My former employer is on fire!

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: My former employer is on fire!

Post by temporal1 »

:(

From OP link:
My initial reaction was, 'It can't be happening to us,' but yet, my initial reaction was that - 'I want everyone out of the building.' If everyone's out of the building, everything will be OK no matter what happens going forward,"
said store owner Nevin Martin.

The Martin's Grocery Store exterior was renovated last fall. Now, the building is a complete loss.
Damage is estimated to be in the millions of dollars.

The grocery store has been at the plaza since the late 1980s.

As for the fire, Lincoln Fire Company Public Information Officer Randy Gockley said it's going to be a 12-to-16-hour fight to finally put it out.

It's not yet clear what started the fire.
Stay with WGAL for updates.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:10 am :(

From OP link:
My initial reaction was, 'It can't be happening to us,' but yet, my initial reaction was that - 'I want everyone out of the building.' If everyone's out of the building, everything will be OK no matter what happens going forward,"

The Martin's Grocery Store exterior was renovated last fall. Now, the building is a complete loss.

As for the fire, Lincoln Fire Company Public Information Officer Randy Gockley said it's going to be a 12-to-16-hour fight to finally put it out.

Word on the street said it started in the bakery.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I am sorry to see this. I do hope no one has been injured.
More than 80 fire and emergency units from four counties have responded to a fire at Martin's Country Market at the Lincoln strip mall off Route 322 in Ephrata Township.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:11 am Word on the street said it started in the bakery.
if they don’t already, maybe putting firewalls around bakery departments, and other higher-incident areas would prevent massive fires?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville

temporal1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:31 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:11 am Word on the street said it started in the bakery.
if they don’t already, maybe putting firewalls around bakery departments, and other higher-incident areas would prevent massive fires?
It wasn't the most modern building to begin with. Back when I worked there in the early to mid-90's, half that building was Martin's and the other half was Galen's of Ephrata.
1 x

mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:11 am

From OP link:

I heard a bakery employee who came in early to work found the fire in a janitorial closet or something by the bakery. Kind of hard to believe an automated fire alarm system wouldn't have detected it first. The system in my business goes off if you so much as burn a piece of toast.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville

mike wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:10 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:11 am

From OP link:
I heard a bakery employee who came in early to work found the fire in a janitorial closet or something by the bakery. Kind of hard to believe an automated fire alarm system wouldn't have detected it first. The system in my business goes off if you so much as burn a piece of toast.
One of the Martin's did say in an interview that the alarm triggered a minute after the employee called 911.
0 x

Samuel-Stoltzfus
Affiliation: Cons. Anabaptist

Post by Samuel-Stoltzfus »

From what I've heard most of the fire is out, I saw a bunch of pics from inside the building and it's pretty destroyed.
My brother says that the market is a total loss, the appliance store suffered a bunch of smoke damage but not a lot of fire so that side fared a lot better.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Commercial ovens, rotisseries, stoves, grills, already do have pretty stringent fire codes for both equipment and installation. And also more mundane things like storage. That is part of the job of fire departments, to conduct fire code inspections.

But of course it is always possible that an older business may not have equipment or installations that meet current codes. They are sometimes not retroactive.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:30 pm
Commercial ovens, rotisseries, stoves, grills, already do have pretty stringent fire codes for both equipment and installation. And also more mundane things like storage. That is part of the job of fire departments, to conduct fire code inspections.

But of course it is always possible that an older business may not have equipment or installations that meet current codes. They are sometimes not retroactive.
No sprinkler system in this case, the building was built in the 80s prior to that requirement.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3