Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Post by MaxPC »

That ship was massive and Baltimore is a major shipping port. I found the video online and the size of that ship compared to the bridge leaves no doubt in my mind that it could easily demolish the supports.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Slow motion and narrative.

1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

These sorts of events are always interesting to me in that they show how FAST we can actually get things done in this country when we actually want to.

In normal times, a new bridge of this size might be a 15 year project start to finish, with all the analysis, decision-making, and so for that is involved. Here in Oregon they have been planning to replace the I-5 bridge across the Columbia for 20 years now and still haven't even reached a decision on design, funding, or timetable.

But when we decide that we need a new bridge NOW, to replace one that a ship took out, suddenly we can get it done in 18 months or so. I'll be curious to see how fast this bridge gets replaced.

It used to not be that way. The Golden Gate, which is a vastly larger and more complicated span than this one took 4 years to build, beginning to end.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Slow down, Ken. The replacement bridge hasn’t been built yet.

There are already “environmentalists” proposing not to rebuild it so as to reduce “auto dependence”.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm Slow down, Ken. The replacement bridge hasn’t been built yet.

There are already “environmentalists” proposing not to rebuild it so as to reduce “auto dependence”.
Which environmentalists? The Key Bridge is on I-695 which is the beltway around Baltimore and is used the truck bypass around Baltimore for the I-95. This is a MAJOR highway and I can't imagine that the bridge won't be replaced.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:29 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm Slow down, Ken. The replacement bridge hasn’t been built yet.

Which environmentalists? The Key Bridge is on I-695 which is the beltway around Baltimore and is used the truck bypass around Baltimore for the I-95. This is a MAJOR highway and I can't imagine that the bridge won't be replaced.
The same ones, I presume, that call for demolishing existing freeways and for banning car traffic from urban areas. Their philosophy is that getting rid of roads will reduce CO2 emissions and make auto ownership impractical, which is their final goal.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Where did you hear that?
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm
Szdfan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:29 pm

The same ones, I presume, that call for demolishing existing freeways and for banning car traffic from urban areas. Their philosophy is that getting rid of roads will reduce CO2 emissions and make auto ownership impractical, which is their final goal.
But apparently, none of them have actually said that the Key Bridge shouldn't be rebuilt hours after it collapsed.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

How long until the we start hearing stories this was a purposeful attack by Russia/Iran/Hamas/Ukraine/deep state ECT... Cue conspiracy theories in 3... 2... 1...
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Yes, and we also have people talking about banning chemtrails.

Let us know when anyone in positions of power in the Federal and State governments is saying saying we shouldn't rebuild the bridge. Then I'll start paying attention to such sentiment. I expect what will actually happen is that the Mayor , Governor, State Legislature, Congress, and the DOT will all rally to get this done as soon as possible and push aside any obstacles, bureaucratic or otherwise.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr