In the Name of “Mission Work” book about CAM/Mast

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

In the Name of “Mission Work” book about CAM/Mast

Post by Sliceitup »

I’m reading the book In the Name of “Mission Work” by Doeurldy Cadet. He was one of the earlier victims of Jeriah Mast. He later worked for CAM and I think his insights into the organization are really important.

Starting the thread for any discussion on the book and it’s contents.
1 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Re: In the Name of “Mission Work” book about CAM/Mast

Post by Joy »

I bought it on Kindle and am reading it, also. Parts of it are making me cry.

I've seen the cultic control atmosphere mentioned regarding that Haitian church, in at least one other large church. Very unchristian.
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

For more reference:
P.27 / “Randal Martin on the CAM/Jeriah Debacle”
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 14#p175614
randalm wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:18 pm A survivor of CAM and Jeriah’s abuse tells his story. It’s fresh off the press and can be purchased on Amazon.

https://inthenameofmissionwork.com

https://amzn.to/3Yx5vZJ
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Post by undershepherd »

Wow! I just finished reading this book. What a terrible story, but what amazing grace. The first half of the book is heart breaking and hard to read. The last couple chapters are gold. The author is to be commended for his very direct calls for change in Christian institutions and individuals and his thoughtful and gracious suggestions for what that change might look like.

Every missionary or aspiring mission worker absolutely must read this book. Every pastor, church leader, or institutional leader in the conservative Anabaptist world needs to read this book.

If you read this book and become defensive of CAM or other mission agencies, you have totally missed the point, and might ought to take a good look in the mirror.
3 x
Sliceitup

Post by Sliceitup »

undershepherd wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:18 pm Wow! I just finished reading this book. What a terrible story, but what amazing grace. The first half of the book is heart breaking and hard to read. The last couple chapters are gold. The author is to be commended for his very direct calls for change in Christian institutions and individuals and his thoughtful and gracious suggestions for what that change might look like.

Every missionary or aspiring mission worker absolutely must read this book. Every pastor, church leader, or institutional leader in the conservative Anabaptist world needs to read this book.

If you read this book and become defensive of CAM or other mission agencies, you have totally missed the point, and might ought to take a good look in the mirror.
It really is a thought provoking read. I was very impressed with his thoughts on power dynamics in both native Haitian churches and mission groups.
3 x
Sliceitup

Post by Sliceitup »

Doeurldy writes a lot about his history of questioning church leaders when he felt they weren’t handling situations properly. He doesn’t explicitly point this out when he details his abuse by Mast, but it definitely came to my mind that a boy/man who was willing to speak truth to power in uncomfortable situations also wasn’t going to be an easy victim for a predator. And that’s basically what happened.

I could expound on this, but I think the implications are fairly clear.
1 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

undershepherd wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:18 pm Wow! I just finished reading this book. What a terrible story, but what amazing grace. The first half of the book is heart breaking and hard to read. The last couple chapters are gold. The author is to be commended for his very direct calls for change in Christian institutions and individuals and his thoughtful and gracious suggestions for what that change might look like.

Thanks for this review. My wife says we don't need any heavy reading just now, so I will have to (not so patiently) wait. It seems like a polarizing work. Either folks want to read it, or folks do not want to have anything to do with it. There are fascinating responses to it for sure.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Signtist wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:32 am Thanks for this review. My wife says we don't need any heavy reading just now, so I will have to (not so patiently) wait. It seems like a polarizing work. Either folks want to read it, or folks do not want to have anything to do with it. There are fascinating responses to it for sure.
This is where I am. I am years behind in reading. I should take the time and catch up.
Last edited by steve-in-kville on Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:36 am This is where I am. I am years behind in reading. I should take the time and catch up.
This one will make the top of my list in the new year. After read 3 of Brant Hanson's books.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I don't know of anyone at CAM (or any of those who CAM terminated) who justifies the atrocities that happened in Haiti under CAM's watch.

I haven't read the book yet, but I expect that all the bad things that are mentioned in the book, I would agree with as being bad.
Regardless of whether or not these things are presented accurately and fairly, there is likely some truth in everything the author says.
Mature people who are familiar with the situtions being described should be able to identify the truth in what is being said, even if it is not presented accurately or fairly.

The question in my mind is whether the opinions and insinunations in the book are coming from the author, or whether they are the views of the "multitude" of individuals in the US who sent almost daily emails telling him what to include in the book.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"