Cultural Separation from Parents

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Cultural Separation from Parents

Post by Neto »

In a way, there is "cultural separation between children and parents" every generation. I saw that even in the remote Amazonian Indian tribe with whom we lived for 17 years. Of course, we were part of the cause for that. Everyone there who is 40 or less has no memory of life in that village the way it was before there was an airstrip there. Go back another 45 years or so, and there was no outside contact with anyone at all.

What I actually stopped in on this thread to say was about cultural separation between missionaries and their children due to sending them to boarding schools. WBT allowed the parents to decide, but it was mandatory in some other mission agencies, even during the same time period in which we were in service. (It may still be that way - I haven't kept up with it.) Some Brazilian missionaries put they children in our (English speaking) mission school. Most of the students were children of citizens of either the US or Canada, so the education was heavily tilted in that direction. The result was that these Brazilian kids became culturally Americans, but they didn't even have any legal rights to enter the country. And this took place with these students still living with their own parents. Well, actually, they were "third culture kids", much like our own children, who have very strong affinity for Brazil - the culture, the food, futebol, etc.
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:11 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:57 pm
RZehr wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:47 pm
How do you know which of these are boys and which are girls?
Isn’t it verboten to make these assumptions these days? :)
No, it isn't verboten. You have to list the gender of your student when you register and enroll them for school.

Sex is listed on the electronic class record system where you do attendance and grades. So you can click on a student's name in the electronic gradebook and it brings up their whole profile which lists parents names, address ,phone numbers, previous schools, counselor's name, languages spoken at home, race/ethnicity, birth date, student ID, locker number, any medical or security alerts, and Gender.

And for 99% of students it is pretty obvious anyway.

But if the student is truly trans then the school may change the listed gender on the school record and even on the birth certificate. And honestly they just put down whatever the parent puts on the form when they register that student for school. School administrations are not in the business of conducting chromosome inspections to verify the listed gender of their students. Just like schools don't do genetic profiles to verify the race/ethnicity that parents list when they register students.
I see. I didn’t know that teachers and schools knew the gender at the beginning of the year. Why is that required?
If they require it at the beginning of the year, isn’t it something that must be of some import?
You are assigned to PE classes (and locker rooms) based on gender.

Schools and the government also simply collects a lot of data based on gender as well as other characteristics like race, ethnicity, nationality, language, etc.

So, for example, we can know that girls score 4 points higher on standardized reading tests while boys score 4 points higher on standardized math tests. Or that boys drop out at a 10% higher rate than girls. Or that 60% of special ed students are boys and 40% are girls.* Or that more boys are autistic than girls. That sort of thing. We do endless educational data collection based on gender just like we do for other categories like race and ethnicity and socioeconomic status.

That is why schools collect such information when students are registered. They have to report it to the government in various forms.

*I'm just making up those statistics to illustrate the point. But we do see gender differences in all of those areas.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ken

Post by Ken »

Neto wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:41 pm In a way, there is "cultural separation between children and parents" every generation. I saw that even in the remote Amazonian Indian tribe with whom we lived for 17 years. Of course, we were part of the cause for that. Everyone there who is 40 or less has no memory of life in that village the way it was before there was an airstrip there. Go back another 45 years or so, and there was no outside contact with anyone at all.

What I actually stopped in on this thread to say was about cultural separation between missionaries and their children due to sending them to boarding schools. WBT allowed the parents to decide, but it was mandatory in some other mission agencies, even during the same time period in which we were in service. (It may still be that way - I haven't kept up with it.) Some Brazilian missionaries put they children in our (English speaking) mission school. Most of the students were children of citizens of either the US or Canada, so the education was heavily tilted in that direction. The result was that these Brazilian kids became culturally Americans, but they didn't even have any legal rights to enter the country. And this took place with these students still living with their own parents. Well, actually, they were "third culture kids", much like our own children, who have very strong affinity for Brazil - the culture, the food, futebol, etc.
The entire process of growing up is learning to be separated from your family. First for short periods of time, then longer and longer until you are finally a functioning independent adult. It has been that way since the dawn of time. If anything we have stretched out that process much more today than we used to in centuries past.

