Trans student killed in school

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Trans student killed in school

Post by Ernie »

Neto wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:08 pmI had my head banged repeatedly against a brick wall while I was in Jr High.
I had a Mennonite teacher bang my head against a brick wall.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:17 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:41 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:33 pm

Could you tell us why it is even a concern of yours?
It’s a reasonable question, particularly if you’re blaming bathroom access issues with leading to this person’s suicide.

So, if she was being “bullied” about rules requiring people to use the correct bathroom… what does a nonbinary person think they should do instead?
I'm not blaming bathroom access on anything and there is no reporting that bathroom access had anything to do with this incident. The child in question was biologically female and was in the girls bathroom. Where apparently she was supposed to be according to state law. It doesn't appear that the fight and bullying had anything to do with bathroom access. It was only incidental that it happened in a bathroom.
when I was in high school that is where most of the stuff happened.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:39 pm
Neto wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:08 pmI had my head banged repeatedly against a brick wall while I was in Jr High.
:o
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:26 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:41 pm

It’s a reasonable question, particularly if you’re blaming bathroom access issues with leading to this person’s suicide.

So, if she was being “bullied” about rules requiring people to use the correct bathroom… what does a nonbinary person think they should do instead?
I'm not blaming bathroom access on anything and there is no reporting that bathroom access had anything to do with this incident. The child in question was biologically female and was in the girls bathroom. Where apparently she was supposed to be according to state law. It doesn't appear that the fight and bullying had anything to do with bathroom access. It was only incidental that it happened in a bathroom.
How did you know what all was happening in the girl's restroom?! :angel
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

I listened to the White House Press Briefing yesterday. Although any individual who commits suicide is sad and tragic, this individual got far more acknowledgement than the brutal murder of Laken Riley, by an illegal immigrant.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Grace wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:19 am I listened to the White House Press Briefing yesterday. Although any individual who commits suicide is sad and tragic, this individual got far more acknowledgement than the brutal murder of Laken Riley, by an illegal immigrant.
Truly tragic; murder pure and simple.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus

Neto wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:36 am

The noise and smoke that emerged from there. The endless discussions we on the student council executive committee had with the administration on the subject. I was on the executive committee of the student council during my senior year in high school..
1 x
Judas Maccabeus

My brother's teaching career ended when he threw a student against a wall. This was public school. His degree was in Physical Education. He was a long term sub.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:11 pm
My brother's teaching career ended when he threw a student against a wall. This was public school. His degree was in Physical Education. He was a long term sub.
I guess he Physically Educated that one all right!
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:09 pm
Neto wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:36 am
The noise and smoke that emerged from there. The endless discussions we on the student council executive committee had with the administration on the subject. I was on the executive committee of the student council during my senior year in high school..
These days it is endless (and probably always has been)

Most schools have very sensitive smoke detectors in the student bathrooms and CCTV cameras in the hallways so that if a fire alarm goes off because kids were vaping or smoking in the bathroom (these days it is mostly vaping) then they can pull up the footage and know who, exactly, was in there. Setting off a fire alarm because you were vaping in the bathroom is a sure way to get a week suspension. At one school I taught at the principal was so angry about it that he threatened to close all the student bathrooms in the school and install a row of porta potties in the parking lot. Never quite came to that. That was the first year back after COVID and kids needed to be re-taught how to behave. It has mostly settled down now.

They also mostly take out the mirrors to keep girls from lingering in there. These days they use their phones to put on makeup and such anyway.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr