War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Re: War in Gaza

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:19 pm
GaryK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:01 pm Then I can't understand why you you wrote those 5 points.
I think I explained that:
All of this, I think, draws away from any prayer, compassion, or questions of how to help. Posts that do that are quickly drowned out. I don't think every Christian is called to be involved in every tragedy, but on MN, I generally feel we are not good at doing these things for any tragedy that does not involve Mennonites. Worse, we wind up discussing almost every tragedy, but not out of compassion for the victims.

I think this is related to what Ohio Jones calls virtue signaling. Often, we wind up echoing what "our side" believes about things, not focusing on victims or what our role might be as Christians. In general, the way to get past performative opinion is to call for compassionate prayer or to seek ways to help. To ask what God is asking of us.
This again seems to be assuming a lot about the things people post. You seem to be suggesting that what people write on MN causes them not to pray like they should, have compassion like they should or help as they should. That seems a lot like judging their inner being or ascribing motive.
2 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:30 pm
GaryK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:01 pm Then I can't understand why you you wrote those 5 points.
All of this, I think, draws away from any prayer, compassion, or questions of how to help. Posts that do that are quickly drowned out. I don't think every Christian is called to be involved in every tragedy, but on MN, I generally feel we are not good at doing these things for any tragedy that does not involve Mennonites. Worse, we wind up discussing almost every tragedy, but not out of compassion for the victims.

I think this is related to what Ohio Jones calls virtue signaling. Often, we wind up echoing what "our side" believes about things, not focusing on victims or what our role might be as Christians. In general, the way to get past performative opinion is to call for compassionate prayer or to seek ways to help. To ask what God is asking of us.
This again seems to be assuming a lot about the things people post. You seem to be suggesting that what people write on MN causes them not to pray like they should, have compassion like they should or help as they should. That seems a lot like judging their inner being or ascribing motive.
It doesn't assume anything in particular about the PEOPLE who post, but it does point out something about the posts themselves. We do not have a lot of threads that encourage people to pray, have compassion, or help. We don't have a lot of threads that explore our place as Christians and how we should be acting.

Would you like to help this thread do that?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Perhaps we should fast for the disreputable on Mennonet.
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:20 pm
GaryK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:30 pm

It doesn't assume anything in particular about the PEOPLE who post, but it does point out something about the posts themselves.
Of course it assumes something in particular about the people who post. Posts can't pray, people do. To suggest that one can separate the posts from the people who write them seems like an exercise in futility.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:22 pm Of course it assumes something in particular about the people who post. Posts can't pray, people do. To suggest that one can separate the posts from the people who write them seems like an exercise in futility.
I'm less willing than you are to judge other people's hearts.

But I think it's easy to ask if posts encourage people to pray, have compassion, and help. If posts encourage us to act as Christians or just take sides in someone else's fight. If posts seek common ground or seem to prolong a fight. I'm not sure people always intend their posts to have the effect that they do.

Any thoughts on how we can encourage people to pray, have compassion, and help? I have been asking that kind of question repeatedly. How are you responding to it in your posts? Why?
0 x
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:33 pm
GaryK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:22 pm Of course it assumes something in particular about the people who post. Posts can't pray, people do. To suggest that one can separate the posts from the people who write them seems like an exercise in futility.
I'm less willing than you are to judge other people's hearts.

But I think it's easy to ask if posts encourage people to pray, have compassion, and help. If posts encourage us to act as Christians or just take sides in someone else's fight. If posts seek common ground or seem to prolong a fight. I'm not sure people always intend their posts to have the effect that they do.

Any thoughts on how we can encourage people to pray, have compassion, and help? I have been asking that kind of question repeatedly. How are you responding to it in your posts? Why?
Do you know that the people who post things that you find off-putting, don't pray for the people of Gaza, don't have compassion for them and don't seek to help where they can? The 5 points you listed make it clear that you don't think they (the people who post them) do, as they should.

You say you aren't sure people always intend their posts to have the effect that they do. The posts that you seemed to have taken exception to didn't have the same effect on me that they did on you. And yet I have a lot of compassion for victims of war. I saw first hand what war does during our time in Liberia. You seem to be implying that the effect those posts had on you is somehow the effect it should have on all Christians, and that if they don't affect other Christians the same way, something must be lacking in their Christian experience.

As it relates to how we can encourage people to pray, have compassion, and help. First off, I don't assume other Christians on MN aren't doing these things based on what they post. There is a prayer request thread somewhere on MN where a simple message encouraging everyone to do these things might be a good approach.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:06 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:33 pmAny thoughts on how we can encourage people to pray, have compassion, and help? I have been asking that kind of question repeatedly. How are you responding to it in your posts? Why?
Do you know that the people who post things that you find off-putting, don't pray for the people of Gaza, don't have compassion for them and don't seek to help where they can? The 5 points you listed make it clear that you don't think they (the people who post them) do, as they should.
No, I'm really not being coy, Gary. I do want to encourage people to do what is right. I'm not trying to judge their hearts. I don't claim to know who prays and who does not. Fascinating that you think you know my inner thoughts so well, but don't seem to get it right - and then want to argue with me about what I'm thinking as though you know better than I do! I suspect that's par for the course. I doubt I would do any better if I tried to judge your inner thoughts. Perhaps the Bible has a few things to say about that?

But if you want everyone to know your compassion and concern for the people of Gaza, I think talking about those things in this thread would be a great way to make that obvious to everyone. Clearly, openly demonstrating the way Christians should respond to these kinds of situations, showing the concern and compassion of Jesus.
0 x
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:48 pm
But if you want everyone to know your compassion and concern for the people of Gaza, I think talking about those things in this thread would be a great way to make that obvious to everyone. Clearly, openly demonstrating the way Christians should respond to these kinds of situations, showing the concern and compassion of Jesus.
Why is it important to you that I talk about my compassion and concern for the people of Gaza on MN?

Why is it important for me to make that obvious to everyone?

If I choose not to talk about wars on MN that are constantly being talked about in mainstream media and which have become points of political tension and division, what does that say about me?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:33 pm
Any time corporate prayer requests are made at work, I mention the Israel Gaza issue. I do not pray here because this is not an easy setting to pray.

I also have compassion for the homeless around me, but I do not give them money. I think this actually hurts them more than helps. God is trying to motivate them out of the drug and alcohol addictions and if I give money, it is actually working against what God is doing.

I have an opinion about what happened in Israel Oct. 7. I think there are natural consequences to actions. I do not like that there are, but it is a fact of nature. Countries fight and war often. I disagree with any country that does it, but I know it is a natural consequence to actions. I know Israel is not angel in all this. I know Palestinians are no angels in all this. I know Hamas is evil in all this.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

GaryK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:25 pm
If I choose not to talk about wars on MN that are constantly being talked about in mainstream media and which have become points of political tension and division, what does that say about me?
It says you are smarter than I am. 8-)
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.