Missionary schools are kind of an odd thing. Most larger cities around the world have international schools of various sorts where business expats send their kids. So there is an American school, a German school, and a British school in Santiago Chile. Some local elites send their kids to those schools as well, but it is mostly expat kids. They mostly live at home though and boarding isn't so common. And often through host families and not dorms these days.

I'm guessing that these days, home schooling is more common in missionary circles, although I don't know for sure. But since it has gotten more common stateside, I would think that trend would spill over to mission work as well. Especially in this day and age of internet and so many online learning options.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The entire process of growing up is not changing your name to the opposite sex and hiding it from your parents.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:57 pm But if the student is truly trans then the school may change the listed gender on the school record and even on the birth certificate.
If schools are actually changing birth certificates, that's going way too far.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:25 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:57 pm But if the student is truly trans then the school may change the listed gender on the school record and even on the birth certificate.
I didn't mean to say that schools are changing birth certificates. They aren't. I meant to say that parents of truly trans kids are changing their birth certificates and also reporting a different gender on school records. School registration is often electronic these days. No one is really vetting the information you put down for your kid. If you put down she is Hispanic because one grandparent came from Cuba even though the child is blue eyed and blond hair and doesn't speak a word of Spanish but maybe has the last name of Garcia. Fine, no one cares or argues. If your child is one-quarter Thai, one-quarter Chinese, one-quarter Caucasian, one-eighth African-American and one-eighth Native American and you put down that he is Black or African American on the school registration then fine, no one blinks an eye or notices. And in that case congratulations, you are the parent of Tiger Woods. And if you have a trans child who's birth certificate says female and who presents as female and you register her as female, again, no one normally notices or makes an issue of it. Most especially if the child easily passes. If the child has a more ambiguous appearance then there might be more paperwork involved.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

.. The entire process of growing up is learning to be separated from your family. ..
^^ No.
This is a contemporary western secular perspective. Not universal.

Families Across Cultures; A 30-Nation Psychological Study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2247450/

Different Family Cultures Around The World
https://thefamilynation.com/different-family-cultures

Individualism versus Family Oriented Culture
https://sites.psu.edu/canizalespassion/ ... d-culture/

OP:
GaryK wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:39 pm I thought I'd move this to another thread to keep from sidetracking that thread.
Szdfan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:48 am :evil:
The issue isn't that these students received a Catholic education. The issue is that in many cases, education was coerced and children were separated from their parents with the intention of weakening family bonds so that the children could be acculturated. That's what makes this cultural genocide.
The question this raised in mind is, how is this different than what is happening in some school districts today where
gender indoctrination is being coerced on children and in some cases without parental consent?
Astute observation.
Not at all limited to gender indoctrination - however, it may prove to be (at last) “the straw that breaks the camel’s back.”

Our son was in college about 20 years ago. To my memory, gender indoctrination wasn’t on the public radar.
Plenty being “coerced” though. Plenty of division, acculturation, weakening family bonds, cultural genocide, and, specifically damaging to Christian faith.

