Is Haiti Near Actual Collapse?

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Is Haiti Near Actual Collapse?

Post by Josh »

Martin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:33 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:06 pm
Martin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:15 pm

It's very possible to act today. I am currently assisting numerous Haitians. Log onto the USCIS website and fill out an I-134A for a beneficiary and they often receive the visas to emigrate in about 2 weeks. They are wonderful contributors to our community and they have a nice congregation a few miles from my house.
I don’t consider relocating the population of Haiti to America to be a reasonable solution to anything.

In particular, the same gangs in Haiti have already established themselves in America. The problem needs to be fixed at the source.

For an example of how to fix things, see El Salvador.
Thank you for sharing your opinion!
This isn’t just an “opinion”. El Salvador’s problems with MS-13 started in Los Angeles. The gangs in Haiti already have plenty of U.S. connections including getting funding from illegal activities in America. (For an easy to understand example, look at the gangster who was prosecuted by U.S. authorities who was one of the CAM kidnappers; he was smuggling guns into Haiti paid for with proceeds from illegal activities in America plus proceeds from kidnappings.)

If you relocate the population of Haiti to, I dunno, Miami or Lancaster or something, you will have simply also moved the problem as well. You could very well have sponsored a visa for a gangster who will hurt many people and not even realise it.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:35 pm Your back to back posts are completely contradictory. First you wrote:
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:06 pmI don’t consider relocating the population of Haiti to America to be a reasonable solution to anything. In particular, the same gangs in Haiti have already established themselves in America. The problem needs to be fixed at the source.
Then you wrote:
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:09 pm At this point? Make it a territory since it clearly can’t handle self government
If we make Haiti into a US territory then Haitians BECOME Americans and will be able to freely migrate or move anywhere they want in the US without restriction just like Puerto Ricans or Hawaiians or Alaskans. If we make Haiti a territory then most Haitians are probably just going to hop a plane to the US where they would have a right to live like any other US citizen.
Notice I said “territory” not “state”. But I would prefer an international coalition.
If you want to fix things at the source, then you need to stand up a proper Haitian police force and government and NOT make Haiti into a US territory.

Those are two contradictory approaches.
Haiti has proven itself incapable of absolute self rule for a century now. I would advocate for an international coalition (good candidates would be Dominican Republic, France, and Canada). Eventually, limited local self rule can be reinstated.

The other option is for a strongman leader like Bukele to emerge who enforces law and order.
0 x
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:36 pm
Martin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:33 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:06 pm

I don’t consider relocating the population of Haiti to America to be a reasonable solution to anything.

In particular, the same gangs in Haiti have already established themselves in America. The problem needs to be fixed at the source.

For an example of how to fix things, see El Salvador.
Thank you for sharing your opinion!
This isn’t just an “opinion”. El Salvador’s problems with MS-13 started in Los Angeles. The gangs in Haiti already have plenty of U.S. connections including getting funding from illegal activities in America. (For an easy to understand example, look at the gangster who was prosecuted by U.S. authorities who was one of the CAM kidnappers; he was smuggling guns into Haiti paid for with proceeds from illegal activities in America plus proceeds from kidnappings.)

If you relocate the population of Haiti to, I dunno, Miami or Lancaster or something, you will have simply also moved the problem as well. You could very well have sponsored a visa for a gangster who will hurt many people and not even realise it.
I am not into fearmongering or creating hypothetical situations. Boots on the ground, none of the individuals I have sponsored are criminal and they are filling the employee void in my area.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

It’s not “hypothetical”. The gangs are already established in places like Miami. And guess what, the people who get terrorised the most by them are fellow Haitians.

I don’t agree that the solution for troubled nations is to relocate the population to America.

I’m also sure there are plenty of unemployed people in your local area - it’s just easier to take advantage of people from the third world who will accept low wages and unsafe working conditions.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:42 pm It’s not “hypothetical”. The gangs are already established in places like Miami. And guess what, the people who get terrorised the most by them are fellow Haitians.

