Trans student killed in school

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Trans student killed in school

Post by temporal1 »

Neto wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:12 pm I cannot remember now in which thread I mentioned that this young lady was of American Indian descent. And I also do not now recall which tribe it was, but I think it was one of the original "Five Civilized Tribes" that were moved to Indian Territory (from the Eastern States). I mentioned it in the context that she was "home people", not from people who had moved into Oklahoma in recent years.

What difference does that make?
People who are from Oklahoma going way back will know. (Like I said, "She was home people.")

But while it its true that American Indians are repressed in many areas of the USA, I would not consider that to be the case in Eastern Oklahoma (The former Indian Territory), and especially not in an Indian town like Owasso. (Maybe it has changed a lot more than I think, since I went to school there, I don't know.)

In my growing up years there, Indian families were no more likely to be poor, or broken than the average 'White American' family.

Owasso was a Cherokee town.
Some of the Cherokee who came on the "Trail of Tears" were already in professions like medical doctors.
(Will Rogers' father was such a one.)

Some of my school teachers were Indian, probably more than I know, but I do recall for certain that my 6th grade Science teacher was probably a full-blood Indian, and one of my best friend's father was a HS teacher, I think Science as well, but they moved away before I got up to HS.

You also only needed to be 1/8 in order to receive a free college education from the state of Oklahoma, so even those whose parents might have been on the poor side had opportunities to work their way up. (Another of my childhood friends is on FaceBook, and he & his wife are often going on cruises, generally to be considered an indication of some sort of wealth. Also full-blood Indian, Cherokee, as I recall.)

Another factor is that the Cherokee especially were as a majority Christians, so in that sense also, less likely to be broken families. (Maybe I'm just "living in the past".)
Thank you, Neto. Interesting.
When it comes to suicide, it seems no demogrphic is left out, nor socio-economic status. How often do suicide reports appear from young, healthy, talented, wealthy individuals? (Often, these are drug/alcohol abuse related.)

Same with divorce. For children of divorce, or abandonment, wealth is not a comfort.
Many grandparents do a tremendous job of raising their grandchildren. Evenso, i think hurt remains in the child’s heart.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:20 pm
Neto wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:08 pmAccording to a basic on-line search the characteristics of Matrilineality (Descent through the female line) may have also involved Matrilocality (settlement of a newly married couple in the woman's village or locality). But my own Plautdietsch Mennonite culture is also strongly matrilocal, while at the same time being patrilineal. (There is a strain of something in Plautdietsch that favors this. But perhaps one only need go to the Scripture for this - That a man should leave his father and mother, and cling to his wife.)
Odd, as the Holdemans (who are also largely Plautdietsch Mennonite culture) are always patrilocal.
I thought of this before, but had to get ready for our communion service tonight.
Anyway, I was going to mention that my (paternal) grandpa married my Grandma around the same time that her sister also married, both couples about the same time. Both my Grandpa and my Great Uncle worked for their father-in-law (my Great Grandpa). I think this was before they were married, but possibly for a time afterwards as well. My Dad also left his home area (150 miles away) and settled in my Mom's home area. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of family back ground data to get any reliable comparisons.

Regarding Ken's question above - Matrilineality. I read a couple of ethnographic studies on matrilineal societies, and they found some evidences of "daughter preference" in some such societies, but not as noticeably so as is the case with "son preference" among patrilineal societies. I can see how a female child growing up in a severely patrilineal society might want to "live as a male". But if the current Choctow culture is still strongly matrilineal, there would be no cultural value in a girl identifying as a boy. (I can't really get my head inside this non-binary mindset, but I don't see any cultural factors involved in this case. In many ways the Indian cultures are more strongly supported by ethnic identity than that found in the larger American culture, so if anything, I would assume that her Choctow identity (and likely other native tribal heritages as well) would be more beneficial than 'harmful'.

To analyze the bullying problem in a non-mainstream cultural context, one would need to know the cultural identities of the bullies. What cultural attitudes did/do they hold? But she herself said that the conflict was about hos she dressed, and how she laughed. I will sooner believe she accurately described the issue than what the family, and others who may have reasons to shift the focus to something more politically advantageous, later gave as the cause of the mistreatment of which she was a victim. (The pronouns used in the news reports makes it impossible to know if she was referring to herself only, or if she had other friends of whom she might have also been speaking.)

But mostly, for what ever reasons the other girls chose to torment her, the outcome of it all just really saddens me. (And not just for her, but for them as well.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Neto:
.. But mostly, for what ever reasons the other girls chose to torment her, the outcome of it all just really saddens me. :(
(And not just for her, but for them as well.) :(
The tender young souls.
1 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sad deal.
Reuters
No charges to be filed in death of Oklahoma nonbinary teen

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-charges-f ... 40101.html

Prosecutors on Thursday announced that no criminal charges would be filed in the death of nonbinary Oklahoma teenager Nex Benedict, who died one day after a fight at school that may have followed bullying due to Benedict's gender identity.

The Oklahoma medical examiner on March 13 ruled that Benedict died by suicide from ingesting antidepressants and antihistamines, while also finding nonlethal wounds from the fight on Benedict's nose and mouth.
Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler called Benedict's death a tragedy in a statement, but said the conduct of juveniles involved in the fight in the girls' restroom failed to rise to the standard of a prosecutable crime.

"I am in agreement with their (police) assessment that the filing of juvenile charges is not warranted. From all the evidence gathered, this fight was an instance of mutual combat," Kunzweiler said.

Benedict, who was assigned female at birth, preferred they/them pronouns with some people and he/him pronouns among close friends, according to the Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ advocacy group.
0 x
Theophilos
Affiliation: Anabaptist-Mennonite

Post by Theophilos »

Looks like that the schoolchildren have nothing to do with that tragedy. The child was abused by a parent.

https://redstate.com/chad-felix-greene/ ... t-n2172000
The past President of the American College of Pediatricians, Dr. Quentin Van Meter, told that he estimates the majority of girls transitioning have suffered sexual abuse.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Theophilos wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am
Looks like that the schoolchildren have nothing to do with that tragedy. The child was abused by a parent.

The past President of the American College of Pediatricians, Dr. Quentin Van Meter, told that he estimates the majority of girls transitioning have suffered sexual abuse.
^^Quoted headline from linked report.
“The Tragic Story of Nex Benedict Is About Far More Than the Vulture Media's Exploitative Narrative”

The “Vulture Media” .. does not rest. :(
0 x

UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 am

“The Tragic Story of Nex Benedict Is About Far More Than the Vulture Media's Exploitative Narrative”

Good night! How was this missed?
1 x
:hug:
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:45 am
temporal1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 am

Good night! How was this missed?
For ‘way too many, White House leading the politically organized: deliberately missed, ignored.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:29 pm For ‘way too many, White House leading the politically organized: deliberately missed, ignored.
I really doubt the WH had anything to do with that. This is either withheld information by family, shoddy investigation by media or the media withheld it.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:40 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:29 pm For ‘way too many, White House leading the politically organized: deliberately missed, ignored.
I really doubt the WH had anything to do with that. This is either withheld information by family, shoddy investigation by media or the media withheld it.
not intended to be argumentative in this tragic topic, what i was referring to is biden’s preferential treatment of the organized political bloc that latched onto Nex’s story from the start. and the adoring media. notice, this report isn’t from NYT.

Statement from President Joe Biden on Nex Benedict
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... -benedict/

The messages are consistent, and stern. Social directives.
0 x

UNKNOWN