Unfortunately, too many confuse these awful things with, “you’re growing up!” Widespread confusion+sadness follows.
Drug abuse, high suicide rates, high crime rates, high divorce rates, fatherless children, homelessness .. wow. impressive results.
Last edited by temporal1 on Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ken wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:12 pm
I didn't mean to say that schools are changing birth certificates. They aren't. I meant to say that parents of truly trans kids are changing their birth certificates and also reporting a different gender on school records. School registration is often electronic these days. No one is really vetting the information you put down for your kid. If you put down she is Hispanic because one grandparent came from Cuba even though the child is blue eyed and blond hair and doesn't speak a word of Spanish but maybe has the last name of Garcia. Fine, no one cares or argues. If your child is one-quarter Thai, one-quarter Chinese, one-quarter Caucasian, one-eighth African-American and one-eighth Native American and you put down that he is Black or African American on the school registration then fine, no one blinks an eye or notices. And in that case congratulations, you are the parent of Tiger Woods. And if you have a trans child who's birth certificate says female and who presents as female and you register her as female, again, no one normally notices or makes an issue of it. Most especially if the child easily passes. If the child has a more ambiguous appearance then there might be more paperwork involved.
In Oklahoma at least, the deal about being 1/8 Indian is certainly a big deal, because that entitles you to a free education at the state colleges. (And there are some documents that are required. It must be shown that at least one grandparent is/was registered with a tribal authority as being full-blood Indian. At least it was like that when I was in public HS. You mention a blond blue-eyed person as an example. I had a classmate who had reddish blond hair, and she very light complected with freckles even, but she was 1/8th Cherokee, so her college was free. A family in our congregation where the father was Plautdietsch and the mother was Cherokee, two of their children had very Indian features, and the other two looked about like any other Plautdietsch kids in the church. Can't always tell.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Neto wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:28 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:12 pm
In Oklahoma at least, the deal about being 1/8 Indian is certainly a big deal, because that entitles you to a free education at the state colleges. (And there are some documents that are required. It must be shown that at least one grandparent is/was registered with a tribal authority as being full-blood Indian. At least it was like that when I was in public HS. You mention a blond blue-eyed person as an example. I had a classmate who had reddish blond hair, and she very light complected with freckles even, but she was 1/8th Cherokee, so her college was free. A family in our congregation where the father was Plautdietsch and the mother was Cherokee, two of their children had very Indian features, and the other two looked about like any other Plautdietsch kids in the church. Can't always tell.)
I think Oklahoma is different. Here in WA there are various scholarships for Native Americans. But the ones I am aware of are mostly administered through the tribes themselves (you apply through the tribal governments) and so it is up to them to decide if you qualify or not. They don't look at genetics but ties to the tribal community.

But the Hispanic thing can be tricky. My wife is Chilean and 100% Hispanic. She grew up going to Catholic schools and universities in Chile. But she is from the upper classes and so of mixed Basque, Catalan, and German ancestry and her whole extended family would look indistinguishably white here in the US. Some are blonde even. Our three daughters are dual citizens so they have Chilean passports and Chilean birth certificates and Hispanic names (their Chilean birth certificates list both father and mother's last names so they have four names in Chile) and they have all spent lots of time in Chile and speak Spanish. One was born in Santiago, one was born in Texas, and one was born in Alaska. They also look like like All-American blonde blue eyed girls that no one would ever think to label Hispanic.

Are they Hispanic? My wife listed them as Hispanic on their medical records and her Mexican-American nurse (she works in a Spanish-speaking clinic) looked at that and laughed and said "GIRL...your kids aren't Hispanic. They could not be more white!"
2 x
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Post by Falco Knotwise »

"Forcible transfer of children to other groups" became defined as "cultural genocide" in Canada in 2009.

So compulsory school legislation for any minority tribes can now be called "cultural genocide" by the neomarxists who first pushed for the term to be included as well as for those who fall under their influence.

Here's my working theory what happened.

Neomarxists had been looking into this and describing the residential school system to the people as cultural genocide for at least a decade before 2009, writing books and putting it into community members' heads that they had been victims of "cultural genocide" for years. Then, when they get enough of them convinced and talking at group therapy sessions of some sort they tell them that as victims of "cultural genocide" they are deserving of monetary compensation by the government for their suffering, and then they begin to take down the "testimonies" of the victims and write this down as official "documentation" of complaints that were brought to them totally independently of their own influence.

After a while the fiction becomes so real to community members that they become convinced that in fact it was not just "cultural genocide" but a real genocide, and that bodies must surely have been buried beneath the school buildings. The neomarxist
brainwashers themselves believe their own delusions and start looking for "anomalies" beneath the soil to prove there was a real genocide and when they find any anomalies whatever they instantly announce they have found the bodies of murdered children.

But, of course, there are no buried bodies anywhere. The physical genocide is just as imaginary as the cultural genocide.

A later, saner, society will surely view this as one of the weirdest cases of mass delusion in human history and take it as a cautionary tale.

"Cultural genocide" is another neomarxist neologism like transgender, agender, nongender, etc...

It exists in the imaginations of the believers so how can you deny it, how can you deny their "lived experience?"
0 x