Sattler College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Sattler College Turmoil

Post by Ken »

Olympas wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:53 am Sattler purchases lab space.
https://r.mtdv.me/articles/Sattler-lab-purchase
What kind of buggy malware-laden web site are you trying to send us to? That is a url from Montenegro which is a favorite domain name for scammers and there is all kinds of weird popup nonsense there.

If Sattler is actually expanding buying labs and expanding its lab space, why would they keep it secret and not announce it on their own home page? You would think that would be something a normal college would promote.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:41 pm
jahertz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:20 am Interesting.

Would anyone happen to know offhand how many of Dean's children continued earning their degrees and graduated at Sattler after he wrote this letter?
Rather than cracking on Dean, maybe it would be better to point out that if this is true, which I will know for sure later today, that they have answered one of my VALID criticisms of Sattler.
It's probably just me, but I'm struggling to extract any meaning from this comment (aside from the curious implication that you've leveled both valid and invalid criticisms at Sattler, and that one of the former is in view here).

Would you be willing to elaborate for the slow-minded among us?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

jahertz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:08 pm
jahertz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:20 am Interesting.

Would anyone happen to know offhand how many of Dean's children continued earning their degrees and graduated at Sattler after he wrote this letter?
Rather than cracking on Dean, maybe it would be better to point out that if this is true, which I will know for sure later today, that they have answered one of my VALID criticisms of Sattler.
It's probably just me, but I'm struggling to extract any meaning from this comment (aside from the curious implication that you've leveled both valid and invalid criticisms at Sattler, and that one of the former is in view here).

I think he’s saying if Sattler has purchased lab space it’s a good thing. And he would encourage you to confirm if they have.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:54 pm

I think he’s saying if Sattler has purchased lab space it’s a good thing. And he would encourage you to confirm if they have.
Wife: I actually think they are discussing the letter from Dean, and I have no idea if his children continued with their degree. I would assume that the ones who were working on it were adults at the time.

I know the adult baptism thing has bothered me before because of the people who decided they needed re-baptized because they were told they were too young to as a teenager to make that decision. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I was basically told that the youngest baptism they accepted as valid from another church (it being a case to case basis) was someone who was baptized at 16 or 17.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

Are you confusing me with someone else? I don't represent Sattler and I haven't made any claims about labs that I could "confirm."
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

No, you have not made any claim, but you showed up as soon as a claim was made that they had gotten lab space. Coincidence? Maybe. But is it not a bit of interesting timing.

Yes. That has been my number one criticism, and from professional experience, I can state that it is valid. IF you are going to teach life science, you need lab time. For anatomy lab, you need as much time as you need, and that is frequently more than a school could rent. If someone goes on to a healthcare discipline without a firm knowledge of anatomy, you are in a position where you may struggle to recover, if you recover at all. Maybe my class was more compulsive than most, but many of us would head over to the lab in the evening. One exercise was to blindfold someone, hand them a disarticulated bone, and expect them to identify the bone, and the laterality. This may sound odd to some, but we were the only class in the programs history whee 100% of those who entered graduated, and subsequently passed the boards.

As to Dean's children, they are irrelevant. Maybe you should lay off, Sattler has enough skeletons in the closet. And not in their lab, there they could use more.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:56 pm

Wife: I actually think they are discussing the letter from Dean, and I have no idea if his children continued with their degree. I would assume that the ones who were working on it were adults at the time.

I know the adult baptism thing has bothered me before because of the people who decided they needed re-baptized because they were told they were too young to as a teenager to make that decision. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I was basically told that the youngest baptism they accepted as valid from another church (it being a case to case basis) was someone who was baptized at 16 or 17.
Them claiming to set an age and reject other local churches judgment is basically to suggest that other churches are either defective in judgment, or doctrinally unsound. Effectively, it is a "One True Church" claim.
0 x
:hug:
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:37 pm
jahertz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:31 pm Are you confusing me with someone else? I don't represent Sattler and I haven't made any claims about labs that I could "confirm."
No, you have not made any claim, but you showed up as soon as a claim was made that they had gotten lab space. Coincidence? Maybe. But is it not a bit of interesting timing.
I mean, someone without much imagination might conclude that a bunch of people who are following this thread, including yourself, noticed that something new had been posted and "showed up" to see what it was.

But that's likely too boring an explanation to be admissible in a place like Mennonet. And far be it from me to undermine your theory that I'm a secret Sattler or FOTW plant.

And before you protest—no, I don't remember whether you actually suggested that. But if it wasn't you it was someone else posting around the same time you did.

Coincidence? Maybe. But interesting timing nonetheless.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: you know, right after that sketchy lab link, my husband posted the thing about two PDFs (letters from Dean and from marlin weaver), and what jahertz posted afterwards sounded like a response to Dean Taylor‘s letter (which mentioned his children who were planning on completing their degrees) and nothing to do with labs. no idea if he works for Sattler or not, but I don’t think he was referencing the labs at all.

Edit: don’t click that lab link, it does not have anything to do with Sattler and might be a virus
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:41 am Speaking of Sattler, I’ve got two pdf’s, one wrote by Dean and the other by Marlin.
I’ll have to fiddle with my setting on gmail before I can share it, but in the meantime, if you want to read it, I can email it.

Dean starts with the question

Should I send My Child to Sattler College?

He lists off several reasons as to why not and concludes its a bad idea.

The pdf is too big to post here but again, happy to send it.
By the way, I haven't seen this and would love to have a copy. I sent you an email so you should have what you need. Many thanks.
0 x