Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:11 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:24 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:06 pm
Don’t count on it. Our political leaders have said that we need to go on a “car diet “ to reduce the number of cars so that we can meet carbon goals. They are eliminating lanes on many major roads. New Key bridge-10 years of ever.
It is an interstate bridge so it will be state and federal. Local leaders have little to nothing to do with interstates.
It is the governor that concerns me. He supports the “Blueprint for Maryland’s Future “. Carbon neutral by 2035.
You will still need bridges if everyone is driving electric cars and trucks.

And we will still need the port of Baltimore to import all those new electric cars and trucks.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:15 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:59 pm These sorts of events are always interesting to me in that they show how FAST we can actually get things done in this country when we actually want to.
Yes. Take for example the I-95 bridge collapse in Philly last year, which was replaced in TWELVE DAYS.
not replaced. Just filled in with gravel and composites. They are still working to replace.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:48 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:59 pm These sorts of events are always interesting to me in that they show how FAST we can actually get things done in this country when we actually want to.
Yes. Take for example the I-95 bridge collapse in Philly last year, which was replaced in TWELVE DAYS.
not replaced. Just filled in with gravel and composites. They are still working to replace.
Took 5 years to build it. That is after construction started. What we are hearing here is six months to simply clear the debris.
0 x
:hug:
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:25 pm

Took 5 years to build it. That is after construction started. What we are hearing here is six months to simply clear the debris.
They better get the shipping channel cleared out in less than six months.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Nothing is quite as permanent as a temporary fix.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

This thread will be a good marker to check back in periodically and see how they are doing.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:30 pm

6 months is what the people on the local radio station are saying. If these guys in the trade are correct, they will have to use commercial divers to cut the thing into liftable pieces. Be almost a month before the cranes and other assets arrive. It is going to be a mess. This is nonstop on the radio here.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:05 pm
6 months is what the people on the local radio station are saying. If these guys in the trade are correct, they will have to use commercial divers to cut the thing into liftable pieces. Be almost a month before the cranes and other assets arrive. It is going to be a mess. This is nonstop on the radio here.
The won't have to clear out the entire bridge to get the harbor back open. Only about 200 ft in the center of the channel to produce enough clearance for ships to get in and out.

Meanwhile they can start manufacturing the components for a new bridge and stage them for assembly while they clear out the rest of the bridge debris.

I expect a whole lot of work will be done simultaneously.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Ken wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:50 pm
The won't have to clear out the entire bridge to get the harbor back open. Only about 200 ft in the center of the channel to produce enough clearance for ships to get in and out.

Meanwhile they can start manufacturing the components for a new bridge and stage them for assembly while they clear out the rest of the bridge debris.

You, sir, are an optimist.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:26 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:50 pm

You, sir, are an optimist.
There is what's possible and then there is what will actually happen. I have no idea how this will go. But it will be interesting to watch. I think it is interesting to see what we can accomplish when we get out of our own way.

They don't even need to clear out the debris of the old bridge before starting on a new one. All they need to do is put up a new one a hundred meters or so to the left or right of the old one and get started. Which is actually how most new bridges get built.
0 x