Trans student killed in school

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Trans student killed in school

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:37 pm
Szdfan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:23 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:16 pm
Even if they dress like a school shooter, tactical vests, gloves, helmet, AR-15?
The child deserves to feel safe at school, even if he can't bring is AR-15 with him. If a student does dress up as a school shooter, it means that the student is not feeling safe and that there needs to be some exploration about why they are feeling that way.

Also...are you comparing non-binary and trans kids to school shooters? I'm a bit confused by the comparison.
Considering how often school shooters are trans, there isn’t a need to do a comparison.
There have been somewhere north of 400 school shootings since Columbine. Enough to generate statistics.

Do tell us how many of them were trans.

Or expand it past schools. In the past decade (since 2013) there have been an estimated 4,400 mass shootings (4 or more people shot). How many of them were trans? The answer is knowable. I'm curious if you know it.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

REMINDER: This girl was neither trans nor a mass shooter. Give it a break, PLEASE. Stop long enough to think about a young life lost. A grieving family. Friends. The lost potential of what she might have become. How she might have come to Christ for healing and real life. Even the girls who were pestering - bullying - her. Do you think they wanted her to die?
3 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Neto wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:19 pm REMINDER: This girl was neither trans nor a mass shooter. Give it a break, PLEASE. Stop long enough to think about a young life lost. A grieving family. Friends. The lost potential of what she might have become. How she might have come to Christ for healing and real life. Even the girls who were pestering - bullying - her. Do you think they wanted her to die?
I don't think that these various strands are as easily separated as you want them to be.

Nex Benedict was non-binary and according to both family and friends, they were bullied about being non-binary to the point that they killed themselves. According to friends and family in the article I cited earlier, the bullying worsened after Oklahoma instituted laws about bathrooms.
The family said Nex Benedict's bullying had begun after Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt, citing safety concerns, signed a bill into law in May 2022 that barred transgender and gender-expansive youth from using bathrooms consistent with their gender identity.
Nex's suicide and the bullying they experienced because of their gender identity are interconnected.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Could you tell us what bathroom a “non-binary” person expects to use?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:26 pm Could you tell us what bathroom a “non-binary” person expects to use?
Could you tell us why it is even a concern of yours?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:33 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:26 pm Could you tell us what bathroom a “non-binary” person expects to use?
It’s a reasonable question, particularly if you’re blaming bathroom access issues with leading to this person’s suicide.

So, if she was being “bullied” about rules requiring people to use the correct bathroom… what does a nonbinary person think they should do instead?
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Neto wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:19 pm REMINDER: This girl was neither trans nor a mass shooter. Give it a break, PLEASE.
Stop long enough to think about a young life lost. A grieving family. Friends. The lost potential of what she might have become. How she might have come to Christ for healing and real life.
Even the girls who were pestering - bullying - her. Do you think they wanted her to die?
The loss of a God created young soul.
And, as you say, her loved ones, even the other children she was at odds with, even younger.

Children lack perspective, experience to make long term decisions. They have no concept of “forever.”
Whether they harm others or themselves, they literally “know not what they do.” That is, the full extent of it.

Yes, they can deliberately lash out, etc., they often have trouble with control. That’s what makes them so dangerous. Lack of discernment.

The Nickel Mines community were so wise to not allow media/political exploitation.
The opposite was Matthew Shepard, exploited to the hilt.

Jesus knows what He’s doing. The rest is “a mist that appears for a little while then vanishes.” James 4:14
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:19 pm REMINDER: This girl was neither trans nor a mass shooter. Give it a break, PLEASE. Stop long enough to think about a young life lost. A grieving family. Friends. The lost potential of what she might have become. How she might have come to Christ for healing and real life. Even the girls who were pestering - bullying - her. Do you think they wanted her to die?
Indeed and Amen.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:18 pm
Neto wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:55 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:08 am ....
Is there no dress code at these schools? I think boys should wear button down shirts and long pants, and girls should wear long dresses.
Sorry if I am quoting the same post again, but I had also wanted to comment on dress codes in the Owasso public school.

There was when I was there. Boys were to wear button shirts, with no more than the top button unfastened. Pants with belt loops, belt also required. (No shorts.) No pant legs tucked inside of boots. (Well, that one wasn't in the written code, but a classmate was expelled for three days for wearing his pant legs tucked inside his Apache moccasin boots.) Guys' hair had to be above the eye brows, over the ears, and off the collar.

Girls were to wear dresses, no pants, unless the temperature was extremely low. There was also a measurement above the knee, but I have no idea what it was - just that girls were sometimes sent home or expelled for infractions of this rule.

But the next year (after I graduated, 1974) some people moved in from out-of-state, or maybe that boy's family just came from Tulsa, and the parents sued the school over the dress code. (The public schools in Tulsa already didn't have dress codes when I was still a student there.) So that was the end of it, because lawyers jumped at a sure win deal like that - the over-all culture was changing. Lots of people had moved into Oklahoma from Northern states, and that trend increased in the rest of that decade. (This girl was part Indian, I think Choctaw, so her family were not 'Yankees'.)

By the way, the East Holmes HS was also sued (or threatened) over their dress code - quite a few years back already, over guys wearing ear rings.
Dress codes are a perennial battle in schools and always will be as long as hormones exist.

But it's not about trans kids. I would guestimate that 90% of dress code violations in most schools are straight girls pushing the envelope too far in terms of tight and revealing clothing. 5% is boy athletes wearing gym clothes to class (shorts and tank tops) and the last 5% is just random stuff like kids barefoot or wearing flip flops. Or other random unsafe stuff like spiky punk clothing.

Despite what some of you see to think. HS isn't about trans culture or LGBT culture. It is the same stuff it's always been. Boys eying girls and girls eying boys. The LGBT stuff is on the fringes. But students are just not as intolerant towards it as they used to be.
This used to not exist in the open. Students have always teased the non conforming student. This is nothing new, it happened in my day, it happened in my daughter's day, it happens now.

One of the points that keeps getting missed, is that this student appears to have initiated the physical part of the confrontation by throwing water on the students that were teasing this person. So, if you throw water on someone, many will retaliate. Not that it is right, but that is the likely result. The possibility is that there would not have been a fight if water had not been thrown. I don't know how you intend to police name calling, I wish I had a quarter for every name I was called. Most common one was "Pencil Geek," as I in fact did carry a slide rule, and was poor at hiding it. That was considered a pejorative , as most of the "in" crowd did not have use of a slide rule, in fact, I doubt they had use of pen and paper.

The dress issue is why our school has uniforms. It avoids the crazy stuff. A majority of our school is not from our church.
1 x
:hug:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:41 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:33 pm
It’s a reasonable question, particularly if you’re blaming bathroom access issues with leading to this person’s suicide.

So, if she was being “bullied” about rules requiring people to use the correct bathroom… what does a nonbinary person think they should do instead?
I'm not blaming bathroom access on anything and there is no reporting that bathroom access had anything to do with this incident. The child in question was biologically female and was in the girls bathroom. Where apparently she was supposed to be according to state law. It doesn't appear that the fight and bullying had anything to do with bathroom access. It was only incidental that it happened in a bathroom.
0 x