Is Haiti Near Actual Collapse?

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Is Haiti Near Actual Collapse?

Post by Martin »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:40 am A better question is what’s taking so long.

We hear endless noise about Ukraine and Israel. Why not act in one of our closest neighbours?
It's very possible to act today. I am currently assisting numerous Haitians. Log onto the USCIS website and fill out an I-134A for a beneficiary and they often receive the visas to emigrate in about 2 weeks. They are wonderful contributors to our community and they have a nice congregation a few miles from my house.
0 x
Martin

Post by Martin »

An interesting book about Haiti is "Haiti, a Shattered Nation". They haven't had a functioning government for decades and there's no infrastructure. The best solution, I feel, is to assist them in our wonderful country.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Martin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:15 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:40 am A better question is what’s taking so long.

We hear endless noise about Ukraine and Israel. Why not act in one of our closest neighbours?
It's very possible to act today. I am currently assisting numerous Haitians. Log onto the USCIS website and fill out an I-134A for a beneficiary and they often receive the visas to emigrate in about 2 weeks. They are wonderful contributors to our community and they have a nice congregation a few miles from my house.
I assume this would have to be somebody from Haiti that you know personally?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

There is a difference between an international peacekeeping force and a military invasion.

What is it that you want the role of the US to be? To simply be an occupying force and have US soldiers replace all the functions of the Haitian government and police and do their jobs for them? That is essentially what we did in Iraq, we went in and used US soldiers to replace all the Iraqis. Then you can go in quick because you are just going to take over EVERYTHING and you are also going to stay much longer as a consequence, since you will be running everything.

Or do you want the US (or other foreign armies like Kenya) to simply provide background security and assistance so that the Haitians can put things back together for themselves. That is going to take MUCH longer to coordinate. But potentially take less time in the long run and the return to civilian Haitian governance might happen faster. But it means working with what remains of the Haitian government at every level and that is going to go slow.

You have to know what the objective is and what the intended outcome is before you send troops anyplace. That was the mistake with Iraq. They didn't do any of that planning. The US just went charging in and created chaos and a decade-long insurrection.

US troops are also not intervening in either Ukraine or Iraq. We are essentially just providing weapons and monetary assistance and letting the Ukrainians and Israelis do their own thing. That isn't going to work with Haiti if there is no legitimate Haitian police force and army.
Last edited by Ken on Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I don’t consider relocating the population of Haiti to America to be a reasonable solution to anything.

In particular, the same gangs in Haiti have already established themselves in America. The problem needs to be fixed at the source.

For an example of how to fix things, see El Salvador.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:05 pm

There is a difference between an international peacekeeping force and a military invasion.

What is it that you want the role of the US to be? To simply be an occupying force and have US soldiers replace all the functions of the Haitian government and police and do their jobs for them? That is essentially what we did in Iraq, we went in and used US soldiers to replace all the Iraqis. Then you can go in quick because you are just going to take over EVERYTHING and you are also going to stay much longer as a consequence, since you will be running everything.

Or do you want the US (or other foreign armies like Kenya) to simply provide background security and assistance so that the Haitians can put things back together for themselves. That is going to take MUCH longer to coordinate. But potentially take less time in the long run and the return to civilian Haitian governance might happen faster. But it means working with what remains of the Haitian government at every level and that is going to go slow.

You have to know what the objective is and what the intended outcome is before you send troops anyplace. That was the mistake with Iraq. They didn't do any of that planning. The US just went charging in and created chaos and a decade-long insurrection.
At this point? Make it a territory since it clearly can’t handle self government, perhaps ruled by an international coalition.
0 x
Martin

Post by Martin »

mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:24 pm

No, I never met any of them prior to the sponsorship. I had a Haitian friend who told me about the program, and he provided me the passports for the beneficiaries. Our local Glenwood hired 4 Ukrainian ladies and they came courtesy of the program also. Currently working to get two young Ukrainian families here also.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Martin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:09 pm
mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:24 pm

No, I never met any of them prior to the sponsorship. I had a Haitian friend who told me about the program, and he provided me the passports for the beneficiaries. Our local Glenwood hired 4 Ukrainian ladies and they came courtesy of the program also. Currently working to get two young Ukrainian families here also.
That is wonderful to hear.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Martin

Post by Martin »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:06 pm

I don’t consider relocating the population of Haiti to America to be a reasonable solution to anything.

In particular, the same gangs in Haiti have already established themselves in America. The problem needs to be fixed at the source.

For an example of how to fix things, see El Salvador.
Thank you for sharing your opinion!
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Your back to back posts are completely contradictory. First you wrote:
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:06 pmI don’t consider relocating the population of Haiti to America to be a reasonable solution to anything. In particular, the same gangs in Haiti have already established themselves in America. The problem needs to be fixed at the source.
Then you wrote:
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:09 pm At this point? Make it a territory since it clearly can’t handle self government
If we make Haiti into a US territory then Haitians BECOME Americans and will be able to freely migrate or move anywhere they want in the US without restriction just like Puerto Ricans or Hawaiians or Alaskans. If we make Haiti a territory then most Haitians are probably just going to hop a plane to the US where they would have a right to live like any other US citizen.

If you want to fix things at the source, then you need to stand up a proper Haitian police force and government and NOT make Haiti into a US territory.

Those are two contradictory approaches.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr