POLL: How many hours a week do you work?

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

How many hours a week do you work?

0 - Retired/Disabled
13%
1-10
No votes
11-20
4%
21-30
4%
31-40
9%
41-50
39%
51-60
17%
61-70
4%
71+
9%

Total votes: 23

Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: POLL: How many hours a week do you work?

Post by Wade »

75+ hours a week.

Living costs have pretty well doubled for us the last couple years. We are nearing $4000/month just for food. I work a full time job and now have started my own business just to make it by here in Canada with huge inflation. $48/hr at 40, 50, or 60hrs per week just doesn’t provide enough for a single income large family…
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Wade wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:24 pm 75+ hours a week.

Living costs have pretty well doubled for us the last couple years. We are nearing $4000/month just for food. I work a full time job and now have started my own business just to make it by here in Canada with huge inflation. $48/hr at 40, 50, or 60hrs per week just doesn’t provide enough for a single income large family…
Great to hear from you Wade, and terribly sorry to hear about that kind of demand on you!!
Does that amount on food seem outrageous to anyone else? That's like 8x more than we spend, granted we only have 2 in our home.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:34 pm

Great to hear from you Wade, and terribly sorry to hear about that kind of demand on you!!
Does that amount on food seem outrageous to anyone else? That's like 8x more than we spend, granted we only have 2 in our home.
Food prices in Canada are unbelievable.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

My grocery bill for 2022 averaged exactly $1,895.92 per month. Averages $210.66 per person. This would include detergent as well. And probably some paper products. And diapers. Does not include eating at restaurants.
My grocery bill for 2016, averaged exactly $741.80 per month, or $105.98 per person, for the same stuff. I think in 2016 I raised some of our meat.

The difference in our grocery needs due to family demographic changes from 2016 - 2022, was children getting older, which was about equal to an additional 13 year old boy, 11 year old girl, 9 year old boy getting fed.
1 x
HeIsRisen
Affiliation: Apostolic

Post by HeIsRisen »

Selected 51-60. Salaried employee, so I get paid the same regardless of hours. I usually hover right at the 50 hours per week mark, but do get into the 60s when things are especially busy. However, I notice that when I start working more towards the 60-ish for an extended period of time, it's because I am doing something wrong and not being productive or prioritizing my time well.

Food prices are outrageous. 3 people at around 600 per month. It used to be closer to 400.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:34 pm Does that amount on food seem outrageous to anyone else? That's like 8x more than we spend, granted we only have 2 in our home.
Keep in mind that $4000 Canadian is around $3000 US, which of course is still quite a lot.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:46 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:34 pm Does that amount on food seem outrageous to anyone else? That's like 8x more than we spend, granted we only have 2 in our home.
Keep in mind that $4000 Canadian is around $3000 US, which of course is still quite a lot.
Thank you, forgot that difference but yes, incredibly challenging!! Almost scary. What are they trying to do? I don't know if Canada is one of those countries that is on board with others for depopulation, discouraging meat etc- I'm not sure what their reason is for charging so much
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

OP:
mike wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:14 am Inspired by the thread Work ethic advice for the next generation

For purposes of the poll, tally only the hours worked for profit.
^^i first wondered if you meant, profit, after annual taxes are paid?!
^^i haven’t followed this topic, just noticed this post! :( God have mercy. :(
i just told my daughter, when gov starts talking about tripling min wage, and throwing out economic stimulus payments, spending in multiple trillions, BRACE YOURSELF.

the question becomes, “how much worse?”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN