Good things about migration

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Good things about migration

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:48 pm
Sudsy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:38 pm
mike wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:05 am

The point is that Ketchup should never have migrated. It should stay in China where it came from.
Well, I worked 37 years for the H.J. Heinz Company and have 22 years of retirement on a generous pension plan so I'm glad the company expanded to Canada and this excellent ketchup is still being manufactured here in Leamington, Ontario. Many migrant workers have been and still are employed in the tomato harvest each year. We have truly been blessed to have the weather and land and workers to provide ketchup and many other food products here. The company is now owned by 'Kraft Heinz Canada' and called 'Highbury Canco'.

And interesting statement on it's history - Ketchup has a surprisingly long evolution that originated in China. The first version was based on pickled fish and looked more like a soy sauce – with a dark and thin texture. It was called “keh-jup” or “koe-cheup,” meaning “fish sauce.”

You won't find any fish connection in the current product here. :clap:
In a thread for "Good things about migration", the good thing is that Big Tomato benefits from migration, and tomato products displaced the fish? :shock: 8-)
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Big Tomato has a representative on Mennonet.
Strictly speaking, migration has resulted in a massive shift in tomato-based condiments in this country. You can blame migration for our cultural shift from:

Ketchup (a domestic tomato-based condiment), to
Salsa and hot sauce (immigrant tomato-based condiments).
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:57 pm
Sudsy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:38 pm

Well, I worked 37 years for the H.J. Heinz Company and have 22 years of retirement on a generous pension plan so I'm glad the company expanded to Canada and this excellent ketchup is still being manufactured here in Leamington, Ontario. Many migrant workers have been and still are employed in the tomato harvest each year. We have truly been blessed to have the weather and land and workers to provide ketchup and many other food products here. The company is now owned by 'Kraft Heinz Canada' and called 'Highbury Canco'.

And interesting statement on it's history - Ketchup has a surprisingly long evolution that originated in China. The first version was based on pickled fish and looked more like a soy sauce – with a dark and thin texture. It was called “keh-jup” or “koe-cheup,” meaning “fish sauce.”

You won't find any fish connection in the current product here. :clap:
In a thread for "Good things about migration", the good thing is that Big Tomato benefits from migration, and tomato products displaced the fish? :shock: 8-)
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Big Tomato has a representative on Mennonet.
Strictly speaking, migration has resulted in a massive shift from in tomato-based condiments in this country. You can blame migration for our cultural shift from:

So the question is, which condiment uses more tomato's, and which condiment makes Big Tomato more powerful? Seems Big Tomato might be behind all this migration. They had such success with the earlier migrants to America bringing pizza sauce. Now they figured out how to do the same with salsa.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:01 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:57 pm
Strictly speaking, migration has resulted in a massive shift from in tomato-based condiments in this country. You can blame migration for our cultural shift from:

So the question is, which condiment uses more tomato's, and which condiment makes Big Tomato more powerful? Seems Big Tomato might be behind all this migration. They had such success with the earlier migrants to America bringing pizza sauce. Now they figured out how to do the same with salsa.
You also have to factor in consumption rate. In my house we go through a bottle of salsa much faster than a bottle of ketchup.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:01 pmSo the question is, which condiment uses more tomato's, and which condiment makes Big Tomato more powerful? Seems Big Tomato might be behind all this migration. They had such success with the earlier migrants to America bringing pizza sauce. Now they figured out how to do the same with salsa.
Pardon me but is Big Tomato a thing? I don't know anything about it if it is. :-)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:41 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:01 pmSo the question is, which condiment uses more tomato's, and which condiment makes Big Tomato more powerful? Seems Big Tomato might be behind all this migration. They had such success with the earlier migrants to America bringing pizza sauce. Now they figured out how to do the same with salsa.
Pardon me but is Big Tomato a thing? I don't know anything about it if it is. :-)
It is similar to Big Pharma, Big Oil. Few years back it came out that they were behind all of the largest wildfires in the west. Was a big price fixing scam. ;)
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:49 pm
It is similar to Big Pharma, Big Oil. Few years back it came out that they were behind all of the largest wildfires in the west. Was a big price fixing scam. ;)
viewtopic.php?p=130015#p130015
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

This is Big Tomato - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.7005340

:lol:
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:14 pm This is Big Tomato - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.7005340

:lol:
I look forward to the council's State of the Tomato report.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

So this is one that originated with you? :-) I can't find anything online.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:39 pm
So this is one that originated with you? :-) I can't find anything online.
I mean, I think it originated with Mike.
0 x