Lying to Mennonites

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
redoyja
Affiliation: Beachy

Re: Lying to Mennonites

Post by redoyja »

Robert wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:34 am
Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:40 am I would also check to verify he didn’t have contact with children and if he did, start managing the potential problem and repercussions… report it too.
Yes. Report him to the County Sheriff and if they do not do anything, contact the State Police. He is up to no good. Children need to be protected. He also may not be able to return to his family if he is a sex offender. That is just a lie to get people to help him.
Somewhere along the way the police were informed.
How willing are other people here to give work to those asking for it? Should we only give jobs to people who will responsibly use their earnings? Over the years we have given work to what most people would consider shady people. Sometimes things dissapear too( like all the heavy copper extension cords and welder leads) but its never put the farm out of business. My theory is if we don't occasionaly help the wrong person, we're not helping enough people. But do it with your eyes open!
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

redoyja wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:45 pm
Somewhere along the way the police were informed.
How willing are other people here to give work to those asking for it? Should we only give jobs to people who will responsibly use their earnings? Over the years we have given work to what most people would consider shady people. Sometimes things dissapear too( like all the heavy copper extension cords and welder leads) but its never put the farm out of business. My theory is if we don't occasionaly help the wrong person, we're not helping enough people. But do it with your eyes open!
I mostly don't have money to offer work to anyone, I have on occasion offered short term jobs to some semi transient people we were involved with. In my experience, most people I knew were willing to offer some form of work but it took a special person to let them shower in their house.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Back around 100 years ago My grandpa was a foreman at a ranch (back in Oklahoma). Hired a young drifter once, a real good worker, stayed on the ranch weekends, no carousing. Worked a few weeks, then moved on. Grandpa found out later that it was 'Pretty Boy Floyd'.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

redoyja wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:45 pm Somewhere along the way the police were informed.
An associate of mine will hire almost anyone who claims they need a job badly. He leaves a $20 bill in the door of his truck.

If the $20 is missing at the end of the day, he tells the person not to bother coming back, and that they also got paid for the day.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:23 pm
Robert wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:34 am
Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:40 am I would also check to verify he didn’t have contact with children and if he did, start managing the potential problem and repercussions… report it too.
Yes. Report him to the County Sheriff and if they do not do anything, contact the State Police. He is up to no good. Children need to be protected. He also may not be able to return to his family if he is a sex offender. That is just a lie to get people to help him.
I think it is unbecoming for pilgrim Christians to “report to the police” that someone was wandering around looking to work an odd job for some cash.
He is most likely wanted and needs to be kept away from children.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Presumably the odd jobs aren’t around children…
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:01 pm Presumably the odd jobs aren’t around children…
Child predators make sure they are or find ways to get around them. Compassionate, trusting families are easy prey targets. Children are too valuable to presume.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:13 am
Child predators make sure they are or find ways to get around them. Compassionate, trusting families are easy prey targets. Children are too valuable to presume.
Amen.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh

Post by Josh »

Robert wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:13 am
Josh wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:01 pm Presumably the odd jobs aren’t around children…
Regardless of whether someone has a criminal record or not, I wouldn't park some random new stranger around kids - but most jobs aren't like that anyway. For what it's worth, a lot of predators haven't been caught and don't have a record.

Nonetheless the Bible teaches us to be hospitable including to the alien and stranger that wanders into our church house or driveway. I don't think we should just immediately turn them out and call the cops on them.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh you have some very odd stances in regard to sex offenders.
The government should put them to death
And
Don’t report sex offenders.

No one is advocating that we don’t help the stranger or that we turn them away. From experience, the odd jobs are not always away from children.

There is a belief that sex offenders who lie are not to be trusted. I think if you actually replied to that your response might be a little more understanding rather then distort what is actually being talked about.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat