Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:48 am If a nearly new ship has a catastrophic failure like this. That doesn’t speak very well of new things built by the lowest bidder… much like Boeing airplanes. With software outsourced for $9/hr and a third party contracted that forgot to tighten bolts, so doors fly off midair.
An accident can’t be an accident can it?

Besides the bridge broke, the ship didn’t.

Clearly the new thing built by the lowest bidder held up pretty well.

Actually you’re probably right Josh,
It was the foreigners… they built the iPhone he was probably texting while barging with.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

The MV Dali was constructed in 2014 by Hyundai Heavy Industries in South Korea, the world's largest shipbuilder and a major manufacturer of heavy equipment. Not exactly the lowest builder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Dali
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

I wonder if Proverbs 18:13 would be something to consider in a case like this.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I just watched the video of it being hit. Wow.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Maybe the Kerch bridge builders should build some bridges here. That one seems sturdy.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore added that the Key Bridge was "fully up to code" and did not have any structural issues. Moore also confirmed that the ship's crew notified Baltimore authorities that they had lost power on the ship.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live/baltimo ... 55033.html
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

RZehr wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:47 am
Maryland Gov. Wes Moore added that the Key Bridge was "fully up to code" and did not have any structural issues. Moore also confirmed that the ship's crew notified Baltimore authorities that they had lost power on the ship.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live/baltimo ... 55033.html
That is what the local outlets are saying as well. This is going to create an absolute mess for traffic here. Dangerous goods cannot use the tunnels, and the west side beltway is under construction.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:36 am This is the result of globalisation, where the company responsible for the shipping (Maersk) then contracts it to a third party ("Synergy Marine Group"), who in turn finds the absolute cheapest (and, we can safely assume, least qualified) labour to actually run the ships. It is unclear if this incident is due to poor maintenance or lack of competence, but either way this is what happens with everything outsourced for the absolute bottom dollar.
Instead of "But Officer, I was just following the GPS" it's now "But Officer, I've been globalised."
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:59 am This is going to create an absolute mess for traffic here. Dangerous goods cannot use the tunnels, and the west side beltway is under construction.
Looking at the map, it really does appear to be a key bridge.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:18 am
Josh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:36 am This is the result of globalisation, where the company responsible for the shipping (Maersk) then contracts it to a third party ("Synergy Marine Group"), who in turn finds the absolute cheapest (and, we can safely assume, least qualified) labour to actually run the ships. It is unclear if this incident is due to poor maintenance or lack of competence, but either way this is what happens with everything outsourced for the absolute bottom dollar.
Instead of "But Officer, I was just following the GPS" it's now "But Officer, I've been globalised."
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:59 am This is going to create an absolute mess for traffic here. Dangerous goods cannot use the tunnels, and the west side beltway is under construction.
Looking at the map, it really does appear to be a key bridge.
It was planned as a tunnel…………….but became a bridge to save money.
0 x
:hug:
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

The latest --

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/26 ... e-collapse
A massive cargo ship leaving the Port of Baltimore lost power and issued a mayday call shortly before striking a major bridge early Tuesday, giving officials a brief chance to stop cars and try to evacuate the span before it fell into the river.

By Tuesday morning, six construction workers who had been fixing potholes on the Francis Scott Key Bridge remained missing as divers and other emergency workers on boats and helicopters continued to search for them. Two others had been rescued.
Initially, officials feared that drivers were submerged in their cars in the Patapsco River. But the warning from the Dali, a Singapore-flagged vessel, gave officials enough time to stop traffic at both ends of the bridge, according to several federal and Maryland officials.

The people who blocked traffic saved lives, Mr. Moore said. “These people are heroes.”
It sounds like that even though officials were able to stop traffic, the construction crew did not get off the bridge in time.

And this is where it looks bad for the owners of the Dali --
An inspection of the Dali last year at a port in Chile reported that the vessel had a deficiency related to “propulsion and auxiliary machinery.” The inspection, conducted on June 27 at the port of San Antonio, specified that the deficiency concerned gauges and thermometers.
The Dali has had 27 inspections since 2015, according to a database maintained by Equasis. The only other deficiency, a damaged hull “impairing seaworthiness,” was found in 2016, at the port of Antwerp. The vessel hit a berth at the port that year. A spokesman for the Dali’s owner, Grace Ocean Investment, declined to comment on the deficiency reported last year.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford