My former employer is on fire!

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: My former employer is on fire!

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:22 am I'm sure Grace will be along soon to add to this.

A few coworkers have family and friends that work there and they got an email yesterday stating they are not rebuilding. Back in the day, they had three stores. Now they have none.
We keep hearing they might rebuild, then that they are not. It might be that the email confirms that they will not rebuild. Martin's Appliance has two other stores, plus a large warehouse. Much of the space in their store at Ephrata, was the furniture department. I don't know how well they did with the furniture, as it was high end and rather expensive.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Furniture stores seem to be a licence to print money around here.

Whereas appliance stores have trouble staying in business.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Martins Appliance is slowly falling out of favor in our area, for a variety of reasons. Quite a few smaller operations have sprung up since the pandemic and they seem to be doing well.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:41 pm Martins Appliance is slowly falling out of favor in our area, for a variety of reasons. Quite a few smaller operations have sprung up since the pandemic and they seem to be doing well.
That is new, news. I was unaware of that. The furniture department had beautiful furniture, but the prices were way out of our price ranges.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Grace wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:00 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:41 pm Martins Appliance is slowly falling out of favor in our area, for a variety of reasons. Quite a few smaller operations have sprung up since the pandemic and they seem to be doing well.
That is new, news. I was unaware of that. The furniture department had beautiful furniture, but the prices were way out of our price ranges.
That would be up here in my area, anyways. Not saying they are having problems or anything, just that there is some competition out there now.
0 x

mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

They have a new store in our area (30 min away) and it's doing well. Ditto their water treatment business. (At least six people in our church are employed by Martin's.) We have a couple long-time locally owned appliance stores that are sort of fading, owners possibly looking at getting out of the business. One of them already asked Martin's to take over their service work (they apparently declined because they don't service certain brands). I suspect that one or both of these businesses might fold in the next ten years and Martin's will mop up their business.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
mike

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:22 am I'm sure Grace will be along soon to add to this.

A few coworkers have family and friends that work there and they got an email yesterday stating they are not rebuilding. Back in the day, they had three stores. Now they have none.
No surprise. I was just by there the other day and it looks like at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the structure is cleaned up. With the competition they had in the area and the expense of rebuilding, it's no surprise that the ROI of a pricey new supermarket just didn't make sense. Plus JFM is planning a new distribution center and they can probably use the cash toward that project.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

mike wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:25 pm

No surprise. I was just by there the other day and it looks like at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the structure is cleaned up. With the competition they had in the area and the expense of rebuilding, it's no surprise that the ROI of a pricey new supermarket just didn't make sense. Plus JFM is planning a new distribution center and they can probably use the cash toward that project.
With Sharp Shopper right across the street, competition must be fierce. Is Sharp Shopper Mennonite owned? I only see them in areas with a large plain population.
0 x
:hug:
mike

Post by mike »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:43 pm
mike wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:25 pm

With Sharp Shopper right across the street, competition must be fierce. Is Sharp Shopper Mennonite owned? I only see them in areas with a large plain population.
Not that I know of.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:43 pm
Plus Dutch Way is now in Ephrata. I'm sure that could have been giving them a run for their money.

I forgot about the land they bought over towards Newmanstown. I think that property might have rail service. There was an old brick plant in there that did, but not sure it is part of what they bought.
0 x