War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: War in Gaza

Post by Ernie »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:31 am
Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:29 am From a strategic viewpoint, I think it would have been better, originally, for Israel to tell Gazans that if they support Hamas and other militants, they should move to the north, and if not, to move to the south. And then put pressure on the people in the south to get the militants to move north.

People would have still been killed, but I think not as many innocent people, and innocent Gazans could have had a better existence the last 6 months.
The militants would have moved south then.
Some did move south. But I don't think the average Gazan understood how important it was for them to separate themselves from the militants. And they didn't have the resources to do so in a short amount of time.

The point I am trying to make is that I think fewer casualties would have taken place had Israel not been in such a hurry to destroy Hamas.
Last edited by Ernie on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:29 am From a strategic viewpoint, I think it would have been better, originally, for Israel to tell Gazans that if they support Hamas and other militants, they should move to the north, and if not, to move to the south. And then put pressure on the people in the south to get the militants to move north.

People would have still been killed, but I think not as many innocent people, and innocent Gazans could have had a better existence the last 6 months.
What sway do you actually think ordinary civilians have over a highly organized, funded, and supplied terrorist army that has been building a honeycomb of tunnels and fortifications throughout Gaza?

You think they are just going to pack up and move north because some Palestinian mothers ask them to?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:31 am
Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:31 am

The militants would have moved south then.
Some did move south. But I don't think the average Gazan understood how important it was for them to separate themselves from the militants. And they didn't have the resources to do so in a short amount of time.
I think you are off-base making assumptions about what the average Gazan understands and doesn't understand. It seems to me that what the average Gazan acutely understands is that there is no place anywhere in Gaza that is safe. The Israelis have been completely indiscriminate in their bombing and attacks on Gaza. Completely indiscriminate. They have been bombing targets in southern Gaza since day 1. They have even bombed aid convoys that were identified in advance as such. The only thing they haven't done yet is a ground invasion into Rafah.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:32 am You think they are just going to pack up and move north because some Palestinian mothers ask them to?
I think there could have been more separation between the militants and non-militants. Israel would have had the capability of setting up a tent cities with check points into the cities if they wanted to. But they didn't want to. They would rather go in full bore and lose 263 soldiers. (this in response to them not securing their border with Gaza.)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:36 am
Ken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:32 am You think they are just going to pack up and move north because some Palestinian mothers ask them to?
I think there could have been more separation between the militants and non-militants.
If the militants deliberately defy the separation and infiltrate the non-militants (which has been their strategy), then we are just back where we started. And wouldn't self-identifying as a militant be painting a target on your back?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 am
Robert wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:49 am What happened to the US dock they were going to build to bring in all the aid needed?
US says a UN agency has agreed to help in distribution of aid to Gaza via sea route
https://apnews.com/article/gaza-israel- ... 4fd542a475

^^i saw something recently specific to use of the dock, i’ll add if i see it again.
Robert wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 pm This is not just one person. I have heard several stories like this. This is sick and hate filled.

[media]https:
yes. it is.

Apr 25 2024 / “U.S. Begins Construction on Temporary Pier to Deliver Humanitarian Aid to Gaza
https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stori ... d-to-gaza/
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 am
I think there could have been more separation between the militants and non-militants.
If the militants deliberately defy the separation and infiltrate the non-militants (which has been their strategy), then we are just back where we started. And wouldn't self-identifying as a militant be painting a target on your back?
Guerilla warfare 101 is for combatants to blend in with the population. Whether you are talking about the Apache, Viet Cong, or French Resistance during WW2.

Hamas is not going to make the Israeli army's job easier by lining up in the open to engage in combat like 18th century armies. Just like Israel isn't going to stop using airplanes simply because Hamas doesn't have any of their own. War is always asymmetric. and neither Hamas nor Israel seems very interested in following international standards for the conduct of warfare.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 am defy the separation and infiltrate .. (which has been their strategy), then we are just back where we started. ..

To Christian and Western thinking, the strategy is diabolical, possibly impossible to understand. No sanctity of life.

The sophisticated, developed PLAN, not an accident, or unintended consequences, was to “poke the bear” (Israel) to invite retaliation that would surely cost civilians, including women+children.

As bad as it is, Israel hasn’t unleashed unrestrained passions of revenge. (i believe this because i listen to both sides.)
Neither side is Christian, i don’t expect nonresistant or pacifist Christian response.

(i believe) in the past, Israel has been so committed to recovering hostages, they are willing to “lose more numbers” than numbers recovered. They don’t use that sort of math. They want return of hostages. Even at high cost to themselves.

When TERRORISTS do not value their own lives or the lives of their own people, which is a hallmark of terrorism, there are no limits about what they’re willing to do. Even obama remarked on this years ago.

i realize few are listening to Israel now, but, they have a valid side, and they make a strong case for themselves wrt how they treat others, in Israel and elsewhere. Including Palestinians.

All this rests on Hamas. It was intentional, no accident. They are not sorry.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

i realize few are listening to Israel now, but, they have a valid side, and they make a strong case for themselves wrt how they treat others, in Israel and elsewhere. Including Palestinians.
Can you explain the "strong case" for bombing a convoy of Danish cooks trying to distribute meals to hungry children?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 am
You might be right.

At the least, Israel could separate the women (any who want to be separated) and children from the men and create a humanitarian zone. The men could then make their case to Israel as to why they are not a threat and should be allowed in a humanitarian zone.
0 x