I don’t agree that the solution for troubled nations is to relocate the population to America.

I’m also sure there are plenty of unemployed people in your local area - it’s just easier to take advantage of people from the third world who will accept low wages and unsafe working conditions.
So people who are trying out of the goodness of their hearts to help a few people escape literal third-world hellholes get thanked by you accusing them of doing it to benefit stingy employers. Yeah whatever, man.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:35 pm Your back to back posts are completely contradictory. First you wrote:
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:06 pmI don’t consider relocating the population of Haiti to America to be a reasonable solution to anything. In particular, the same gangs in Haiti have already established themselves in America. The problem needs to be fixed at the source.
Then you wrote:
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:09 pm At this point? Make it a territory since it clearly can’t handle self government
If we make Haiti into a US territory then Haitians BECOME Americans and will be able to freely migrate or move anywhere they want in the US without restriction just like Puerto Ricans or Hawaiians or Alaskans. If we make Haiti a territory then most Haitians are probably just going to hop a plane to the US where they would have a right to live like any other US citizen.
Notice I said “territory” not “state”. But I would prefer an international coalition.
If you want to fix things at the source, then you need to stand up a proper Haitian police force and government and NOT make Haiti into a US territory.

Haiti has proven itself incapable of absolute self rule for a century now. I would advocate for an international coalition (good candidates would be Dominican Republic, France, and Canada). Eventually, limited local self rule can be reinstated.

The other option is for a strongman leader like Bukele to emerge who enforces law and order.
The difference between a territory and a state is whether or not they have a state legislature and representation in Congress (Senators and Representatives).

However the PEOPLE who live in US territories and states are all US citizens who hold US passports and have freedom to move anywhere they want in the US. Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, etc. are all US territories. Yet the people who live in those places hold US passports and are free to come and go as they wish.

If you want to make Haiti a US territory then the consequence will be that all Haitians become US citizens.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:51 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:42 pm It’s not “hypothetical”. The gangs are already established in places like Miami. And guess what, the people who get terrorised the most by them are fellow Haitians.

So people who are trying out of the goodness of their hearts to help a few people escape literal third-world hellholes get thanked by you accusing them of doing it to benefit stingy employers. Yeah whatever, man.
I think it’s fine if he wants to sponsor a few people he knows.

Coming on here and telling us to randomly sponsor people we don’t know? And acting like that’s an actual solution to anything? No.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:51 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm

Then you wrote:

The difference between a territory and a state is whether or not they have a state legislature and representation in Congress (Senators and Representatives).

However the PEOPLE who live in US territories and states are all US citizens who hold US passports and have freedom to move anywhere they want in the US. Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, etc. are all US territories. Yet the people who live in those places hold US passports and are free to come and go as they wish.

If you want to make Haiti a US territory then the consequence will be that all Haitians become US citizens.
Then make it a territory where they aren’t citizens, which is entirely a function of legislation. Not the constitution. The U.S. has had many territories where it didn’t grant citizenship.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Josh, in our area there are many jobs here that local folks won't take because it is beneath them or because they don't want to work. It seems lately that there are many folks who do not want to work, or work til they make x dollars and quit til they need money. The immigrant population in our area work these jobs and work them faithfully, filling a big need that many of the unemployed in this area do not wish to take.
So your statement above is your opinion and you are entitled to it but it doesn't mean others are taking advantage of the immigrants who are coming into this country who are willing to work.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

QuietlyListening wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:56 pm
Josh, in our area there are many jobs here that local folks won't take because it is beneath them or because they don't want to work. It seems lately that there are many folks who do not want to work, or work til they make x dollars and quit til they need money. The immigrant population in our area work these jobs and work them faithfully, filling a big need that many of the unemployed in this area do not wish to take.
So your statement above is your opinion and you are entitled to it but it doesn't mean others are taking advantage of the immigrants who are coming into this country who are willing to work.
In other words, immigrants will put up with lower wages and worse working conditions.
0 x