Sattler College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Sattler College Turmoil

Post by RZehr »

I don’t know, but it would only have to be a tiny percent to hit 100.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:38 pmMy point was about higher education in general, not Sattler in specific. What is the percentage of youth from the most conservative Mennonite groups who get 4-year college degrees?
Ultra-conservative Mennonites - 0%
Intermediate-conservative Mennonites - 1/2%
Moderate-conservative Mennonites - 1%
Progressive-conservative Mennonites - ???
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:45 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:38 pmMy point was about higher education in general, not Sattler in specific. What is the percentage of youth from the most conservative Mennonite groups who get 4-year college degrees?
Right. So it isn't surprising that Sattler isn't getting very many of them. Plus, I would guess that that a portion of the above are going to college for very specific technical/professional skills like nursing, agronomy, accounting, etc. that Sattler doesn't offer.

So it seems very unsurprising that a majority of Menno students attending Sattler are from more liberal groups.
Last edited by Ken on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

My guess on the Progressives is 10-20%. Probably more like 10...
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:48 pm
Charity-type (Non-ethnic Menno) Kingdom Anabaptists - more yet
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:41 pm I don’t know, but it would only have to be a tiny percent to hit 100.
Yeah but Sattler isn't a good fit for many. (No nursing program, music program, or school teaching program...so many who do go probably to another school that has those majors...)
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Dan Z wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:49 pm
joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:48 pm
Charity-type Non-ethnic Kingdom Anabaptists - more yet
I think the key here is "non ethnic." Not many Charity types go if they are ethnically Anabaptists...probably again less than 10%. Folks who aren't ethnically Menno...are much more likely to have that liberal arts value.
1 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Seems like the reality is setting in. Trying to set up a classically liberal academic institutions leads to classically liberal results ie. progressivism. I always thought Finny was being incredibly naive in his longer term vision.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sliceitup wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:15 pm This explains some things. It has crossed my mind that the school seems very small, and yet is located, from what I understand, right in Boston, which seems like an expensive place to get real estate. And expensive lodging for students.
Perhaps it's time to revisit a prediction from 23 months ago today:
Josh wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:24 pm If my predictions hold true, it’ll be the next EMU. (EMU was started because Goshen was getting too liberal.)

EMU has plummeting enrolment and a budget crisis, and Harrisonburg isn’t exactly a place young, hip students are clamouring to go.

Sattler is in Boston in the middle of the city, which appeals to youth who want to go some place “fun”. It has backers with deep pockets and the excitement of a new school with climbing enrolment, along with promises to parents, donors, and church leaders that the school is very dedicated to being “conservative”.

With that said, I fully expect Sattler to end up like EMU is.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

I’ve heard Finny’s name before but never paid much attention. But just a general search tells me that he holds a lot of degrees, but none of them seem to be anything that would be helpful in running a financial management firm. Maybe computer science. Where did the money come from to get all these degrees?

Sorry if this is off topic, but I’m curious about this person who can single-handedly finance a college in what seems like a vanity project.
Kuruvilla holds an MD from Harvard Medical School, a PhD in Chemistry and Chemical Biology from Harvard University, a master’s degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from MIT, and a bachelor’s degree from Caltech in Chemistry.
0 x