 years old?
2 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 pm

Are you related to MaxPC? By your timeline I assume you count yourself to be around 100 years old?
Yeah. I can’t do math in my head. This thread was started on March 26. Yesterday when this tweet was posted was April 26. So obviously that is one month not two.

We can still get things done fast in this country when we decide to get out of our own way.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr