War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: War in Gaza

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:53 pm
ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 am
Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:36 am
I think there could have been more separation between the militants and non-militants.
If the militants deliberately defy the separation and infiltrate the non-militants (which has been their strategy), then we are just back where we started. And wouldn't self-identifying as a militant be painting a target on your back?
You might be right.

At the least, Israel could separate the women (any who want to be separated) and children from the men and create a humanitarian zone. The men could then make their case to Israel as to why they are not a threat and should be allowed in a humanitarian zone.
And the women fighters get to mix with the other women and children???

I would expect that Hamas would very quickly "make an example" of a few civilians who they suspect wish to move to the humanitarian zone, after which no-one will dare to attempt the move.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:25 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:53 pm
ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 am
If the militants deliberately defy the separation and infiltrate the non-militants (which has been their strategy), then we are just back where we started. And wouldn't self-identifying as a militant be painting a target on your back?
You might be right.

At the least, Israel could separate the women (any who want to be separated) and children from the men and create a humanitarian zone. The men could then make their case to Israel as to why they are not a threat and should be allowed in a humanitarian zone.
And the women fighters get to mix with the other women and children???

I would expect that Hamas would very quickly "make an example" of a few civilians who they suspect wish to move to the humanitarian zone, after which no-one will dare to attempt the move.
I'm sure it would not be a perfect solution, and it would all be very messy, but I am musing about ways it could maybe be different than what it is.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:53 pmAs bad as it is, Israel hasn’t unleashed unrestrained passions of revenge. (i believe this because i listen to both sides.)
Neither side is Christian, i don’t expect nonresistant or pacifist Christian response.
Are you sure about that? Let's check what the actual leaders of the Israeli government had to say:
On October 9th, two days after the Hamas attack on Israel, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant announced “a complete siege on the Gaza Strip. There will be no electricity, no food, no fuel, everything is closed.” He added, “We are fighting human animals, and we are acting accordingly.”
Major General Ghassan Alian, who heads the office of Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, said, “Human animals must be treated as such. There will be no electricity and no water, there will only be destruction. You wanted hell, you will get hell.”
Energy minister, Israel Katz, pledged to deprive Gaza of power and water. “Humanitarian aid to Gaza? No electrical switch will be turned on, no water hydrant will be opened, and no fuel truck will enter until the Israeli abductees are returned home.”
What they are all talking about is collective punishment of civilian populations. Which is a prima facia war crime.

Source: https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-colu ... tional-law
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Hamas told the AP that they would resist any foreign military that assists in setting up a temporary pier to facilitate shipping aid into the country.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:04 am Hamas told the AP that they would resist any foreign military that assists in setting up a temporary pier to facilitate shipping aid into the country.
Why does Hamas oppose the pier so much that they will launch rockets at its construction workers?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Hamas didn’t stop being a terrorist organization when Israel counter-attacked.

As much as i would like to see a permanent cease fire in Gaza, and everywhere, how could Hamas be trusted to abide by it?
The definition of terrorism is breaking all rules at all costs. The goal is to do as much damage as possible at any cost.

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:13 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:04 am Hamas told the AP that they would resist any foreign military that assists in setting up a temporary pier to facilitate shipping aid into the country.
Why does Hamas oppose the pier so much that they will launch rockets at its construction workers?
Do you have the actual quote?

I I had to venture a guess, I would expect it is that Hamas wants NO foreign militaries of any kind on Gaza soil. And that it isn't the aid they are objecting to, it is foreign troops.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:28 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:13 pm
Do you have the actual quote?

I I had to venture a guess, I would expect it is that Hamas wants NO foreign militaries of any kind on Gaza soil. And that it isn't the aid they are objecting to, it is foreign troops.
PIER FOR U.S.-LED PROJECT TO BRING AID TO GAZA COMES UNDER FIRE
JERUSALEM — An under-construction pier for a U.S.-led project to bring aid into the Gaza Strip came under fire Wednesday, forcing U.N. officials to take shelter there, Israeli and U.N. officials said.

No militant group immediately claimed responsibility for the assault, which the Israelis described as a mortar shell attack.

Authorities said that no one was wounded.

The attack marks a shaky start to the construction of the pier, a project that the U.S. is spearheading to surge humanitarian aid into Gaza. A Hamas official told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the militant group will resist any foreign military presence involved with the port project.
I suspect you may be right, but I think it's relevant in light of what seems almost a rosy view of Hamas among some people who act like Hamas isn't resisting anything that might provide humanitarian relief to the people.
1 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I wonder how much internal discipline Hamas still has.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MN has its own terrorist-whisperer. :roll:

Hamas Terrorist Explains Complex, Nuanced Goals In Palestinian Conflict / -5min
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN