The problems with America's cities

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

The problems with America's cities

Post by Josh »

These are the kind of problems America has with its cities. Here is example #1:

And here is another one, from yesterday:
A 62-year-old woman was critically injured after she was repeatedly stabbed by another woman with a kitchen knife inside a Columbia University building Thursday afternoon.

The victim was arguing with her attacker, who cops described as an acquaintance, when the woman brought out the weapon and began assaulting her just before 4 p.m. inside the lobby of Jerome L. Greene Hall, at 435 West 116th St., police said.
That happened in the lobby of Columbia Law School, an elite law school in New York City.

There is clearly a serious problem with violence that is ratcheting up and getting worse in America's cities. Being in a state of denial about it won't make it better and won't make it go away. In another thread, Chris has asked for more Anabaptist families to settle in cities and try to be a witness there (Holdemans, Pilgrims, and Biblical Mennonite Allies have all done their best to answer that call and decamp to New York City in Harlem, Bronx, and Brooklyn, respectively).

But practical problems do emerge. If one wants to live in NYC, it is reasonable to try to use public transportation, but public transportation has become rather unsafe, such as with the recent incident of the late Mr Neely grabbing a woman and slamming her head into a subway car, or people being pushed onto the subway tracks.

I can deal with such violent situations myself, but I'd rather not put my defenceless wife or my young toddler son in those kind of situations.

Discuss.
0 x