Autumn leaves & teacher strikes

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Autumn leaves & teacher strikes

Post by temporal1 »

🍁 Autumn leaves & teacher strikes 🍁

CBS KOIN 6 / ‘Our kids need to go to school’: Southwest Washington teachers prepare to strike
https://www.koin.com/news/education/cam ... -contract/
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – Many students in the area are less than a week out from the first day of school, but 30,000 students in Washington’s Clark County may be home even longer.

The union representing Vancouver’s Evergreen Public Schools educators voted last night to authorize a strike if an agreement for better classroom support isn’t met – and Camas teachers are preparing for the same.

Those with the Camas Education Association spent most of Thursday bargaining a contract with the district, coming down to the wire before the district’s first day of school starts Monday. Without an agreement, 450 educators within the district could instead spend that day on the picket line. ..

A thread to note teachers’ strikes - - no matter location.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Autumn leaves & teacher strikes

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:49 pm 🍁 Autumn leaves & teacher strikes 🍁

CBS KOIN 6 / ‘Our kids need to go to school’: Southwest Washington teachers prepare to strike
https://www.koin.com/news/education/cam ... -contract/
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – Many students in the area are less than a week out from the first day of school, but 30,000 students in Washington’s Clark County may be home even longer.

The union representing Vancouver’s Evergreen Public Schools educators voted last night to authorize a strike if an agreement for better classroom support isn’t met – and Camas teachers are preparing for the same.

Those with the Camas Education Association spent most of Thursday bargaining a contract with the district, coming down to the wire before the district’s first day of school starts Monday. Without an agreement, 450 educators within the district could instead spend that day on the picket line. ..

A thread to note teachers’ strikes - - no matter location.
I teach in that district but I’m not in the union so I’m not privy to the minute to minute stuff.

And my daughter is in HS in the other district. She’s on the school newspaper and so has been interviewing teachers and taking photos of them making signs and such.

But I think a strike is very unlikely. It is the typical game of chicken that both sides do to show they are serious before they cut a deal. The issues of difference at this point are pretty minor and they don’t strike me as the sort of thing you actually strike over. So I expect they will cut some compromise deal at the last minute and call it good. I don’t really sense much energy for a strike this year and there isn’t really much to strike over anyway.

But I could be wrong. I guess we will find out next week on August 30 which is the scheduled first day of school.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Our local teacher union met this week. I had a prior commitment and wasn't able to make it. I found out today that I'm the new treasurer / secretary. :shock:

Our union isn't super active but has a good relationship with the administration. We were recently part of the conversation with the district on improving health benefits for staff by changing insurance companies. Super crazy stuff like that.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken

Post by Ken »

Szdfan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:18 am Our local teacher union met this week. I had a prior commitment and wasn't able to make it. I found out today that I'm the new treasurer / secretary. :shock:

Our union isn't super active but has a good relationship with the administration. We were recently part of the conversation with the district on improving health benefits for staff by changing insurance companies. Super crazy stuff like that.
Back when I was in the union at a different district it was mostly just healthcare benefits that they were endlessly focused on which I completely ignored since we got our family health plan through my wife's employer.

That and some endless fussing about afternoon duty hours (how long you have to stay after school for tutorials and such) which were a big deal to the young teachers with little kids in school who needed to get home for them, but something I didn't care about either. The district wanted to expand after school duty hours for more tutoring, test prep, etc. Lots of young teachers were upset because their little kids would be getting home on the bus with no one to meet them.

No one wanted to be the union building rep because that meant you had to go to evening district meetings, school board meetings, etc. and who wants that? So they had to strong-arm and beg teachers into doing it.

Relations with the district were pretty congenial as far as I could tell as well. I think the more adversarial situations are when politics gets deeply involved in school management such as in Chicago where the mayor closed something like 50 schools in 2013 without much conversation with teachers or the community.

Biggest differences between teaching in Texas where there are no unions (or at least no collective bargaining) and Washington where there are?

1. Salary and benefits are a bit better in Washington
2. The working conditions are more stable and predictable. The district can't just change around work rules without first negotiating them with the union. A lot of this is kind of invisible like how teacher evaluations are conducted and half-baked consultant-driven ideas like pay for performance which is nearly impossible to do in most school settings.

Otherwise there frankly isn't that much difference. It is still pretty much the same job.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:18 am Our local teacher union met this week. I had a prior commitment and wasn't able to make it. I found out today that I'm the new treasurer / secretary. :shock:

Back in the day, Mennonites wouldn't be part of a labour union due to their association with coercion and violence.
2 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:05 amBiggest differences between teaching in Texas where there are no unions (or at least no collective bargaining) and Washington where there are?

1. Salary and benefits are a bit better in Washington
In other words, a worse deal with parents, students, and taxpayers.
2. The working conditions are more stable and predictable. The district can't just change around work rules without first negotiating them with the union. A lot of this is kind of invisible like how teacher evaluations are conducted and half-baked consultant-driven ideas like pay for performance which is nearly impossible to do in most school settings.

Otherwise there frankly isn't that much difference. It is still pretty much the same job.
"Pay for performance" is certainly possible. The teachers' unions simply don't want it (what kind of employee group would)? Again, the parents, students, and taxpayers get to lose, because poorly-performing teachers stick around and get paid full rate.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:07 pmIn other words, a worse deal with parents, students, and taxpayers.
I recall you coming here and complaining that working people cannot earn living wages and support families in this country. The minimum starting teacher salary in Texas is $33,660 https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educators/s ... y-schedule some wealthier districts pay more but many do not. Would you consider that to be a living wage that one can support a family with in Texas? Texas school districts also do not pay into social security and the meager pension is not portable so unless you teach for 40 straight years in Texas your retirement will be worse than had you simply paid into social security.

What it means is that there are huge teacher shortages in Texas, especially in poorer rural areas. Because young college-educated teachers can make more money doing virtually anything else. Is that a good deal for parent, students, and taxpayers?
Josh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:07 pm"Pay for performance" is certainly possible. The teachers' unions simply don't want it (what kind of employee group would)? Again, the parents, students, and taxpayers get to lose, because poorly-performing teachers stick around and get paid full rate.
There are no teacher unions in Texas. A school I taught at in Texas in 2010 tried to implement it. The question is, how do you measure performance? Based on what? Test scores? Most subjects aren't tested in any standardized way, and also don't have standardized formative assessments to determine what students know when they enter your class. So there is no way to tell if you are testing learning or innate intelligence.

I was one of 3 physics teachers at that HS that year. Catherine across the hall from me taught mostly remedial and special ed students with smaller class sizes at a much slower pace. She had kids on her roster who were in juvenile detention for months at a time (but for which she was still the teacher of record), she had kids who would sporadically drop in and out, kids who had exceedingly low math and reading skills, and so forth. Kids with extreme behavioral problems, etc. I taught large mainstream regular physics classes to an ordinary mix of kids from below average to super-smart college bound kids with 4 other AP classes but who just weren't very into science. The department chair Wes, down the hall taught smaller elite classes of AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Physics C, and pre-AP Physics to very bright studious kids, many of whom were bound for Ivy League type schools and STEM And tech careers.

How do you rank and measure performance between the three physics teachers at that school? There is no state standardized physics test, just the standardized 10th and 11th grade science tests which only have physics at about an 8th grade level on them. The only one that counted towards graduation was the 11th grade one so lots of students just blew off the 10th grade one. Our student test scores distributed in the entirely predictable fashion with Catherine's students barely passing or failing. Mine almost entirely passing, and many of Wes' students getting perfect scores, but most of them could have passed it in their sleep before they even took his class.

So how do you distribute performance pay among the three physics teachers in that school? What happens is that the administrators who only have time to stop into your classroom a couple times a year anyway, are forced to do a giant amount of additional rating paperwork which ends up rating everyone equally and the whole thing is a giant waste of time. Because they have absolutely no way to measure Catherine's teaching performance against Wes'. Is Wes the better teacher because one of his students got into Yale? Or is Catherine the better teacher because one of her students who spent the first 6 months of school in juvenile detention managed to pass a state science test?

That doesn't even get into the vast majority of teachers who are not teaching subjects for which there is not even standardized testing done.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:05 pm Back in the day, Mennonites wouldn't be part of a labour union due to their association with coercion and violence.
fwiw, :-|
my interest in this topic was about NOTING whatever strikes might come up, not debates about their value, importance, etc.
this forum is relatively unique wrt preference for home schools and private schools.

regardless, ALL pay taxes for gov schools.
some home schoolers enroll their students in public school sports, possibly other classes?

strikes appear in current event reports, the topic comes up.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:36 pm Texas school districts also do not pay into social security and the meager pension is not portable so unless you teach for 40 straight years in Texas your retirement will be worse than had you simply paid into social security.
Virtually all public employees opt out of social security. They aren’t forced to. They could start paying into it like the rest of us are forced to.
What it means is that there are huge teacher shortages in Texas, especially in poorer rural areas. Because young college-educated teachers can make more money doing virtually anything else. Is that a good deal for parent, students, and taxpayers?
That is normal supply and demand. No labour union needed.
Josh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:07 pm"Pay for performance" is certainly possible. The teachers' unions simply don't want it (what kind of employee group would)? Again, the parents, students, and taxpayers get to lose, because poorly-performing teachers stick around and get paid full rate.
There are no teacher unions in Texas. A school I taught at in Texas in 2010 tried to implement it. The question is, how do you measure performance? Based on what? Test scores? Most subjects aren't tested in any standardized way, and also don't have standardized formative assessments to determine what students know when they enter your class. So there is no way to tell if you are testing learning or innate intelligence.

I was one of 3 physics teachers at that HS that year. Catherine across the hall from me taught mostly remedial and special ed students with smaller class sizes at a much slower pace. She had kids on her roster who were in juvenile detention for months at a time (but for which she was still the teacher of record), she had kids who would sporadically drop in and out, kids who had exceedingly low math and reading skills, and so forth. Kids with extreme behavioral problems, etc. I taught large mainstream regular physics classes to an ordinary mix of kids from below average to super-smart college bound kids with 4 other AP classes but who just weren't very into science. The department chair Wes, down the hall taught smaller elite classes of AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Physics C, and pre-AP Physics to very bright studious kids, many of whom were bound for Ivy League type schools and STEM And tech careers.

How do you rank and measure performance between the three physics teachers at that school? There is no state standardized physics test, just the standardized 10th and 11th grade science tests which only have physics at about an 8th grade level on them. The only one that counted towards graduation was the 11th grade one so lots of students just blew off the 10th grade one. Our student test scores distributed in the entirely predictable fashion with Catherine's students barely passing or failing. Mine almost entirely passing, and many of Wes' students getting perfect scores, but most of them could have passed it in their sleep before they even took his class.

So how do you distribute performance pay among the three physics teachers in that school? What happens is that the administrators who only have time to stop into your classroom a couple times a year anyway, are forced to do a giant amount of additional rating paperwork which ends up rating everyone equally and the whole thing is a giant waste of time. Because they have absolutely no way to measure Catherine's teaching performance against Wes'. Is Wes the better teacher because one of his students got into Yale? Or is Catherine the better teacher because one of her students who spent the first 6 months of school in juvenile detention managed to pass a state science test?

That doesn't even get into the vast majority of teachers who are not teaching subjects for which there is not even standardized testing done.
Every job I have had rated performance. Schools could figure it out too.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

APRIL 2024: Did not see this coming

Portland parents file $100M lawsuit against teachers union for losses during strike
https://katu.com/news/local/portland-pa ... ing-strike
.. Attorneys claim that the strike would have been much shorter if the bargaining only included mandatory subjects, lessening the impact on students and parents. The filing also alleges that much of what the strike sought, a 'paradigm shift,' is meant to be resolved by elected officials and not "closed-door union bargaining."

The attorneys say that the lawsuit is seeking damages for families impacted by education, time, and financial loss, as well as anxiety and confusion. The complaint also seeks to cancel the new contract passed by the unions and school district, saying it was "only entered unto under duress."

The four involved plaintiff families are asking to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation, their attorneys say.

The first step in this case is a complaint and investigation by the State of Oregon Employment Relations Board (ERB), a state agency charged with administering the state’s collective bargaining statutes. After the board, the parties may appeal the case to Oregon’s courts.
0 x

UNKNOWN