Sattler College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Sattler College Turmoil

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Just to put this into context, I did some asking around, both my wife’s undergrad school (Towson University) and mine (University of Maryland) have had students admitted to the Med School at Hopkins. So it does not require an “elite “ education, just a good student, with good writing and interviewing skills.

Both of the above are state universities, and what I would call midrange, after all, we got into, and out of them.

Going to Hopkins also requires a willingness to take on LOTS of debt. It is far more pricey than in state tuition at your state university.
0 x
:hug:
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:26 pm Just to put this into context, I did some asking around, both my wife’s undergrad school (Towson University) and mine (University of Maryland) have had students admitted to the Med School at Hopkins. So it does not require an “elite “ education, just a good student, with good writing and interviewing skills.

Both of the above are state universities, and what I would call midrange, after all, we got into, and out of them.

Going to Hopkins also requires a willingness to take on LOTS of debt. It is far more pricey than in state tuition at your state university.
It is $64,600 per year not including fees. So roughly $250,000 for all 4 years give or take, plus room and board for Baltimore. Except that is just for med school and this student is doing an MD/PhD program which is more like 8 years. So figure a cool half million unless he gets some sort of research assistantship for the PhD part. Which is probably likely.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:26 pm Going to Hopkins also requires a willingness to take on LOTS of debt. It is far more pricey than in state tuition at your state university.
Is it possible you've forgotten to account for the Mennonite Work Ethic® again?

For instance, a different Sattler graduate I'm close to is currently being offered a full merit-based scholarship at Washington University School of Medicine, where base tuition runs just north of 67,000/year.

Edit:

Inconveniently, this particular Sattler graduate has never actually been a member of a Mennonite church, but I see no need to let that stop us from crediting all his success to his Mennoniteness. After all, like all people who work hard, he is descended from ethnic Mennonites.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

jahertz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:29 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:26 pm Going to Hopkins also requires a willingness to take on LOTS of debt. It is far more pricey than in state tuition at your state university.

For instance, a different Sattler graduate I'm close to is currently being offered a full merit-based scholarship at Washington University School of Medicine, where base tuition runs just north of 67,000/year.

Edit:

Inconveniently, this particular Sattler graduate has never actually been a member of a Mennonite church, but I see no need to let that stop us from crediting all his success to his Mennoniteness. After all, like all people who work hard, he is descended from ethnic Mennonites.
I hope this student does not get sucked into a one year promise with impossible grade targets for year 2-4. My youngest daughter got offered one of those. Target for the year 2 was 3.5. Good luck on that.

In any case, getting admitted to Hopkins puts you in a league with…..Towson State. For In state students, you could likely graduate with zero debt. My niece just did.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:54 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:26 pm Just to put this into context, I did some asking around, both my wife’s undergrad school (Towson University) and mine (University of Maryland) have had students admitted to the Med School at Hopkins. So it does not require an “elite “ education, just a good student, with good writing and interviewing skills.

It is $64,600 per year not including fees. So roughly $250,000 for all 4 years give or take, plus room and board for Baltimore. Except that is just for med school and this student is doing an MD/PhD program which is more like 8 years. So figure a cool half million unless he gets some sort of research assistantship for the PhD part. Which is probably likely.
I knew a resident at my former job that had half a million in debt, starting a five year residency/fellowship. Interest continues to accrue.
0 x
js91
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by js91 »

Has anybody claimed that Bryant was admitted to Johns Hopkins because of an “elite education,” or that he couldn’t have possibly gotten in from another undergraduate institution? I think most of us here are clear-minded about the fact that a variety of factors contributed to his acceptance: a good MCAT score (for which he largely credits his Sattler professors), professional connections (both at Sattler and an outside lab), ambition, eagerness, individual attention from faculty (mostly due to the staff:student ratio at Sattler), and luck. Bryant mentions all these elements in the interview, which anybody with a stable internet connection can access. He is honest about the fact that Sattler lacks some institutional resources (namely, research labs) that other schools have. He also explains how the school's physical location in Boston and connections to other facilities have afforded him laboratory opportunities, nonetheless.

Anybody who knows Bryant is aware that he is possessed of a great intellect and work ethic, and nobody has denied that these qualities contributed mightily to his success. I have no connection to Sattler and wouldn’t attend there myself for a variety of reasons. But some persons in this thread seem so thoroughly vexed by the idea that Sattler might have played a role in getting him to this point that they have resorted to some very silly arguments. It’s ok for people to have quality educational experiences at institutions for which you don’t hold any deep personal affection.

While it may be true that Johns Hopkins is a research-heavy institution, I imagine that Bryant is probably aware of this and will bravely bear that cross, since his love of research is likely his primary reason for choosing an MD-PhD program over a typical medical school route. I also don’t foresee the debt being an insurmountable obstacle, since the program is fully funded with a living stipend.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I think what some of us are asserting is that Sattler is equivalent in quality to a directional state university, or perhaps a regional campus of Directional State.

Also, I’m impressed Bryant survived 4 years of Sattler without being a “member” anywhere. Of course, the denomination that runs Sattler teaches against formal Mennonite style “membership”, yet they have their own rather strict membership standards - they just don’t call it that.
0 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Wow!… I guess the rest of us are all 2nd class if all people who work hard descend from ethnic Mennonites!
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

NedFlanders wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:47 pm

Wow!… I guess the rest of us are all 2nd class if all people who work hard descend from ethnic Mennonites!
I'm descended from ethnic Mennonites and I'm kind of lazy. So I guess there is a spectrum :lol:

In any event, the percentage of med students in this country who are ethnic Mennonites is probably LESS than their percentage of the overall population. So that fact that one of them is in med school doesn't necessarily say anything. The vast majority of med students and doctors aren't ethnic Mennonites.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

NedFlanders wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:47 pm

You have to realize that jahertz doesn't actually mean that - he was just mocking JM for his reference to Menno work ethic.
0 x