What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT

Post by HondurasKeiser »

RZehr wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:27 am
Ken wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:11 pm Here's an actual example of a business being targeted by a mob. Today actually. Because of the religious beliefs of the owners. Let me know when something similar happens to Christians.

Berlin, 1935
Yeah, super Pro-Palestinian and not at all Anti-Semitic.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

[media]https://x.com/samaberman/status/1713687 ... 41596?s=20[/media]

Petition grows to oust Ivy League Columbia prof who praised Hamas attack as ‘awesome’

Young Jews Brace for ‘A Day of Global Jihad’
Read the article to follow the various links
To be clear, this is not just a Columbia problem.

On Tuesday, at Drexel University in Philadelphia, a Jewish student’s dorm room was set on fire. No other door in the hall was vandalized, and the student believes she was targeted due to her outspoken support of Israel. Police are now investigating this as a possible hate crime.

At Stanford on Wednesday, the Students for Justice in Palestine hosted a “teach-in” attended by about 250 people, where a source told The Free Press that a student speaker advised the crowd that the Israeli government’s “goal is to kill all Palestinians.”

On Thursday at Stanford it was reported that an instructor divided his students at a mandatory undergraduate course called “Civil, Liberal and Global Education” into two camps: Jews and non-Jews. The teacher told the Jewish students to gather their things, stand in a corner, and said, “This is what Israel does to the Palestinians.” The teacher then asked, “How many people died in the Holocaust?” When a student said, “Six million,” the teacher replied, “Colonizers killed more than 6 million. Israel is a colonizer.” In a public statement, Stanford revealed multiple students had reported this conduct, and it was now investigating “identity-based targeting of students.”

Also on Thursday, George Mason University in Virginia students waved Palestinian flags and chanted “glory to the resistance fighters.”

At UCLA, many hundreds of students gathered to chant: “intifada, intifada”—a call for an violent uprising against Israel.

At the University of Washington, a crowd of Students for Justice in Palestine filled the air with chants of “There is only one solution” as a Jewish student cried and begged an administrator, “They want us dead. How are you allowing this?” Olivia Feldman, the 20-year-old co-president of Students Supporting Israel at the college, told The Free Press, “I’ve been called a terrorist and a colonizer. I’ve been called a baby killer in the past. A lot of students are really afraid to go to class tomorrow.”

On Thursday, a Fox News reporter said that at least three protesters at the University of Massachusetts Amherst followed her into a parking garage, demanding to know her ethnicity, address, and phone number. When she refused, one of the protesters told her “I’ll have my lawyers contact you” and “have a terrible day.” (One of our reporters was denied an interview at a rally earlier this week because she was not Arab.)

At the pro-Palestinian rally at the University of Washington, a Jewish student asked a guard, “They want us dead. How are you allowing this?” (Photo via X)
It’s happening off campuses, too. Jewish people across the West—from London and Paris to New York and Sydney—are seeing the creeping telltale signs of hate.

The NYPD has been ordered to be out in force and in uniform all day Friday, amid fears of violence. Religious centers have been told to ensure all their doors are locked and guards remain on high alert. Jewish day schools across the city are ratcheting up security. Jews aren’t the only ones suffering from violence; three Palestinian supporters were reportedly attacked by a group waving Israeli flags on Wednesday night.

In Toronto, three men were arrested for making threats to the Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto. Authorities are now investigating the incident as a hate crime.

In Paris, after the government banned pro-Palestinian protests out of fear of civil unrest, several hundred still showed up in the downtown area chanting “Israel murderer.” Riot police eventually disbanded the crowd using tear gas.

In front of the Sydney Opera House in Australia Tuesday night, over one thousand protestors demanded “gas the Jews.” A group of men attended another rally in Melbourne that night, where they reportedly said they were “on the hunt to kill Jews.”

In London, women in hijabs were seen ripping down posters of Israeli hostages from buildings in the streets and scurrying away. At least three Jewish schools—Ateres Beis Yaakov Primary School, Torah Vodaas Primary School, and Menorah High School—are closed until Monday as a precautionary measure.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

^^Thanks, HK. i’ve seen some of what you shared. It’s serious.
Falco Knotwise wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:16 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:53 am Hey, Falco,
Today, on Page 62, “Major attack on Israel by Hamas,” the post with Ben Shapiro/Elise Stefanik,” causes me to wonder if a ripple effect of the Hamas terrorist attack might lead to “cooling down” of normalization+proliferation of lib ideology, esp in Ivy League schools and big state universities?? (The ideology does NOT stay in those institutions.)

Dare we hope?
P.62: viewtopic.php?t=6141&start=610
“Everything changes everything.” “The butterfly effect.”
God’s design.
If you’re referring to social justice ideologies, I’d say no such luck, temp.

They won’t stop until it becomes too unprofitable.
Stupidity is never convinced by argument.
That’s my question, as i sit stupefied on the sidelines.

Will wealthy Jewish donors have enough power AND motivation to slow down the route of lib ideology in “academic ivory towers” that they’ve been enjoying to the point of haughty entitlement?? (As reflected in the words of the 3 university presidents, so exactly identical, as-if memorized script.) Perfect memorization! “All in unison, now” .. ..

i was surprised+encouraged when the pandemic closed down gov schools, never expecting to see such a thing in my lifetime.
It wasn’t perfect. It came with costs. BUT, it opened many eyes to the idea other choices can be made.

- - - - - - -
Josh wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:42 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:32 am1) i’ve been listening to Ben Shapiro on this, he’s Jewish, and not ambivalent.
he’s not thinking in plaid or paisley.
I would consider Ben Shapiro to be a rather biased source about this, in particular since he has been loudly bleating that the U.S. needs to immediately get involved in this conflict (that does not involve us). I don't think the U.S. should go and get involved in more wars. Israel is more than capable of handling this conflict on their own, and already receives a massive amount of assistance from the U.S. in the form of money, foreign aid, and weapons.
2) no matter how often accused, i do not follow Fox, and never have. For me, Fox and NYT are more alike than not. i avoid both, do not totally ignore either. Unlike many, for me, “Fox” is not a trigger word. i pray it never is.
I used "Fox News" as a term of art, but if you'd like, I'll extend it to "the Daily Wire universe", which is a source of notoriously biased news, and in particular it tends to take a hawkish, pro-war stance which I feel is both harmful and specifically goes against the teachings of Jesus. As Christians, we should speak out against biased sources of news that seek to promote war instead of find peaceful resolutions of conflict.
3) Ben S has never said Palestinians have no grievances, his beef is specifically with Hamas (and their connections to Iran).
No plaid or paisley.
I don't think anyone is in favour of Hamas. Students who are protesting are not pro-Hamas. They are pro-Palestinian. That's a big difference. Hamas is already designated in America as a terrorist organisation and as enemy of the U.S. Hamas is not operating inside the U.S.
4) Whatever source, there seems to be no confusion about those billionaire donors who want clarity on antisemitism in university leadership and policy. i have no quarrel with that.
I disagree with this. The topic of "antisemitism" has been muddled with "anyone who doesn't support Netanyahu's current agenda of a one-state solution with Palestinians relegated to an apartheid status". There are many Israelis who actually don't agree with this. Anti-semitism is a real problem, and I think it's completely wrong to call a mainstream political position (a two-state solution or a one-state solution with genuine equal right for Palestinians) "anti-semitic".
Ben S used some incidents in Skokie, IL, as examples of “how free speech should work” - which i found highly relevant.
Skokie is a largely Jewish Chicago suburb which has been visited by strongly antisemite groups now+then.
They are protected under free speech laws, which Ben S. supports. i find this admirable. i’ve been impressed with Skokie’s response now+then over years. i’m sure it’s not easy for them, but they tolerate free speech and move on. (as it appears from where i sit.)
I have not seen that Ben Shapiro supports free speech laws. He seems to support speech that he likes, but doesn't support speech that he doesn't like. The right wing is being hypocritical and disingenuous in their current calls to silence people who protest on behalf of Palestine.
i doubt you viewed the videos. no problem.
Yes, I avoid watching videos of biased news. However, it is almost trivial to quickly get summaries of what a position is. Then I can read in a couple of minutes what was said, instead of wasting my time watching hours of videos designed to stir up strife and outrage.
i believe it’s healthy+desirable to separate authentic extremists/terrorists from others.
Before Oct 7, i thought it was basic, and commonly agreed.
I think it is too and I think this is an area where Shapiro (and much of the rest of the right wing) has completely failed. It is particularly egregious after the right wing complaining about "cancel culture" when they in turn are calling for the effective cancellation of people who disagree with their position on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
ok. this makes more sense.
it seems you’re seeing things i’m not, i’m seeing things you’re not.

one important example is, i’m not aware Ben S has been calling for U.S. military involvement, i’ve heard plenty from him about identifying Hamas as terrorists that should not be supported.

also, i’ve tried to be clear that he is Jewish, not ambiguous - with the presumption of bias. (regarding Hamas, strong bias.)
i have not shared anything Ben S has produced with the notion it’s without bias. it’s his opinions, that’s what he does.

i agree with those who believe Palestinians who are not pro-Hamas need to be clear about that. i understand (because of Hamas using them as human shields that may hardly seem possible). again, that’s on Hamas.

the U.S. has too much history of getting into conflicts with no plan to win, supporting both sides, creating protracted wars.
i presume Ben S wants no part of that.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Very few are for free speech once it crosses their sacred spaces. Maybe a good outcome forcing those University presidents to testify is they might be less inclined to silence people they find distasteful on the right.
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:27 pm Very few are for free speech once it crosses their sacred spaces. Maybe a good outcome forcing those University presidents to testify is they might be less inclined to silence people they find distasteful on the right.

On P.14, HK refers to the Horseshoe Theory, which i appreciate.
Thing is, in practice, in the hands of fallen man, i believe the horseshoes tend to become misshapened, one way or another.
Like so:

All human constructs require oversight and accountability. Why do we ever think otherwise?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:27 pm Very few are for free speech once it crosses their sacred spaces. Maybe a good outcome forcing those University presidents to testify is they might be less inclined to silence people they find distasteful on the right.
And perhaps the right wing could be a bit more honest that they also want to silence people they find distasteful. The way both left and right claim to be champions of free speech reeks of hypocrisy.
0 x
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Josh wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:55 am
And perhaps the right wing could be a bit more honest that they also want to silence people they find distasteful. The way both left and right claim to be champions of free speech reeks of hypocrisy.
Perhaps because being for free speech tout court is immoral and a fools errand
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:27 am
And that could be the case. But neither side has been willing to say that, so far. They just claim to be all about free speech, but then describe their political foes as somehow not being the kind of speech that’s free.
0 x
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Josh wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:11 am
HondurasKeiser wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:27 am

And that could be the case. But neither side has been willing to say that, so far. They just claim to be all about free speech, but then describe their political foes as somehow not being the kind of speech that’s free.
Agreed
0 x