Sattler College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Sattler College Turmoil

Post by Josh »

jahertz wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:52 pm This is interesting:

Sattler to Johns Hopkins MD-PhD
Is it? People from non-notable institutions frequently make such moves.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Admissions to highly selective medical schools SHOULDN'T be based on the pedigree of the undergraduate school one attended, but rather the talent and ability of the applicant. Of course we all know that isn't true and that Ivy League schools and the equivalent have more success getting their students into professional schools. Partly that is because they start with a more elite group of students to begin with. Partly it is reputation.

But congratulations to this student for making it.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

Ken wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:17 pm Of course we all know that isn't true and that Ivy League schools and the equivalent have more success getting their students into professional schools. Partly that is because they start with a more elite group of students to begin with. Partly it is reputation.
Exactly. When students from a new Christian college with NO clout or reputation are getting accepted into elite medical schools, it's fairly certain they're being selected based on merit, not prestige.

Which is worth thinking about in light of the copious hand-wringing in this thread over how Sattler is allegedly setting up its students for failed careers by not having [checks notes] the right financial structure, or onsite labs, or, or, or...
0 x
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

Josh wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:25 pm
jahertz wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:52 pm This is interesting:

Sattler to Johns Hopkins MD-PhD
Is it? People from non-notable institutions frequently make such moves.
My comment on the video link referred to the recorded conversation itself and its relevance to this thread, not to the bare fact that a Sattler student got accepted into an elite medical school. For those of us with friends and family who have been enrolled at Sattler, that part is unsurprising.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

jahertz wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:35 pm
Exactly. When students from a new Christian college with NO clout or reputation are getting accepted into elite medical schools, it's fairly certain they're being selected based on merit, not prestige.

Which is worth thinking about in light of the copious hand-wringing in this thread over how Sattler is allegedly setting up its students for failed careers by not having [checks notes] the right financial structure, or onsite labs, or, or, or...
I have no doubt that the college academics is very qualified. My concerns are more targeted at theological directions. The financial side is concerning because of the “charter” that various board members (who resigned) seem to think wasn’t being followed. This is applicable to the theological stuff.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

Soloist wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:03 pm

I have no doubt that the college academics is very qualified. My concerns are more targeted at theological directions. The financial side is concerning because of the “charter” that various board members (who resigned) seem to think wasn’t being followed. This is applicable to the theological stuff.
Yes, my comment referred to the academic concerns that were raised here, not the theological ones.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Academically, it’s probably on par with a community college or a directional state university.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:43 pm Academically, it’s probably on par with a community college or a directional state university.
They at least have labs and more than 2 professors in the entire field of natural sciences.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:21 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:43 pm Academically, it’s probably on par with a community college or a directional state university.
They at least have labs and more than 2 professors in the entire field of natural sciences.
The community college I almost attended 24 years ago actually had surprisingly good labs. They also had more active student chapters in things like AITP than the private college I went to did.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

jahertz wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:46 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:03 pm

Yes, my comment referred to the academic concerns that were raised here, not the theological ones.
Getting in largely requires a good MCAT score.

Getting out requires actual knowledge and training.

We will see if they make the clinical cut after two years. BTW, it is common knowledge here that at Hopkins, medical students only have limited interaction with faculty in clinical settings. Their emphasis is research. A state school like Maryland, while less prestigious will give you far more interaction with faculty, as the primary responsibility of faculty is teaching.

I suspect the Mennonite work ethic has far more to do with this thsn anything Sattler has done.
0 x
:hug: