Meanwhile, in Texas

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Meanwhile, in Texas

Post by Robert »

Caution. Language. I am not supporting what is posted in the comments. Just don't know how to get the video without the comments.

At the border.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Meanwhile, in Texas

Post by Szdfan »

What is your perspective about these two tweets?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:11 am What is your perspective about these two tweets?
I am not surprised. I do not agree with violence or aggression. I think both are inevitable with today's politics. I expect it to get worse. That is why I started the thread. I suspect, like the Canada thread, for things to get much crazier.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:41 pmDoesn't he have a constitutional right to be obnoxious?
You mean the part of the Bill of Rights where it guarantees the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government?
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:44 pm
Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:41 pmDoesn't he have a constitutional right to be obnoxious?
You mean the part of the Bill of Rights where it guarantees the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government?
I think so -- Greg Abbott is the governor of Texas (and part of the government) and while interrupting him and yelling things, while obnoxious, is not violent. There would have been other ways to respond or handle this that wouldn't have involved mob action.

Did this protestor deserve to be assaulted?
Last edited by Szdfan on Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Do feelings of outrage justify violence?
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:20 pm
Yes -- Greg Abbott is the governor of Texas (and part of the government) and while interrupting him and yelling things, while obnoxious, is not violent. There would have been other ways to respond or handle this that wouldn't have involved mob action.

The protestor was not peaceable.

He did not deserve to be assaulted.

The people who dragged him out and pushed him after he was outside were not peaceable.

They all need oughta get set on a chair in the corner until they can learn how to behave themselves!
1 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:30 pm Do feelings of outrage justify violence?
No.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:33 pm
Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:30 pm Do feelings of outrage justify violence?
No.
I'm concerned that it's being argued that feelings of outrage justify violence.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:32 pm
Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:20 pm
Yes -- Greg Abbott is the governor of Texas (and part of the government) and while interrupting him and yelling things, while obnoxious, is not violent. There would have been other ways to respond or handle this that wouldn't have involved mob action.

The protestor was not peaceable.

He did not deserve to be assaulted.

The people who dragged him out and pushed him after he was outside were not peaceable.
I agree that the protestor was not peaceable -- he was deliberately being confrontational -- but I don't think that he was being violent.
2 x