Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:05 am There are countries around the world where infrastructure is built very fast but I doubt anyone on this thread wants to live there. Bureaucracy is troublesome but it's absence is tyranny. Quite often the layers of balancing interests produce better results than we give credit for. If this seems doubtful, look at bureaucracy free societies.
This aligns with my preoccupation about the importance of the politically UNorganized, diverse majority.
It’s often awkward, inefficient, but it has more capacity to produce better outcomes.

The beloved efficiency god is not always best for life on earth.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:01 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 pmPoliticians are squabbling, as they do. My new prediction of a replacement bridge-Not in my lifetime.
I say Amen to this guy's recommendation.
Yes. Coast guard district commander is the incident commander, and has charge. Looking at the "largest crane on the east coast" it looks so small........
0 x
:hug:
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Cranes on barges always seem vulnerable to me. I've been in boats and stability never looked like a strong point.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

barnhart wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:13 pm Cranes on barges always seem vulnerable to me. I've been in boats and stability never looked like a strong point.
Yet we can land rockets on a barge.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:47 pmLooking at the "largest crane on the east coast" it looks so small........
This is a 1000 ton crane. There are 20,000 ton cranes elsewhere in the world.

0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Some reason this headline cracked me up. :)
Experts Say Bridge Collapsed Because It Was Struck by Giant Ship
Ever since a huge cargo ship leveled Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge on Tuesday — tragically killing six road crew workers — the internet has been filling up with deranged conspiracy theories.

But the simplest explanation is overwhelmingly the most likely: the impact caused catastrophic "structural failures" that the aging structure couldn't withstand, University of Warwick civil engineering professor Toby Mottram told the Independent.

It’s conceivable that the piers weren’t designed to withstand the magnitude of today’s ship impacts, as vessels like the 'Dali' weren’t navigating the Port of Baltimore during the era," he told the newspaper.

Whether any bridge could have withstood such an impact is unclear. Reporters at the New York Times pulled out the calculators and determined that to stop the ship would have taken a third of the force "it took to launch the Saturn V rocket for the Apollo Moon missions."

Basically, an unstoppable force ran into a not-quite-indestructible object, with devastating consequences.

Still, there's been no end to the conspiracy theories. Toxic manosphere influencer Andrew Tate, for instance, asserted without evidence that the boat had been cyberattacked. Others have ludicrously suggested that diverse hiring practices were somehow responsible.

Back in reality, that's just garden-variety racism, and authorities say there's no evidence that terrorism was involved either. The more mundane explanation of corporate greed may have played a factor, though: it emerged after the collision that the company that had chartered the ship had been sanctioned last year for silencing a whistleblower who raised safety concerns.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/experts-brid ... 14805.html
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:54 pm Some reason this headline cracked me up. :)
Ever since a huge cargo ship leveled Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge on Tuesday — tragically killing six road crew workers — the internet has been filling up with deranged conspiracy theories.

But the simplest explanation is overwhelmingly the most likely: the impact caused catastrophic "structural failures" that the aging structure couldn't withstand, University of Warwick civil engineering professor Toby Mottram told the Independent.

It’s conceivable that the piers weren’t designed to withstand the magnitude of today’s ship impacts, as vessels like the 'Dali' weren’t navigating the Port of Baltimore during the era," he told the newspaper.

Whether any bridge could have withstood such an impact is unclear. Reporters at the New York Times pulled out the calculators and determined that to stop the ship would have taken a third of the force "it took to launch the Saturn V rocket for the Apollo Moon missions."

Basically, an unstoppable force ran into a not-quite-indestructible object, with devastating consequences.

Still, there's been no end to the conspiracy theories. Toxic manosphere influencer Andrew Tate, for instance, asserted without evidence that the boat had been cyberattacked. Others have ludicrously suggested that diverse hiring practices were somehow responsible.

Back in reality, that's just garden-variety racism, and authorities say there's no evidence that terrorism was involved either. The more mundane explanation of corporate greed may have played a factor, though: it emerged after the collision that the company that had chartered the ship had been sanctioned last year for silencing a whistleblower who raised safety concerns.

They don't actually have to stop the ship, just deflect its course
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:54 pm Some reason this headline cracked me up. :)

If it's premature to suggest diverse hiring practices as a contributing factor, maybe it's also premature to suggest corporate greed as a factor?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Does that make you a crackpot now????
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:31 pm
Does that make you a crackpot now????
Babylon Bee-worthy. :mrgreen:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN