War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: War in Gaza

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:44 pm
Ken wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:28 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:13 pm
Why does Hamas oppose the pier so much that they will launch rockets at its construction workers?
Do you have the actual quote?

I I had to venture a guess, I would expect it is that Hamas wants NO foreign militaries of any kind on Gaza soil. And that it isn't the aid they are objecting to, it is foreign troops.
PIER FOR U.S.-LED PROJECT TO BRING AID TO GAZA COMES UNDER FIRE
JERUSALEM — An under-construction pier for a U.S.-led project to bring aid into the Gaza Strip came under fire Wednesday, forcing U.N. officials to take shelter there, Israeli and U.N. officials said.

No militant group immediately claimed responsibility for the assault, which the Israelis described as a mortar shell attack.

Authorities said that no one was wounded.

The attack marks a shaky start to the construction of the pier, a project that the U.S. is spearheading to surge humanitarian aid into Gaza. A Hamas official told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the militant group will resist any foreign military presence involved with the port project.
I suspect you may be right, but I think it's relevant in light of what seems almost a rosy view of Hamas among some people who act like Hamas isn't resisting anything that might provide humanitarian relief to the people.
Who outside of college campuses has a rosy view of Hamas? They are the ones who rejected the last several ceasefire proposals out of the UN and appear to be the obstacle to a new ceasefire.

The most realistic view in my opinion is that both sides are equally at fault for this nearly 90-year long conflict. And neither side really wants any sort of permanent peace arising out of a negotiated settlement that requires compromise from both sides.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ernie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:13 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:04 am Hamas told the AP that they would resist any foreign military that assists in setting up a temporary pier to facilitate shipping aid into the country.
Why does Hamas oppose the pier so much that they will launch rockets at its construction workers?
When the name of your game is terror, destruction, and despair then things like humanitarian aid are not desirable.
I suspect Hamas thinks the famine and poverty in Gaza works to their advantage as long as they can use it to channel anger against Israel on both the local and international scene. They probably have more to gain by disrupting any attempts (Israeli or international) at humanitarian aid than by encouraging it.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I have yet to read or see anything sympathetic to Hamas, other than unfounded allegations in right wing click bait. I really do wonder where these outlets get their fake news.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

A little guerrilla humor in the midst of Gaza protests

1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Has there ever been a war in which a major country has supplied military aid to a country that is going after a common enemy (and destroying a lot of infrastructure and many civilians in the process), while at the same time offering aid to surviving civilians of that state? (on a scale like we currently see in Gaza)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:22 pm Has there ever been a war in which a major country has supplied military aid to a country that is going after a common enemy (and destroying a lot of infrastructure and many civilians in the process), while at the same time offering aid to surviving civilians of that state? (on a scale like we currently see in Gaza)
Every single other Israeli-Palestinian war
Guatemalan Civil War
Colombian Civil War
El Salvador Civil War
Korean War
Vietnam War
Ethiopian Civil Wars
Yemen Civil War
Afghan Civil War
East Timor
etc.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:22 pm Has there ever been a war in which a major country has supplied military aid to a country that is going after a common enemy (and destroying a lot of infrastructure and many civilians in the process), while at the same time offering aid to surviving civilians of that state? (on a scale like we currently see in Gaza)
America loves doing that. Iraq, Afghanistan. “Hearts and minds.”
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

P.278 / Ukraine
temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:51 pm
mike wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 pm So at this point, what is everybody's best guesses as to how the conflict will end? I can't really wrap my mind around the mess.
No one knows. The U.S. has become sysnonymous with protracted “military conflicts” that end in shambles.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

RZehr wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:06 am
America loves doing that. Iraq, Afghanistan. “Hearts and minds.”
It is called the Three Block something or other. The first block is the fighting, The next block is the securing the infrastructure and the third block is humanitarian, if I am remembering it right. The US military used this in all the recent conflicts.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.