In touch with your inner economists?

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: In touch with your inner economists?

Post by Ken »

justme wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:15 pm
Arrange to own housing and provide free or rent stabilised housing to workers. If your employees’ rents don’t go up, you won’t have to raise their wages as much.
i think this is a really bad idea.
Not something I would do.

Rental laws and employment laws do not remotely align. Employment is often "at-will" in many states. Rental housing is not.

If you fire someone or they walk off the job and quit it might take you 6 months or a year to evict them from your employee-provided housing while they trash the place and don't pay rent. And, of course, make life miserable for all your other employees living in the same location.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Arrange to own housing and provide free or rent stabilised housing to workers. If your employees’ rents don’t go up, you won’t have to raise their wages as much.
Yeah, the company town model basically produced economic slavery for the workers who weren't paid enough to live anywhere else but had to pay rent to the company even when their wages and hours were cut during a recession (the textbook case is the Pullman company). That approach fell out of favor a hundred years ago, for good reason.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:25 pm

Rental laws and employment laws do not remotely align. Employment is often "at-will" in many states. Rental housing is not.

If you fire someone or they walk off the job and quit it might take you 6 months or a year to evict them from your employee-provided housing while they trash the place and don't pay rent. And, of course, make life miserable for all your other employees living in the same location.
Where I live you evict someone with a 3 day notice and month to month rents are common.

It is quite common in the Mennonite world to include free or reduced cost housing.

But then again, my main focus on employment isn’t “make sure it’s really easy and stress free to fire people”.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:18 pm
Yeah, the company town model basically produced economic slavery for the workers who weren't paid enough to live anywhere else but had to pay rent to the company even when their wages and hours were cut during a recession (the textbook case is the Pullman company). That approach fell out of favor a hundred years ago, for good reason.
… shouldn’t they be able to get another job and pay a market rent?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:28 pm
justme wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:15 pm i think this is a really bad idea.

Where I live you evict someone with a 3 day notice and month to month rents are common.

It is quite common in the Mennonite world to include free or reduced cost housing.

But then again, my main focus on employment isn’t “make sure it’s really easy and stress free to fire people”.
The 3-day notice is just the start of the process. The landlord still needs to go to court after the 3-day notice expires and get an eviction order which can take weeks depending on the court's docket, and then wait to schedule and eviction with the sheriff or bailiff. And then hope that there is no national emergency like a pandemic which puts evictions on hold. What is the average length of the eviction process in Ohio? I'm betting longer than a month and Ohio is an especially easy state to do evictions. In some states it can take a whole lot longer especially if the tenant is especially clever and malicious.

Is that something you want to hassle with when dealing with a disgruntled employee who you fired for cause?

Employers already have too much power over many people's lives. I wouldn't support expanding that to housing as well. You should be able to go from job to job without losing your housing.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:38 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:28 pm

The 3-day notice is just the start of the process. The landlord still needs to go to court after the 3-day notice expires and get an eviction order which can take weeks depending on the court's docket, and then wait to schedule and eviction with the sheriff or bailiff. And then hope that there is no national emergency like a pandemic which puts evictions on hold. What is the average length of the eviction process in Ohio? I'm betting longer than a month and Ohio is an especially easy state to do evictions. In some states it can take a whole lot longer especially if the tenant is especially clever and malicious.

Is that something you want to hassle with when dealing with a disgruntled employee who you fired for cause?

Employers already have too much power over many people's lives. I wouldn't support expanding that to housing as well. You should be able to go from job to job without losing your housing.
Takes under 30 days. Federal eviction ban only applies if your house has a federally backed loan on it.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

This morning I got an email from a cardboard national cardboard company, announcing that they are reducing hours from 5 days/24 hours to 4 days/20 hours. This isn't the only one. These box companies and pallet companies are sort of canaries in the coal mine because they are providing such a wide range of industries deep into the supply chains.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

A cardboard national cardboard company? Is that something like a straw company, only with cardboard cutouts instead of straw men running it?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:57 pm
barnhart wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:46 am Steve, how do you integrate the labor shortage with the inflation/collapsing economy. I not a macro economist but it seems those narratives conflict.
Shoot off of the labor shortage thread. Comment on your theories as to what the economy will do as the pandemic is winding down. I'll allow some politics as long as everyone is nice to each other 8-)
Sorry Barnhart I missed this here and in the other thread. But others have already given some good answers. Labour shortages have been predicted to happen around now already over 30 years ago based on the amount of people that will be retiring right now as compared to those entering the labour force.
But partly due to Covid it is happening even faster than anticipated. Many people took early retirement partly because of Covid and partly because with extremely fast inflation suddenly making them much richer on paper than they though5 was possible. Many people have sold expensive big homes in the city and moved to smaller places in more remote areas and have hundreds of thousands of dollars left over to live on.
Inflation has largely been caused because of the large amount of cash our governments have poured into the economy. The recession that is coming will be a result of the governments running out of that cash as interest rates rise and less people are working. Also keep in mind that more people are working for the governments than ever before with less people to pay their wages. This is not sustainable. The labour shortage we have now is simply a blip that I predict will start disappearing very quickly. Perhaps as early as the end of next year.
On the positive side because there are less qualified young people coming into the workforce the opportunities for hardworking enterprising people will continue to be very good at least for the next 20 years. For those that were struggling before this however I think things could get very bad very quickly. And that does not even take into account the huge potentials of upheaval that may come from social unrest.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:18 pm
The local Cornwall steel mines did this. Had a company store and everything. As mentioned, that model would not survive any more.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/